Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

DesertGal

Four-Month Surgiversary!

Rate this Entry
Four-Month Surgiversary!
When I started the process in December 2016 to "go for it", and take control of my out of control weight, I couldn't possibly have imagined that I'd be wearing a size MEDIUM by summertime and feeling 20 years younger! But by God I am wearing a medium AND feel 20 years younger.

My BMI index was over 40 in January (41 in December) and it’s now 26.5. I have gone from 2 and 3x in tops to a Large (which are now too large) and my pant size went from a 22 down to a medium 8/10 (in athletic shorts). Over 42.5” are gone from my neck, chest, breasts, waist and hips. I am thankful I measured in those early days.

Has it been easy? Are there days when I have regrets? No, it hasn’t always been easy for me because I had major issues consuming food in the first couple months. I was lucky to get in ¼ cup of anything per meal and was starving myself (unbeknownst to me). I forced myself to start eating more and still have problems getting in MORE, but I am doing it. I track everything on MFP and now am at 700-800 calories a day with carbs ranging anywhere around 10-20g and sugar at 4-7g a day. Fat is low too. I faithfully take all of my vitamins and supplements and BIOTIN daily. That’s an important thing to do. I do have sleep issues since surgery but that's something I am working on.

Regrets? Not really. I watch my family eat things I used to eat, and know I can’t eat like ‘that’ any longer and I am OK with it. At those moments I immediately think of all the positives I have gained since the surgery and the joy of scarfing out becomes a distant memory. (NO more high bp meds, cholesterol meds, diabetic medication I was to start in December). My taste buds have changed, I don’t care what anyone else says, and things I really loved before do NOT taste the same to me. As long as my chicken breast, tuna fish, meatballs, broccoli and salad tastes the same… I’m good.

I have lost 91 pounds (NINETY ONE!) and it's due to eating what I SHOULD be eating, and getting in exercise. Even in this HOT Las Vegas heat, I walk early in the mornings and go to the gym to use the weight training equipment. For me, you have got to MOVE. Get in some form of exercise, even if you are not into that. The more I walk and drink water and get that extra protein in per day, I am guaranteed to have lost ½ - 1 pound by the next morning. I have hit a couple stalls but I never gained more than 2-3 pounds (and I quickly found out that was due to NOT being able to have a BM. Once I did… I lost 2 pounds.
I am not in any race to see how fast I could lose this girth, and fortunately for me, the pounds are - and have been- coming off.

So to those people who are considering this surgery, Yes, it is a scary thought and I was filled with anxiety. But I can attest that it is much healthier to feel GOOD and be off all medications related to obesity (as I was on). I LOVED food and LOVED to eat (isn’t that why most of us are here on this site?) and it has been trying at times, but you have to take control before it’s out of CONTROL.

I am 59 years old- hitting the big 6-0 in the fall- and I want to be around for a long time for my family. Having family is motivation enough to take drastic measures, but I felt extremely motivated to be here, for my husband and daughters. My daughters are completely dependent upon my husband and I. (One has Down syndrome, the other cerebral palsy) and I know I couldn’t have continued on, in the shape I was in.

SO I am celebrating my 4 months since surgery a little happier today! A lot happier today!
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JanJULY4MOcollageCROPSMALL.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	198.1 KB 
ID:	26923

Submit "Four-Month Surgiversary!" to Digg Submit "Four-Month Surgiversary!" to del.icio.us Submit "Four-Month Surgiversary!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Four-Month Surgiversary!" to Google

Comments

(Major goosebumps!!!) I am so proud of you for all your hard work and your commitment to getting healthy! 91 pounds is so wonderful ~ you look fantastic!!!

Thank you for always being so willing to share your journey and help others along theirs. You are definitely a very big inspiration for me xo
    Looking fabulous!

Stay the course my friend!

Xoxoxo
    Thank You Ladies!
    You look so damn good!! You look so much younger now. Happy anniversary!!
    Congratulations! You should be so proud of yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    You look so damn good!! You look so much younger now. Happy anniversary!!
    I think I do look younger when I look in the mirror... that extra FAT adds not only heaviness, but adds on YEARS! Much happier too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda51
    Congratulations! You should be so proud of yourself!
    I am proud, this has been WORK. Anyone who thinks we took the easy way out having the surgery, is Crazy!
    So amazing! You have put in the hard work and it screams look at me! Well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertGal
    I think I do look younger when I look in the mirror... that extra FAT adds not only heaviness, but adds on YEARS! Much happier too.

And being happier is THE BEST NSV!!!!
    You look amazing. I haven't got my surgery scheduled yet only been to the seminar. I am pretty nervous. I am afraid I will fail. I like everyone else love coke, sweets,hamburgers and food in general. But I want to be healthy again. I once lost 69 lbs and kept it off for years. I remember how good it felt and I want that back. Thank you for your post. I will be reading more.