Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Dawnislas

10 months Post-Op and loving life

Rate this Entry
I was 10 months post-op July 13 and am very pleased with myself. My husband and I took an 11 day vacation and hiked 47.7 miles (according to my Fit-bit) during those days. Not just flat trail hiking but mountain hiking. We spent our time traveling through the 5 National Parks in lower Utah starting in Arches National park and ending in Zion and hiked several trails each day. There is no way I could have done 1/3 of that this time last year. I didn't get winded from the altitude nor did my feet or legs give out on me. I enjoyed having my picture taken and in some of the pictures (my husband took of me from behind), I didn't even recognize myself.
I am not at goal and haven really slowed to a snail's pace at losing but I am still so proud of my progress and the way my body moves at this weight.
I can eat anything I want to which has been one reason fro the slow loss but as I had a lot of time in the car to reflect on my journey, I realized that I never want to go back to being miserable in that other body I once lived.
I would love to lose about 20-25 more pounds to put me at WW goal weight but if i don't lose another pound I will still be satisfied with my weight loss journey.
This surgery is by far the best thing I have done in my life. I don't come on here very often but sometimes I have to see if I can find answers to the things I struggle with by reading others victories. You guys inspire me more than you know. Thanks for being here.

Submit "10 months Post-Op and loving life" to Digg Submit "10 months Post-Op and loving life" to del.icio.us Submit "10 months Post-Op and loving life" to StumbleUpon Submit "10 months Post-Op and loving life" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congrats on your hike!! that's major achievement!

My weight loss also started to really slow down around 9 months out. I'm reaching 18 months this week, haven't lost all I wanted but still have my goal in mind. I will see with my surgeon on Saturday what is realistic at that point, I wish I could lose around 30 pounds but that might not be possible. My body composition done with the scan will give me a better picture.

So far if I can maintain my current weight that's still a major improvement. I did walk 50 kms in one week recently, no way I could have done it two years ago, especially not under the extreme heat and humidity we have now. I will also see a plastic surgeon in September. He might give me some answers too.

I'm at the point where I think that not regaining is already a big win!
    We're doing those parks in September! Can't wait!

We found out that they are selling senior lifetime passes to all the National Parks for just $10, so bought one as my husband is 62. (The minimum age.) I guess the price goes up to $80 in August. Looking forward to hiking all over the country!
    I totally relate! what I have been able to accomplish this past year in terms of physical activities, I would not have been able to do without major physical consequences, like sciatica spasms for weeks, and nagging knee/ankle/foot pain.

Congratulations! and stay the course!!!
    Congratulations on your progress!

If you want to do local hiking, there's always Eagle Mountain Park in rural NW Fort Worth. I know, I know...it ain't nothing compared to National Park hiking, but it's a beautiful cross country day trip type of hiking excursion that overlooks Eagle Mountain Lake.

Good luck to you. Keep up the good work.
    I am also about at your time frame post surgery. My weight-loss has slowed to a crawl and I know it's because I'm so happy right where I am, BUT I still have 10-15 pounds to go and I am DETERMINED (but not this week, haha) to get there! Now I know why people don't lose ALL the weight they need to, because you're soooo comfortable and energetic compared to where you were!
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    We're doing those parks in September! Can't wait!

We found out that they are selling senior lifetime passes to all the National Parks for just $10, so bought one as my husband is 62. (The minimum age.) I guess the price goes up to $80 in August. Looking forward to hiking all over the country!

Yes we purchased ours also at the gate as my husband is 67. Next year we plan to do the California coast so i am excited to start planning that trip. Have fun. It was beautiful and only really hot in Zion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    Congrats on your hike!! that's major achievement!

My weight loss also started to really slow down around 9 months out. I'm reaching 18 months this week, haven't lost all I wanted but still have my goal in mind. I will see with my surgeon on Saturday what is realistic at that point, I wish I could lose around 30 pounds but that might not be possible. My body composition done with the scan will give me a better picture.

So far if I can maintain my current weight that's still a major improvement. I did walk 50 kms in one week recently, no way I could have done it two years ago, especially not under the extreme heat and humidity we have now. I will also see a plastic surgeon in September. He might give me some answers too.

I'm at the point where I think that not regaining is already a big win!
    Congrats on your loss. think if i can lose about 18 more pounds I will be at a goal that I can live with and can become a lifetime WW member. That is my ultimate goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamma
    I am also about at your time frame post surgery. My weight-loss has slowed to a crawl and I know it's because I'm so happy right where I am, BUT I still have 10-15 pounds to go and I am DETERMINED (but not this week, haha) to get there! Now I know why people don't lose ALL the weight they need to, because you're soooo comfortable and energetic compared to where you were!
    Thanks for the info. Never thought about hiking that way. My husband is from Kopperl and thinks eh would like to hike that way as far as Meridian. Maybe I can convince him to go there. He has a trails app on his phone that should be helpful around here. It came in handy in Utah.
    Congrats on your fitness!! Sounds like a fantastic vacation!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    I totally relate! what I have been able to accomplish this past year in terms of physical activities, I would not have been able to do without major physical consequences, like sciatica spasms for weeks, and nagging knee/ankle/foot pain.

Congratulations! and stay the course!!!
    Thanks