Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sandra3

18 month post-op, last time I see my team!

Rate this Entry
Yesterday was my last post-op at the hospital. A little sad I must say, to say goodbye to my amazing surgeon and his lovely team. They all have been great since the start of the journey, for sure I will miss them but we promised to stay in touch!

My doc was very happy about my progress. My body composition does show that I've been losing more fat and no muscle which is great. I did ask him if it was going to be doable to achieve my goal, he said it could take one more year but I'm on the right path! dealing with hormonal issues it's normal to be a really slow looser and so far I did achieve a lot and no regain at 18 months is a very good sign for the future from what he said. Also he did tell me that some of the stubborn fat and extra skin would be better out with the help of a plastic surgeon, I told him I will see one in September.

I had surgery with a 38 bougie and with my age, multiple health issues, I'm really happy that today I'm not scared to regain weight any more. Of course it's a long road in front of me but my body composition do show I could lose more, my surgeon is confident I can hope for around 20 pounds so I will just need to be extra patient and continue to focus on nutrition and add extra exercise to my routine. I was hoping for 30 but I might need to change my goal and that's ok.

Yesterday I had lots of water retention showing on the body composition so I will need to weight myself when I'm out of the sauna for good to really know what's my "real weight". Since I took the allergy medication last month and gained 4 pounds, I lost it (again took a long time!) but I'm still bloated from the heat and drinking so much, so going back home will probably give me some good surprises on the scale side. Yesterday when packing I was able for the first time to squeeze into a 14P pants (which is my goal size!!) so I'm guessing I'm probably ten pounds away from being comfortable in that size.

Blood tests results should be out in a few days, I'm hoping my deficiencies are getting better!

Submit "18 month post-op, last time I see my team!" to Digg Submit "18 month post-op, last time I see my team!" to del.icio.us Submit "18 month post-op, last time I see my team!" to StumbleUpon Submit "18 month post-op, last time I see my team!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congrats on your continued success! Sounds like you're focused and on the right path!
    Quote Originally Posted by JLPSch
    Congrats on your continued success! Sounds like you're focused and on the right path!
    Thanks for the support my friend!
    It's always interesting to discuss with the surgeon because he has the experience of thousands of patients and told me he knew that I was going to do great since the start (hum...I was not that certain..), and it was confirmed when I reached 9 months because that's usually when people who "are not in the right path" start to regain. He also said that the fact that I always showed up for the post-op visits and I'm so involved in nutrition do show I'm persistent and that's the key for success.
    I must say persistence is not always my best quality (also because I'm so busy) but it's true that I do feel confident now, even if a few months ago I was still scared I was going to fail..I mean...months fly, kilos are not coming back but still going away...it does feel like a kind of miracle sometimes but now I know it's here to stay .
    Sandra, congrats on all you've accomplished thus far. I'm glad you're feeling confident -- you deserve to feel that way.

The truly big challenge of this whole thing is that it is never, never, ever, ever over. It's not like "your cancer is cured" or "your new hip joint has healed perfectly" or "your gall bladder will never give you any trouble again." No matter how well you've lost or maintained up to this point, you still have to wake up tomorrow morning and do it all over again. We each have to adjust to that reality. But it is wonderful to see that we CAN do it. I'm so happy you are there.
    Sandra, I love your heartfelt blogs. I see you, and I feel your struggle. You are a beautiful warrior and I know this is not a fight you will give up Ever!

It is fortunate, and what a blessing all around, that you are able to consult with a plastic surgeon. That's a luxury and far distant fantasy for me, for now. I just have to make peace with I got going on right now.

It's funny though, everyday that I get dressed I have a slight fear that my clothes won't fit me, it is such a relief and surreal feeling when they do and in fact looser than the days or weeks before. I guess it will take a while to get used to our new body/weight/size? I just don't want to wake up one day to not able to fit into my clothes.
    You are a work in progress. You have done such amazing things given the complexity of living in areas where it is hard to get the foods you need to help in your process. You have accomplished what many of us would not have been able to in those circumstances. We had it easy with plenty of access to everything imaginable. I am always amazed at how much you have done. You are awesome!! I know that getting back home will just continue you on your path. Big hugs!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    Sandra, congrats on all you've accomplished thus far. I'm glad you're feeling confident -- you deserve to feel that way.
    Knowing for several years that my obesity is genetic (and I gave it to my youngest) I will never forget that it's a fragile balance. And being a slow loser doesn't help because it's seems the journey is for ever...I mean I really want to reach my goal weight at some point...but those three episodes of gaining weight after the sleeve (because of different medications) did show me that now it's possible to lose that weight again. Before it was a battle lost. Now I have more power!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    It is fortunate, and what a blessing all around, that you are able to consult with a plastic surgeon.
    I love to read you too!

I know it's lucky I can have access to plastic surgery. But actually those surgery post-bariatric are considered reconstructive, that's why our national health insurance refund it. I was reading that lately prices are going up so I should make up my mind before the rules change.
    There's many medications that are not refunded anymore.
    We do pay lots of taxes, but we do have access to almost free medicine, that's really lucky indeed.
    I saw to surgeon last July here in Taiwan but here they don't have experience with surgery on patient being previously morbidly obese so they didn't know how to put back my muscles together. So my bariatric surgeon advised me to do it in France. Last year exactly one year ago my tummy was really painful, now it's much better.
    So I will see what the professor say, I might need to lose more weight if my muscle issue can wait...don't know! the major surgery is my tummy (it does scare the hell out of me!) but it's really needed...the batwings...hum...I want it but can't really cope with that many surgeries...I don't know what I will decide for the arm lift, but I know if I had an other insurance and they wouldn't pay for the tummy I would go to Mexico to do it.

Today was my last day for the move, container is closed. What was really funny was to see the very same team that did our move when we arrived. They couldn't believe "I melted so much" and the boss told me I was beautiful! how sweet! my husband was next to him when he told me that, I could see hubby smiling....but back to the move I found in the storage room a few suits I can now wear
    I hate moving but love good surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    You are a work in progress.
    Right before the surgery we bought a bigger house in France, really old (1850) in very good shape, structure and bones are amazing but lots of cosmetic issues. The remodeling is taking for ever, and it feels it's the same for me!!

And it's true that getting what I need has been a real challenge, I can say for sure I'm going to stay away from tuna and hard boiled eggs for a while!
    I can't wait to be back home, sad to leave my dear friends here but so happy to have access to regular food! I'm already thinking of what I will cook next week!! lots of soups, turkey stew, organic burgers, ham!!! zucchini gratin, green beans.... and salad! I can't wait! I won't look at my scale right away but I know it will help my metabolism for sure!
    big hugs!!! so glad you are back with us!!