Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

GigiUSA

What an amazing journey! Feeling excited and blessed for a new life (hugs)

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
My experience with the Weight Loss Agents and Dr. Almanza in Tijuana Mexico July 2017

First of all, to those scheduling surgery, I want to congratulate you for making the decision to improve your quality of life through weight loss. Most of us have been through the yo-yo diets and the feelings of helplessness in trying 1,000 different ways to lose weight. I hope that anyone getting sleeve surgery respects their new sleeve for the tool that it is and strictly follows all instructions given by their surgeon.

My story…. I began my pre-op liquid diet a few days early just to get myself in the right mindset before I left for Mexico. I did a lot of reading, communicating on the forum and praying the weeks that led up to my sleeve surgery but especially the week before I left. Ironically, I did not actually “pack” until the night before we left. We had such a busy week and I was procrastinating as well I am sure.

The day before my surgery I began the travel process and headed to the airport bound for Mexico. The flights were not bad and we arrived on time. Once arriving at ZONE F at Terminal 1 of the San Diego International Airport, I called the number I was given to notify the shuttle that we were ready for pick up. My husband and I waited in the lovely San Diego sunshine! It was beautiful … I got a little sunburn but it was not painful. Once our driver arrived, we were whisked off to Tijuana, Mexico.

We arrived at the Hotel Hacienda Del Rio in Tijuana. This is an older hotel but very nice. It’s bright yellow and I liked that it was small. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean. Armando will be your best friend. Anything that we needed or questioned, there was Armando. He was very helpful in every area and worth every single tip we gave him. Alex was one of my favorite nurses at the hospital and a true gem. If you go, please tell her I said HI.

I was given timing to be in the lobby the next day for surgery. My husband and I did a little exploring around the hotel and found some great little places. We ended up at Puerto for dinner where we met a fantastic bilingual couple. We sat at the bar with them. I drank Hibiscus water and had a few bites of fish. It was really nice and we all exchanged our contact info and have stayed in touch.

So the next day, there we were, waiting with others for the shuttle to take us to Green And Health Hospital. Dr. Mario Almanza was my surgeon and he was doing all of the surgeries that day. I was so fortunate to meet so many wonderful people along the way that were also having surgery. I felt so much more comfortable by reaching out and getting to know others… and in the process; we could all help each other out throughout the process the next few days! I roomed with Lisa and Lisa, aka Nikki…. But that’s another story!

We each took turns meeting with the staff at the hospital for our bloodwork, EKG and settled our accounts. It was mid-morning and we were actually the 2nd surgery group that day. The hospital was very clean and the staff very friendly. I felt very comfortable. As we were each taken back to prep for surgery, Dr. Almanza came and talked to us as a group. He was very nice and took a picture with each of us. It was not the personal one on one attention you would expect to receive in the states but the nurses more than made up for this. I especially loved one nurse and she did not speak English very well, I did not get her name but she gave me a hug before surgery and said that she would stay with me.

I shared a room with Lisa and Lisa, I was the last one from our group to go into surgery. The caregivers all waited with me and when I left they all went to lunch. When I came out there they were waiting for me. I was loopy but remember someone saying… “There she is… still smiling!”

It was a little rough going at first. I am happy to say however that I did not get nauseated as I normally do with surgery. I also did not throw up. The pain was manageable and the staff was right on time with all medications in my IV. Oh how we walked. Each time we got up to walk, the Lisa next to me gave me a gas strip as I forgot mine. You only need them the first night… but you NEED them. A must to pack and share. We all did laps in the hallway in single file. We encouraged each other… pushing our little IV poles LOL The walking was the very best!!! I was not able to sleep the night after surgery, which is weird because I am a sleeper.. .so I got up and crept out, not to wake my roomies and walked the halls. I think it has really helped in my positive recovery.

The next day, early, we were able to leave the hospital for the Hotel Hacienda Del Rio. We got up and dressed. Our IV ports left in and off we went. The nurses at the hotel were ready for us and they got us all setup with new IV bags and meds. They removed the fluids from the drain tube and we got ice chunks and juice. They were huge. I was thinking we were going to get little chips… When we did not have the IV bag, we were able to walk around, sit by the pool or rest. It was very nice. Our group all got along really well and had meals together.

The following day, we all went for our Leak Test. Again, we met in the lobby. Our group received a little cup to drink and pain medication but my IV vein was done so I was told that they would start another IV when I got back. I was worried that I needed the pain medication for the test but my husband assured me that I would be fine… and I was. Once we got to the X-ray facility, we were given a cup to drink during the x-ray. You stood on a stool and faced sideways and drank ½ the contents of the cup. Next you faced forward and drank the remainder. It was not super gross… and it did not hurt. Only one person in our group got diarrhea from the drink. I did not.

Later at the hotel a Doctor McDreamy came to individually go over everything and read the x-ray. It was nice and I was surprised how small my new stomach is now. We also got to have broth when we got back. I brought my own, but I did not think their broth was bad? When it was all done, I had my new IV and got my last bag of fluids. I was given my pain medication and my drain bulb was removed. It was the weirdest feeling. It did not exactly hurt but it was not a walk on the beach either. It is fast and then it is over. Then we were back on the shuttle to cross the border and head to the San Diego airport. Fortunately, my husband got a hotel near the beach and we stayed 3 nights. It was like being in Disney Land with a broken leg but I enjoyed the beautiful city as much as I could.

I am 8 days out and back at work. I am doing great and working to get all my fluids in. No complications, just really, really tired right now. I know this is a season so I rest when I can and stay positive. I'm feeling very excited to make the very most of the opportunity that I have been given for a new lease on life!!!!!

BIG HUGS to everyone that gave me support, encouragement and priceless information. LIFE IS GOOD and I am ready to live my best life now!!!

xoxo

Submit "What an amazing journey!  Feeling excited and blessed for a new life (hugs)" to Digg Submit "What an amazing journey!  Feeling excited and blessed for a new life (hugs)" to del.icio.us Submit "What an amazing journey!  Feeling excited and blessed for a new life (hugs)" to StumbleUpon Submit "What an amazing journey!  Feeling excited and blessed for a new life (hugs)" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Thanks for sharing the details! Congratulations!!
    You described almost exactly how everything went for me. The only glaring difference was the diarrhea after the leak test from the fluid you drink. Well so I thought I was fine until I sneezed later than evening. Oh my, I was not expecting that!

Thank you so much for adding all this great detail. Thinking of going to Mexico was scary and you've given a very fair and candid picture of exactly how it was there. You described it exactly right!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJoy53
    You described almost exactly how everything went for me. The only glaring difference was the diarrhea after the leak test from the fluid you drink. Well so I thought I was fine until I sneezed later than evening. Oh my, I was not expecting that!

Thank you so much for adding all this great detail. Thinking of going to Mexico was scary and you've given a very fair and candid picture of exactly how it was there. You described it exactly right!

Thanks Joy! I do have a funny story. The last day in San Diego... We went to see the Hotel Del Coronado. It is an amazing famous Victorian hotel built in 1887 visited by several presidents and famous others. My potty issue hit me there and it was in a crowded bathroom with only one working stall. I waited and when it was finally my turn I let it rip. You could have heard a pin drop. So I put on my sunglasses, held my head high and walked by everyone to wash my hands and put on lipstick. Then I walked past the big line with my s-l-o-w walk. When I got to my hubby and we were outside, I told him and we both laughed and laughed.

Sorry if it is TMI but it still makes me laugh telling it again!!! xo
    thank you so much for this infomation. it is really helping to ease so of my wonders of worrying about how things will go
    Gigi, I'm so glad that everything went well for you! Love your blog. If I was thinking of going to Mexico for the surgery, your detailed description would really help me to be more at ease with the decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martini
    thank you so much for this infomation. it is really helping to ease so of my wonders of worrying about how things will go
    You are so welcome sweetie - you will do fantastic!!!! (Hugs)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda51
    Gigi, I'm so glad that everything went well for you! Love your blog. If I was thinking of going to Mexico for the surgery, your detailed description would really help me to be more at ease with the decision.
    Linda I can't wait to read about your experience
    So glad it is going well. I appreciate the details. I am ordering the gas strips now since I get so nauseous with anesthesia.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMT2000
    So glad it is going well. I appreciate the details. I am ordering the gas strips now since I get so nauseous with anesthesia.
    That is really smart to order on-line! I could not find the strips at my local pharmacy. I got the chewable kind and then left them at the hotel. The strips were awesome right after surgery. Best of luck to you
    Wow what awesome details, I felt like I was kinda there too. I am so glad you are progressing well. I am looking forward to learning more about this next stage through you. You are such an inspiration to me. Enjoy your day!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MsLaurie65
    Wow what awesome details, I felt like I was kinda there too. I am so glad you are progressing well. I am looking forward to learning more about this next stage through you. You are such an inspiration to me. Enjoy your day!!!
    Thank you MsLaurie!!! I know before I left, I could not get enough info about what my TJ experience might be like. I was excited... and a little apprehensive... so I thought I would try to explain for others what my experience was like. It is so hard to believe that it has only been 9 days ago! You my dear inspire me as well. Life is Good
    So happy for you!!! It's totally worth it and it sounds like you are doing amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by saramichelle
    So happy for you!!! It's totally worth it and it sounds like you are doing amazing!
    Thank you! I am doing great!
    Stay the course!

Hugs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    Stay the course!

Hugs!
    Thanks Shirl ~ I sure will I am moving slowly through the stages and resting as much as I can to let my body heal.
    Thanks for this! I am now at ease with not decision and all fear is gone. I wish you the best in your recovery. I'm especially excited to see that you've returned to work after 8 days. I'm a 911 dispatcher so I figured I would go back sooner too since I'm just sitting all night at work.
    I had to chuckle at the "one on one attention" you think US docs give their patients.

I met my surgeon for the initial consult, one other time before surgery for no particular reason, then one visit post op. That was it.

I'm not complaining, cause he's a general surgeon, not a bariatric clinic, and I'm a nurse, but just got a chuckle about that phrase.

nice blog, too, thanks for the detail. It'll def help anyone considering the sleeve.
    FYI: gasx strips are for intestinal gas, not nausea. Just be prepared. Ask for anti-nausea meds before it gets bad.

Quote Originally Posted by MMT2000
    So happy to hear things went so smoothly for you Gigi!! And thanks for sharing. It was very informative for anyone going to Mexico!
    I was wondering how'd you been doing Gigi. I'm so glad you had a great experience like I did.
    You just made my day!! I've been nervous and thinking did I make a wrong decision? You have totally put me at ease!! I love this blog!!! I will definitely be getting gas x strips ���� I don't go for a bit but Aug 31 will be here before I know it and surgery is Sept 1, with Dr Almanza now I'm excited!!! Thank you Gigi!! Good luck and wish you all the brst!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    So happy to hear things went so smoothly for you Gigi!! And thanks for sharing. It was very informative for anyone going to Mexico!
    Hi Christie!!!! 23-lbs down... A little over 2 weeks. Xo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell1246
    I was wondering how'd you been doing Gigi. I'm so glad you had a great experience like I did.
    It really has been more than I could have imagined. I'm having a little trouble getting in liquids recently but I will figure out a way to get them in.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriH
    You just made my day!! I've been nervous and thinking did I make a wrong decision? You have totally put me at ease!! I love this blog!!! I will definitely be getting gas x strips 😁😁 I don't go for a bit but Aug 31 will be here before I know it and surgery is Sept 1, with Dr Almanza now I'm excited!!! Thank you Gigi!! Good luck and wish you all the brst!!
    I'm so glad my blog entry helped you as you prepare for your surgery. You are right... It will be here before you know it!! Good luck xo
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefany
    Thanks for this! I am now at ease with not decision and all fear is gone. I wish you the best in your recovery. I'm especially excited to see that you've returned to work after 8 days. I'm a 911 dispatcher so I figured I would go back sooner too since I'm just sitting all night at work.
    Hi Stefany,

I am so glad my post eased your mind. It really is a wonderful journey! Please stay in touch xoxoxoxo
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam G
    FYI: gasx strips are for intestinal gas, not nausea. Just be prepared. Ask for anti-nausea meds before it gets bad.
    HaHaHa... well Pam I was writing pretty quickly but there is definitely a difference between Mexico and the US. The language barrier for one could pose a miscommunication. I still found the nurses to be fantastic even if I did not understand everything they were telling me.
    So, what are these "gas strips" and where do you get them? Also, should I take some broth with me? If I pack super light, can I wash my travel clothes and wear them when I return? Should I plan to wear either PJs or athletic-type shorts or sweat pants while there? I am actually having my lap-band removed and the sleeve revision...anyone else had that procedure and if so was it much different? I had my lap-band procedure in Mexico and it was a great, clean experience, and it sounds like this place is as well. How many surgeries a day do they perform, it sounds like quite a few?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimshoes
    So, what are these "gas strips" and where do you get them? Also, should I take some broth with me? If I pack super light, can I wash my travel clothes and wear them when I return? Should I plan to wear either PJs or athletic-type shorts or sweat pants while there? I am actually having my lap-band removed and the sleeve revision...anyone else had that procedure and if so was it much different? I had my lap-band procedure in Mexico and it was a great, clean experience, and it sounds like this place is as well. How many surgeries a day do they perform, it sounds like quite a few?
    Just seeing your message. Have you had your surgery?