Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sallynmichigan

Week 3.5

Rate this Entry
I haven't posted for a while only because I don't want to seem like I am complaining when I hear all these stories of rapid weight loss right after surgery and not only that but how much exercising everyone is doing right after surgery.

I am experiencing slow weight loss, a lot of pain around my stomach...like when I lean over to pick something up, I can feel my stomach. Then I have a knot on my sternum that was never there before. I am having a problem with dehydration for some reason. I drink all day long and yet I am extremely weak. I get really dizzy when sitting and standing up. I read that maybe dehydration could be at fault. I admit that I am not getting in the protein shakes like I should but for the first 3 weeks after surgery I was on a completely liquid diet.

I find it fascinating that so many people went from surgery with one week of liquids then on to pureed then soft. I also know some people went only one week of liquids pre-op where I was on 2 weeks, so that makes 5 weeks for me of liquids. And yet I am dehydrated! I finally went to pureed last week but I am struggling with the gas or whatever coming up my throat. It's just uncomfortable.

I am getting discouraged and yet even when I called my doctor about the lump, I couldn't get in until the middle of July. I already had an appointment at the end of this month, so all of this will be discussed then. I know in time things will work themselves out, because everyone on this board is proof of that.

I guess I just needed to vent about how things are not going real well for me at this point. I had been told by the surgeon I would be back to work in a week and I won't even consider going back until the end of the month. I hope that he can figure out why I am so weak and dizzy. I would like to feel normal again. My intentions were to have a great recovery but I had no idea how long and hard this journey was going to be.

Submit "Week 3.5" to Digg Submit "Week 3.5" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 3.5" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 3.5" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Hi Sally,

The first month was hard for me too but it will get better, no worries!

Try to drink as much as possible, sip all day. But stop drinking 30 mns before a meal and then wait 30 mns after your meal to start drinking again. When you eat, try to pace yourself and use a tiny spoon. I was eating bites the size of a peanut for weeks.

This surgery is changing our stomach but also our life. It's true the first weeks and even months could be difficult, but it's all worth it. I am also a slow loser, but at the end it's still a lot of weight gone!

My health is back and I feel so much better! Just hang in there, take it day by day. You will get better, you won't feel dizzy for ever (for me it was around 6 weeks may be) and then you will be able to walk more, and little by little you will be amazed how far you can go and how good it feels to be "normal" again.

Take care.
    I know it sounds counterintuitive, but the more protein you are able to drink, the faster you will lose weight. When I'm in a serious stall, I up my liquids and my protein and then things start to move again. I know you are struggling, and when you have pain AND you're losing slowly, it makes it worse, but hang in there because better times are on the way!
    ....(HUGS) I do not have any words of wisdom since I have not yet had my sleeve surgery but I can sympathize with how you must feel and encourage you to keep doing what you are doing. Liquids, walking, resting. Everyone is different and every surgery is different. From everything I have read, it does get better... YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! Vent as much as you like if it makes you feel better. xo
    Thank you for the encouragement! I do appreciate it and feel that if someone else is having a hard time like I am, maybe from my post they won't seem alone.
    You are probably feeling weak because you are not getting in enough protein and vitamins. Are you taking any vitamins? How much protein are you getting in? Don't worry. I was a slow loser too but it kept coming off steadily and now I am just one pound away from goal! Sandra gave you some really great advice. I promise it gets easier. Hang in there!!
    Thanks Christie! However, today I decided to eat some soft boiled eggs and made a little tuna and boy what a difference in my weakness and dizzyness. So I plan on moving forward and getting as much protein as I can from food sources and not just protein drinks. I do take iron, calcium, D3, 2 multivitamins twice a day and b12 but not of those helped me with the symptoms. Hopefully, tomorrow I will do the same thing and hope that I am not feeling dizzy. It really makes exercising difficult when you can't get up from a seated position.

Congrats on meeting your goal! It must feel awesome!
    Hi Sally I was sleeved may 22nd and I agree that protein is the key! I have really not had the dizzy or weak symptomss. You have to get at least 60 grams of protein a day! Also my doc let me go on soft foods at 2 weeks and told me to use my teeth at my food grinder which makes perfect sense because if forces you to eat small bites very slowly with lots of chewing! Here is what I have in my day and I feel great and am losing steadily. Also I'm in my 50s with thyroid issues and a dead metabolism from 30 years of yo yo dieting!

Premier protein shake - breakfast
    Cheesy scrambled eggs - lunch (I eat 2 eggs! It takes about a 1/2 hour to 45 min to eat)
    Chicken breast or tuna salad or ground beef w cheese for dinner
    Vitamins religiously
    Benefiber powder (to get ya going if you know what I mean!)
    Sometimes I have a popsicle or sugar fee jello

So hang in there and in a year we'll be sharing our success stories on this forum!

Ps read Ann's "first surgiversay" blog on this forum. I literally have it posted in my office because it provides such a great roadmap (and daily inspiration) for this journey
    Thanks for the post Bothsidesnow2017. I have just started pureed last week and have to stay on it for another week before I can start soft foods. I just started an (1) soft boiled egg and some tuna and that is helping but its not enough. I won't be on real food until 8 weeks after surgery. I have made a decision to get my protein and nutrients by juicing my vegetables. It is still liquid so I should be okay. I am not sure why I am experiencing the dizzyness or weakness, but I am hoping getting back to my juicing, will help me.

On another note, my weight loss since the surgery on May 24th is 25lbs. And 37lbs since the day before the 2 week preop diet I was on. So I guess I am doing better than I thought, but I try not to weigh myself. But my clothes don't feel like I have lost much weight. Maybe it's because my weight is all through my whole body and not just in one area.

So I guess I need to become more grateful for my loss so far and hope I can get this weakness under control so I can go back to exercising and work.