Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Bobbie3

Do many people decide not to have the surgery due to the wait time for it?

Rate this Entry
Also, I was wondering if many people following the diet plan and exercise plan of the Bariatric program have lost weight and decided not to have the surgery?

Submit "Do many people decide not to have the surgery due to the wait time for it?" to Digg Submit "Do many people decide not to have the surgery due to the wait time for it?" to del.icio.us Submit "Do many people decide not to have the surgery due to the wait time for it?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Do many people decide not to have the surgery due to the wait time for it?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I am sure some people do. But it was a no brainer for me. I have lost weight several times over the years. Never could keep it off and never got this low. I would do this surgery over again in a heart beat. Best decision I have ever made.
    I think that most people who have decided to get the sleeve will not have lost a significant amount of weight on the pre-op diet to where they want to cancel their surgery date? Hmmm, I haven't heard of it happening. I only lost 4 pounds on my pre-op diet. It was just a low fat plan for a week.
    I just started my process. I'm going for my bloodwork and some other tests tomorrow. I know it could be months before I have the surgery but that time is going to pass anyway and most likely, I'll still be fat, if not fatter. I'm at a point that it is physically uncomfortable in addition to the mental, emotional effects on me. A year and a half ago, I was put off by the tests needed ahead of time, the thought of a liquid diet... baby food... no alcohol for at least a year, etc, dumping symdrome... Those were just excuses. I'm nervous about the actual surgery only, but it's time.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenson
    I think that most people who have decided to get the sleeve will not have lost a significant amount of weight on the pre-op diet to where they want to cancel their surgery date? Hmmm, I haven't heard of it happening. I only lost 4 pounds on my pre-op diet. It was just a low fat plan for a week.
    I lost 20 lbs pre op. Most of it was on the 9 day pre op diet. But there is no way I could have sustained that long term. I have seen a few people think they could do it on their own because they lost 20-40 lbs in the months leading up to surgery. I don't think anyone cancelled their surgery, though. They just started to question it.
    Insurance companies purposely create wait times and make people jump through hoops with the hope that some individuals abandon the process. If people grow discouraged while waiting, this means less money the insurance company pays for surgeries.
    Also, I was wondering if many people following the diet plan and exercise plan of the Bariatric program have lost weight and decided not to have the surgery?
    I could always lose weight without surgery. In fact, I've lost 200+ pounds over the past 2 decades through yo-yo dieting (lose 50 pounds, regain 60 pounds, rinse and repeat). Since weight loss surgery offered the last hope of actually keeping weight off, I wasn't going to back out of it due to losing some weight on the pre-op diet.
    Hang in there! You will read this much more than the opposite of biggest regret was not going through with the Sleeve Gastrectomy sooner!

As RehabNurse said, I also had no problem losing weight, my reason for going the WLS path was because I was just exhausted of regaining. When I was told I had Diabetes, I knew alcohol was going to be the first thing to go, I drank a glass of wine almost daily, twice or thrice on weekends lol! I don't know if it was a placebo effect, but I remember sipping wine the evening I had been told I was Diabetic and I felt physically ill, I thought I was going to go into a diabetic coma.

I have had wine, as well as sipped on aged whiskey, in recent months, and besides feeling too euphoric too fast with little sips, I still won't pick up the daily habit I once had. First, I do not want to induce a diabetic coma; second, I found other methods to relax or enjoy the moment without the aid of alcohol. Besides, I blame the time I went wine tasting for slowing my weight loss plan lol!

Personally, I never ate baby food nor have I ever heard anyone here eat it either. I was told by nutritionist to use a Stage 2 baby food jar to measure my food in the soft and mush food stage which literally is about two to three weeks the most. I also enjoyed making my own protein shakes from real food pre and post op and sometimes still out of convenience.

Unfortunately, you will be able to enjoy the same things you liked after a few months post op, you can even graze all day and eat volumes of food if you push yourself... but, the biggest question you should ask yourself is... why would you?
    I know that some people do get discouraged and basically give up when they are given the time frame, but honestly it goes by so fast. I started early last year. Started classes in June and by November I was having surgery. At the time it seems so far away and you feel like it's NEVER going to get here but it really does creep up on you.

I did follow the program before surgery and could not lose any weight literally until a week and a half before my surgery. Something just clicked the week before and I finally started losing. I would definitely do this all over again.
    I think all of us ended up here because dieting long term has never worked. Sure I lost tons of weight before, and gained it back every single time. I think I personally kept weight watchers in business. The sleeve is the only thing that helped me lose my weight and keep it off.
    This might sound rotten of me but I was concerned about dieting before my surgery and then not being eligible for it. So I didn't put forth much effort. A couple pounds a month to show good faith but that is it. I felt like any weight loss for me would only be temporary since it has been cyclic for me for years. This 'tool' was intended to keep me from sliding back into overeating.