Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sandra3

17 months : between flash flood and card boxes

Rate this Entry
I'm still really puffy from my weird allergy last week. My face is still a little swollen on one side but I'm probably the only one noticing. I'm still two pounds up...I lost only half of what I gained with the medication...not a big deal but those medications do save our lifes but ...this is toxic for real...

On an other subject, I felt really home sick since Friday...which is really unusual for me..I mean..."home" is France or the US...or at least where people understand what I say..I'm not difficult, there's many countries where we lived and where I can communicate easily and wouldn't scare people....and I feel like home there..

We had several really heavy rains those past two weeks, again with flash flood on Friday. A friend on her bike had an accident, lost contentiousness and nobody stopped to help her, she was heavily bleeding (from her leg) and when she "woke up" she had to phone her husband for help. Finally ten minutes later and right before her hubby could reach her, an other biker stopped and helped her get up and reach the side walk and called an ambulance. She had surgery at the hospital, was under for 90 minutes, it was pretty bad. I went to see her with fancy cakes on Sunday, to cheer her up (she has a sweet tooth)...she was happy about the cakes....not me because I had two (tiny) slices and should have stopped at one ...but whatever that was a good cake!

Anyway...I'm between tonnes of paper, organizing lots of things and I don't really have time to focus on food. But I can feel that those cakes on Sunday did trigger carb cravings...it's not often but sometimes it does show up..(or it's just because what happened was so shocking....I was in need for a pick me up..)...yesterday the kids had pizza, I had one small slice (only the topping) with my tuna...I felt like eating the bread part was going to be the start for more, I'm glad I was able to resist. Today I'm fine. I'd rather have better carbs than white flour stuff...

Anyway...counting the weeks...I will miss my dear friends for sure, but there's few things I won't miss( bad weather, food shortage etc).

Submit "17 months : between flash flood and card boxes" to Digg Submit "17 months : between flash flood and card boxes" to del.icio.us Submit "17 months : between flash flood and card boxes" to StumbleUpon Submit "17 months : between flash flood and card boxes" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sandra, I hope your friend get to feeling better soon! It's a miracle she wasn't taken advantage of while passed out! I've witnessed plenty of accidents and while I have a policy of not stopping if I am alone I will call 911 to report. I would like to imagine that she wasn't easily visible and that's why no one came to assist her.

Lately I have been reading and trying to understand the psychology of eating. I have read several studies that found that our brain releases chemicals when we eat. If we eat something with guilt it produces more cortisone hormone which impedes proper digestion of food and it can be counterproductive when one is trying to lose weight. The negative beliefs we put in certains foods really puts an unnecessary strain on our digestive and metabolic systems.

A piece of cake or slice of pizza aren't the problem for most who don't have autoimmune deficiencies or gluton allergies like celiac. For most, it's eating pizza not once a week, but eating nutrition void foods several times on any given day.

I am really working on not feeling deprived, but I know that eating certain foods are not going to help me stay diabetes free or keep my cholesterol checked.

You are doing amazing!

I wish I could be happy in one place without missing the other. Moving sure sucks! Hopefully you will find yourself settled in your new home.

Hugs!
    How awful for your friend. Very traumatizing. And I cannot believe that no one stopped. So sad. At least she has a great friend like you to look in on her. I can tell you I eat cake. Not every day but I do sometimes. I just make sure it is in moderation and not frequently. There is a place in town called Nothing Bundt Cakes. They sell mini bundts. I will occasionally get them for the family. I will take me 4-5 days to eat mine, while the family will eat theirs in one day. I usually give bites to my husband. I do not do this all the time because I focus on protein and veggies. But...I do allow myself to indulge on occasion. I do not feel bad for it. Only time I feel bad about anything I eat is if I eat too much and it hurts physically! I am actually more home sick now as I am so close to my trip back home. So I get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    It's a miracle she wasn't taken advantage of while passed out!
    Thanks Shirl!! she is doing better physically but for sure the trauma is there. I'm checking on her everyday as other friends do too, her husband is only coming back at the end of the week so it's better to show her we are all here for her.

She was in the middle of a busy street, the miracle is that she was not hit by a car. Because of the violent rain (and flash flood) traffic became very bad and that was the reason for her accident, but on the ground when she couldn't move, cars and scooter were driving around her! no wonder she is having nightmares!

I do believe that eating the wrong food and feeling guilty about eat is a form of stress which is actually making us crave more bad food and gain weight. For sure. I've been trying since the beginning of the process to have no "forbidden food" but I know I still have to have limits because it's too easy to eat carbs.

For sure the past three weeks have been stressful. I've been to the hospital too often those past weeks....one of the kids has been sick too, a trip to the ER in the middle of the night showed that we have no idea what's wrong. We suspect some tropical disease (IRM showed an inflamed colon at 15!) or it could be a form of IBS like me, I hope not ...treatment didn't really work well.......

Anyway...I can't wait to be in the plane going back home with the move finished!
    Indeed I will be sad, but at that stage relieved too..
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    And I cannot believe that no one stopped. So sad.
    Yes it's really sad. And I must say I was surprised (we were all surprised!), people are usually so nice here.
    But they are scared of us (westerners) because they know we don't speak Chinese fluently. That might be the reason why the only one who stopped long after the accident was a young man who could speak English.

Last year in May I had an accident when I was in France (that's the day I did hurt my left knee and the whole problem started) I lost balance in the street (was dizzy) and did hurt myself badly, people stopped their cars to help, even if my husband was there with the kids. One nurse parked her car and came check on my vitals. I mean I was in the country side and not the capital, I know that in bigger cities people are indifferent but still...

I tried not to have forbidden food so I wouldn't have cravings, but here with the allergic reaction on top, I think my inflammation level is high and carbs don't help...that's why I felt guilty about the second slice ...

It's complicated to have several "homes". Plus we also idealize the other place sometimes. Lots of mixed feelings!!