Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sandra3

Allergic reaction...and weight gain again!

Rate this Entry
Live and learn...

On Monday I was happy that our supermarket got a new container delivered (imported food) so I went there during lunch to get our basics before it was all gone.

Since I didn't have time to have a proper lunch I just had a slice of cheese and started to feel really sick in seconds, blisters on my lips, mouth swelling, stomach pain etc. I took immediatly an antihistaminic medication (twice), and was happy the allergy symtoms stopped before it became really bad. I didn't need to use my epipen or go to the ER so... all good!

Anyway, 48h later, I gained 4 pounds. I just can't believe how my body react to everything! I know there's no reason to panic, it's not the first time I take a medication and gain weight, it will be gone in one week/ten days.. but this is starting to get really old...

My inflammation level must be really high right now, my skin is also dry and reactive and I can't even take my omegas to calm it down because it's increasing my reflux badly...

No more of that cheese for me until we leave!!

Submit "Allergic reaction...and weight gain again!" to Digg Submit "Allergic reaction...and weight gain again!" to del.icio.us Submit "Allergic reaction...and weight gain again!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Allergic reaction...and weight gain again!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Oh Sandra! So sorry to hear/read about allergic reaction! What type of cheese was it?

Now that summer is here I went to get a case of my favorite Isopure Black-tea with lemon protein drink , and they didn't have and they didn't know when they would get a shipment. So I bought the green tea Protein drink and my tongue felt funny afterwards. But not sure if it was that or seaweed salad I ate with salmon.

I hope you get to feeling better, and like you said it is medical related gain.

I have been meaning to ask, where about are you going to be in the States in August?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    Oh Sandra! So sorry to hear/read about allergic reaction! What type of cheese was it?

Now that summer is here I went to get a case of my favorite Isopure Black-tea with lemon protein drink , and they didn't have and they didn't know when they would get a shipment. So I bought the green tea Protein drink and my tongue felt funny afterwards. But not sure if it was that or seaweed salad I ate with salmon.

I hope you get to feeling better, and like you said it is medical related gain.

I have been meaning to ask, where about are you going to be in the States in August?
    It was a Neufchatel (heart form, looks a little like brie) good quality, even had an AOC (controlled appellation). My husband (who could eat from the floor and not get sick after growing up a few years in India) had the cheese himself and he is fine! so weird!
    I'm better but I was swollen for 48 h..

I will be mostly in Phoenix. It's a short stay for the kid's exams? Where are you going to be at the end of August?
    I love Neufchatel! I use it instead of cream cheese, it has less fat. I wonder what could have triggered your allergic reaction.

At end of August I will be enthralled in my graduate program at USC. Though Not bad of a drive from/to Phoenix if you will have time on a weekend.
    OMG!!! That is terrible. Thank goodness you were able to stop the reaction before it got really bad. That must be awful to always have that in the back of your mind that you could have an allergic reaction. I am like your husband. Two years in Turkey in the early 80's has me able to eat anything. Was actually on a trip at school once were everyone got food poisoning from the hotel the day we left. The only ones who did not get sick were myself, my mom, and another friend who I actually had met when we were little and lived in Turkey. I do not call that a coincidence. Everyone else was sick as a dog for about 3 or 4 days. We were absolutely symptom free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    I love Neufchatel! I use it instead of cream cheese, it has less fat. I wonder what could have triggered your allergic reaction.

At end of August I will be enthralled in my graduate program at USC. Though Not bad of a drive from/to Phoenix if you will have time on a weekend.
    I had a great Neufchatel in France last month, I was fine! I'm guessing here that since it was just wrapped into paper with a little cardboard around it was not sealed closed and could have been fumigated at the arrival of the container. That's my only explanation...or the cheese had an issue with bacteria (that would not affect hubby..) but in doubt the kids were forbidden to touch it!

Looking at my crazy calendar, Sunday 27 could be an option. Are you outside LA? PM me your town's name I will look into it. I just want to avoid LA, that's where we land usually but this time we don't stay long so I took a flight directly to Phoenix because I wanted to avoid extra driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    That must be awful to always have that in the back of your mind that you could have an allergic reaction.
    Ha ha! my husband said we are never going back to Turkey! 15 years ago I got so sick after eating yogurt there, the doctor was thinking about sending me back to France with Europe assistance! But at the end after him panicking, I was able to take my regular flight the next day. Black and blue but walking..

It is a pain, because growing up in the French West Indies I did catch a few tropical diseases (and my first round of dengue fever) that didn't help my messy metabolism for sure. But since we are in Asia and my risks are worth here (humidity, mold everywhere) I have to carry the adequate medication with me at all times. I must say so far I've been lucky, it's only my second issue in almost three years...I have been able to stop it each time before it turns into anaphylactic shock..

But I never realized before that incident that antihistaminic medication could make me gain weight!