Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shirl

13 Month Post-Op & 75lbs gone!

Rate this Entry
I am chugging along, and absolutely no regrets for choosing this path.

I am still learning and adjusting to being a "sleeved person" in a non-sleeved world. Eating is less complicated now, not that it really was, I am able to eat just about anything. I still eat in small portions just like my nutritionist taught me... serve yourself a 1/4 cup and you still feel hungry get another 1/4 cup.

My lifelong adjustment now is that I can easily eat 3 oz of lean meat or chicken breast if I eat more which often times I do, it is never another 3 oz. So I always start at 3oz of protein, then take a few more bites so I can eat vegetables and or grains before I get that too full feeling. I do not ever overfill my plate, and try very consciously to stay aware of the portion(s) I serve myself.

Junk food is ALWAYS around me! I am proud that 95% of the time I say "no thanks" or that I do not have resentment or that I do not feel deprived because it is the God(dess) honest truth that I do not! It is not a far fetch truth to say that "I eat what I want when I want it, and how I want it" (tinman).

I am fully committed to an active lifestyle, and I am not a gym rat by any stretch of the meaning, but I do strive to walk most days and gym 3x a week. This week alone I have walked over ten miles in different outings, have gone swimming twice and kayaking! I have danced (zumbaying) almost every day around the house.

I did not start measuring until I read a post here titled "Tape your Butt" and that was about two weeks post op. I had lost close to 20lbs prior to surgery so I cannot imagine how much bigger I was. YIKES!

Measuring on a monthly basis was very helpful to me because when the scale showed little weight change, my measurements continued to shrink consistently. The last 10lbs or so that I have lost have been hard sweat and tears for several months, but I am not discouraged because again I have continued to lose necessary fat stores without any muscle loss but in fact 2lbs of muscle gain according to my DEXA body composition scans which I initially did in Sept. '16 around 4-Months post-op which is why I look forward to my NON-SCALE VICTORIES (NSVs).

Thanks for reading.

Weight and Measurements: Saturday, June 17, 2017

Height: 5' 6.5" (66.5")
Current Weight: 170lbs -46.6lbs post-op (and 75lbs from highest weight)
Current BMI: current: 26.6; initial: 39.5

Neck: current: 12.75"; initial 15.3" (-2.8")

Bicep: c: 13"; i: 16" (-3")

Bust: c: 41"; i: 47" (-6") (downsized to 36DDD bra (36EE/G fit better))

Waist: c: 33.5"; i: 42" (-8.5")

Hip: c: 42"; i: 50" (-8")

Thighs: c: 21.25"; i: 28" (-6.75)

Calfs: C: 14.25"; i: 17" (-2.75)

Total body inches lost since starting to measure: 37.8"

Recommended readings/links:

http://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bodyfat

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity...ty/#References

Submit "13 Month Post-Op & 75lbs gone!" to Digg Submit "13 Month Post-Op & 75lbs gone!" to del.icio.us Submit "13 Month Post-Op & 75lbs gone!" to StumbleUpon Submit "13 Month Post-Op & 75lbs gone!" to Google

Comments

Way to go Shirl! You look amazing! I am currently trying to up my calories a bit. So far so good. And I agree with you that how we look is way more important than the scale. I would rather look fit and healthy than just hit some magic number. And learning to be sleeved in a non sleeved world is hard but every day we learn to adapt and adjust. It is a whole new world and a beautiful one! I am so glad to be on this journey with you my friend!!
    Great success story!
    Measures are for sure much better than only the scale!
    The nurse does it for me at my surgeon's clinic for each post-op, but I don't keep track, I watch more my clothing.
    I know what's too tight and I can see the difference just trying this or that.
    Also my next scan in July will tell probably more about how I'm doing because my last one was in January and since I had a few weeks were eating enough protein was a challenge so...we'll see..