Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Laurel2313

Drinking Water

Rate this Entry
Hello all! I was told I should be drinking 64 ozs. a day of water. I'm lucky to get 16 ozs. How do I do this? Help!

Submit "Drinking Water" to Digg Submit "Drinking Water" to del.icio.us Submit "Drinking Water" to StumbleUpon Submit "Drinking Water" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Same here. There is no way I can drink 64 oz of water, let alone 90 I was told to shoot for. This Friday will be 3 months since my surgery and I hit 28 - 32 oz "maybe", in a day. But, I do drink 11oz of a premier protein shake daily in addition to the water, and 4 or 5 oz of Ocean Spray DIET cran-pineapple juice also, so that counts (to me anyway.)
    You have no choice. Sip every waking moment. You don't want to end up back in the hospital with dehydration.

Everything counts toward this 64 ounces, your protein drinks, coffee, whatever. Just do it!
    I have the same problem, I'm sure many of us do. One trick that is helping me is, while getting ready for work, before I eat, I drink a bottle of water. I do this while doing my make up and hair. I don't leave for work until one bottle at least is gone. I still drink all day at my desk at work but at least I got a jump start in the morning. I am now trying to do this at night. Good Luck!
    One sip at a time.

I set myself reminders to sip on 2-4 oz of protein shakes, bone broths, or water.

I was very fortunate to have had zero complications and a few minor discomforts so I didn't have issues meeting my protein and hydration needs. So I was able to take more than 2-4oz immediately.

Just do you, and like Sraebaer said you don't want to get dehydrated or have vitamin deficiencies by not drinking your appropriate nutrients. Most people feel miserable and weak for lack of both.

There is someone here name Katrina who has written a lot about her daughter who got extremely sick due to hydration and lack of vitamins, it was due to vomiting, but I believe if you don't drink enough it can happen easily too.
    I can tell you it was months for me before I was drinking the 64+ oz regularly. But now I have no issues. I just had to push myself to get as close as possible and I counted all fluids. Just always have something on you and keep sipping. It does get easier.
    It took me three months to be able to drink almost what was required. I had to try different temperatures, textures. At the beginning I would drink mostly wam broth, then iced cold water. Plain water was a no no for months, it had to be mixed with juice. Then only herbal tea or tea but not all...some made me sick. Since I was nauseous for months, it became much easier to drink past six months, when I got better. Just try your best to drink, always have a bottle/mug near you and drink all day. Measure what you drink to make sure you get enough fluids.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertGal
    Same here. There is no way I can drink 64 oz of water, let alone 90 I was told to shoot for. This Friday will be 3 months since my surgery and I hit 28 - 32 oz "maybe", in a day. But, I do drink 11oz of a premier protein shake daily in addition to the water, and 4 or 5 oz of Ocean Spray DIET cran-pineapple juice also, so that counts (to me anyway.)
    Thank you! I was wondering how others were doing with this task. I was able to do 40 ozs. yesterday, I;m on day 50 of my surgery. Thank you for taking the time to respond!
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    You have no choice. Sip every waking moment. You don't want to end up back in the hospital with dehydration.

Everything counts toward this 64 ounces, your protein drinks, coffee, whatever. Just do it!
    Ok. That's what I'm doing. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMarie65
    I have the same problem, I'm sure many of us do. One trick that is helping me is, while getting ready for work, before I eat, I drink a bottle of water. I do this while doing my make up and hair. I don't leave for work until one bottle at least is gone. I still drink all day at my desk at work but at least I got a jump start in the morning. I am now trying to do this at night. Good Luck!
    Thank you!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    I can tell you it was months for me before I was drinking the 64+ oz regularly. But now I have no issues. I just had to push myself to get as close as possible and I counted all fluids. Just always have something on you and keep sipping. It does get easier.
    Thanks so much!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Thank you for the info and encouragement!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    It took me three months to be able to drink almost what was required. I had to try different temperatures, textures. At the beginning I would drink mostly wam broth, then iced cold water. Plain water was a no no for months, it had to be mixed with juice. Then only herbal tea or tea but not all...some made me sick. Since I was nauseous for months, it became much easier to drink past six months, when I got better. Just try your best to drink, always have a bottle/mug near you and drink all day. Measure what you drink to make sure you get enough fluids.
    Thank you for taking the time to respond! I'm on day 50 and yesterday I consumed 40 ozs. I'm getting there!
    I have had a couple of 'uh-oh' moments with water lately. Only during exercise though. When I am at the gym, on the treadmill or elliptical and get parched, I have picked up my water bottle without thinking and taken HUGE mouthfuls of water like I did when going to the gym a few years ago. Almost instant barfing, LOL, and I had the worst pain in my stomach. I completely FORGOT I had surgery! Did it twice in a few days time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertGal
    I was ordering some "food" online to prepare for surgery coming up.. I found a product on Walmart.com that is called Bariatric Pal all one word.. has anyone tried any of the food? or the drinks? they have "juice" that is a protein drink with 15g in a berry juice looking drink.. I might buy one just to see how it is. if its good then that may be another way to get some protein in and liquids.

let me know if anyone has heard or tried it!
    Updated 06-16-2017 at 08:40 PM by belle69142 (spelling)
    Your protein shakes count towards your fluid intake as well. Broth counts towards your fluids, etc. Just get in as much as you can and just focus on sipping constantly. It will also help with your bowels.