Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shirl

Intermittent Fasting-Who Knew!!!

Rate this Entry
Actually, I know RehabNurse has mentioned more than a few times, to be honest early in my post-op life it scared me to think of not being able to eat beyond a four or five hour window because of how little I was eating then. I also, had heard/read several folks here talking about Keto Diet, and no way in hell was I going to try that knowning what has been ingrained in me about fat.

Keto diet is supposed to achieve fat loss instead of muscle loss by ketosis (which is generally used term for fat burning, which I also know is not a properly used term, going into ketosis as a diabetic is not a good thing). But I am not neither a formal nutritionist nor a biochemist nor truly informed on Keto so I will leave it there.

All I know and still try to adhere to is balance and moderation, they have been my mantras and foundation for my personal goals since I started down this WLS journey.

Pre op and continued throughout post op I adapted a modified Paleo and Diabetic Diet which was my version of balanced. I say modified because I use some dairy like Whey isolate (protein), yogurt or kefir, cottage cheese, milk (1%) and sometimes gelato. Also I eat whole grains like cut oats, quinoa or brown rice, Which are far from Paleo lol!

The diabetic version I adapted was all low glycemic fruits and vegetables, and other than olive oil or fresh avocados or coconut or raw almonds and few orher nuts not much fat as recommended in Keto. Also I adamantly avoid over processed or packaged foods which is a very Keto and Paleo and Diabetic approach. Granted I do occasionally eat a breakfast biscuit or two or a cracker here and there.

My food cornucopia is full of healthy and nutrient rich foods I do love and I never feel deprived. I eat a well balanced diet of approximately 1100+ calories and exercise regularly, my protein takes up about 60-70% of my diet, but weight this last month was at a standstill.

I reached my predicted 65% excess weight loss at 9 months, and weight has continued to shed, but it is coming off slower than molasses since then. I would very much like to lose another 20-30lbs to reach my idea of ideal weight for me. Last month I was told I have mild hypothyroidism, but I fall within normal and acceptable TSh/T3/T4 ranges. Eating the way I am eating needs to change if I want to start losing 2-3lbs a month like I was doing before. Upping my calories? I tried but can only achieve that with a higer carb (complex carbs) consuption and that didn't work.

Sooo... I started to look into (paleo version of) the Bulletproof Coffee after I joined a Paleo and Keto webinar to learn more about the lifestyle. I tried the paleo version bulletproof coffee with stuff I had at home and loved it. I also noticed that that morning I did not get hungry all day! I was running errands and around 3pm I was like ohm! I have not eaten anything!!! I tried again the next morning and around noon I remembered I had not eaten, so i ate. I ordered the book, I highlighted and took notes to really understand before I started something that would go against all my limited knowledge. I ordered their coffee, also bought the recommended ultra filtered coconut oil and ghee.

A week ago today, I started the Bulletproof Intermittent Fast with the bulletproof coffee. I am not following a high fat (keto) diet. Other than the added 1 tablespoon of brain octane oil and 1 tablespoon of ghee in my coffee I am eating normally, except I am limiting my (white, processed and simple) carbs to a minimum of 30g a day.

I started with a 12, 13, 14 hour intermittent fast. Meaning I stopped eating somewhere around 8 or 10 pm, had my bulletproof Coffee around 8am then nothing to eat until 11am or 2pm, which has not been an issue at all.

I was on my menstrual period most of the week with a five (5lbs) pound pms gain, and today I am half (1/2) lbs below my pre pms weight last week. That means something might have worked! I finally broke 170lbs! And find myself at 169.5lbs.

I may reach my first goal of 165lbs yet!

Tonight I plan to stop eating by 7pm and see if I can do the recommended 16 hour intermittent fast tomorrow.

I will be extremely happy if I can continue to lose .5 to 1lb/week. Hopefully 5lbs before my Paris vaca end of July. We will be on a river cruise for 10 days so I don't want to gain weight lol!!!

To be continued...

Submit "Intermittent Fasting-Who Knew!!!" to Digg Submit "Intermittent Fasting-Who Knew!!!" to del.icio.us Submit "Intermittent Fasting-Who Knew!!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Intermittent Fasting-Who Knew!!!" to Google

Comments

I have heard of intermittent fasting. Sounds like that may be working for you. One thing I have learned on this journey is that we are not cookie cutters. What works for one person may not work for another. I think we all have to explore and find ourselves on this journey. Good luck continuing to find what works for you doll! Knowledge is powerful. Knowledge of ourselves is liberating!
    I did use intermittent fasting (or my version of it) right before the sleeve, to lose a little weight before the pre-op diet. I must say it did work well even if my weight loss was very slow. Thing is I was able to do it "at home" but not really when I had to travel so I'm not sure of the results in the long run.
    Your good results do inspire me to look into it again! but paleo and me are not really friends, that's an other story
    Daily intermittent fasting is how I eventually reached my goal weight. I'd eat during an 8-hour window only from 1:00pm to 9:00pm. From 9:00pm until 1:00pm the next day, I'd be in a 16-hour fast. This enabled my body to start burning off its stored fat.
    I was on my menstrual period most of the week with a five (5lbs) pound pms gain
    I am due to start my period in a couple of days and my weight is up by 4.5 pounds. I hate this time of month due to the water retention.
    Christie, I'm all about empowerment and liberation definitely!

Sandra, I can't say I am a "purest" when it comes to following any type of diet. I tend to like Paleo because of my liking local and seasonal approach. But I like I said I ignore tgeir band on dairy specially since I found grass-fed dairy.

RehabNurse, I am so over having my period! I want menopause to happen already lol! I also think Intermittent Fasting (IF) will be the way I will reach my goal too. Do you do the coffee with coconut oil and ghee too? I am traveling today through Saturday, and won't have my supplies, so I'm going to try IF cold turkey (meaning without the bulletproof proof coffee). Fasting 9pm-1pm is my goal!
    Do you do the coffee with coconut oil and ghee too?
    Nope. I have coffee with half & half and sweetened with Equal for breakfast.

If I need to stir-fry or pan-sear something, I use coconut oil.
    Sounds so complicated!
    Hi Shirl, I would love to hear more about this, I am in the UK and can only find books on the coffee but not the actual coffee itself, I am so close and have been for a while and just want the last 10lbs to go, I don't even really mind if a little comes back, but oh to have that feeling of just doing it, the fasting BIT is easy for me, I am really struggling with food when I do eat though, I know what I should be eating but some days I do feel the old habits creeping in
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    Sounds so complicated!
    Sraebaer, I couldn't wrap my head around the concept when I first heard about Intermittent Fasting (IF). However, after I read about the benefits, not just weightloss, I had to make it part of my WLS journey. I particularly like the Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting (BIF) because of the added benefits of coffee and good fats, and added calories that I needed.

As with most things, I tried it on for size first, meaning slowly, the first week I only did 14-hour BIF, and I did the modefied protein version of the bulletproof coffee, instead of butter I did cultured ghee, and added a serving of collagen protein, recommended for women over 40 years old, and those who need to lose substantial weight. As mentioned, I was on my moon that week and had a 5lb gain. I lost those plus 1lb that first week.

This is the recipe I did :

1 cup freshly brewed organic coffee
    1 teaspoon of each: Bulletproof Brain Octaine Oil (ultra filtered MTC coconut oil), and organic cultured ghee
    1/4 cup coconut milk
    1 serving of Bulletproof Collagen Protein

The second week, we traveled to Colorado so it was hard to do BIF all 7 days, I did what I could and still managed to lose another 1lbs. I mostly did 14-hour IF without the coffee about four out of the seven days.

Last week, we were in Miami and I found travel packets of MTC coconut oil and ghee, I found a Starbucks and got them to add it to a grande coconut milk latte. I lost another pound. Bringing me down to 167lbs!!! 3lbs loss in three weeks!

We got back on Saturday, and have been pretty strict with my BIF these last few days, but guess what!?! Started my moon  yesterday, and up again 5lbs!!!

This week I am trying the 16-hour recommended IF (BIF for me) ... next week we are off to our European trip!!!

Oh by the way, on my feeding window between 12pm and 8pm, I have been able to meet my protein requirements, I upped my calories, and have been able to enjoy a few drinks here and there, a few deserts, and some good carbs! Basically, I have been eating pretty well!

Here is a chart that PamG posted on IF and a few good articles https://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/entry.php?b=30826
    Updated 07-18-2017 at 07:57 AM by Shirl (https://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/entry.php?b=30826)