Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

HappyJoy53

Weight Regain

Rate this Entry
I notice a lot of folks are going back for a modification surgery after 5 years or so. Is regaining weight and having to do this surgery more than once a common occurrence? If so, any thoughts about why.

Submit "Weight Regain" to Digg Submit "Weight Regain" to del.icio.us Submit "Weight Regain" to StumbleUpon Submit "Weight Regain" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Oh geeze... this has to be a one time shot for me!!!! I know that after surgery I have to take the first year to learn to change my eating behaviors and make exercise a priority for the rest of my life. Everyone is different and everyone has different life experiences. I have had stress on top of stress and extenuating issues I have dealt with over the years that have inadvertently effected me (and my weight... because I let it). I am also dealing with how to put me on the priority list and take charge of my life. I hope that my surgery can become a tool for change but I certainly don't want to repeat it over and over.
    I think that its a small number of people who go in for any revision. At least that has been my experience. As my surgeon said the sleeve is a tool, it is not the answer. You still have to do the work. Getting the sleeve is the best decision I have ever made, however, you still have to be careful and follow the guidelines outlined by surgeon and his team for continued success.
    Quote Originally Posted by GigiUSA
    Oh geeze... this has to be a one time shot for me!!!! I know that after surgery I have to take the first year to learn to change my eating behaviors and make exercise a priority for the rest of my life. Everyone is different and everyone has different life experiences. I have had stress on top of stress and extenuating issues I have dealt with over the years that have inadvertently effected me (and my weight... because I let it). I am also dealing with how to put me on the priority list and take charge of my life. I hope that my surgery can become a tool for change but I certainly don't want to repeat it over and over.
    Oh goodness, I completely agree. I am worried enough doing this once.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenson
    I think that its a small number of people who go in for any revision. At least that has been my experience. As my surgeon said the sleeve is a tool, it is not the answer. You still have to do the work. Getting the sleeve is the best decision I have ever made, however, you still have to be careful and follow the guidelines outlined by surgeon and his team for continued success.
    I completely agree. Thanks so much.
    I figure if you can't do it the first time and lose weight... round 2 isn't going to do much either. You HAVE to change your lifestyle, plain and simple. And you have to really start exercising, if you don't already.

I had 3 months before my surgery to change my entire way of eating foods, accepting this new way of life and sticking to it. And I have. I would NEVER ever go through this again if I failed the first time. Too much time, money and physical issues to deal with.
    I think it is about what you do and how committed you are. My sister is 5 1/2 years post op and still tiny. She monitors her weight daily and springs into action when the scale hits 5 lbs above her "happy" weight. Truth be told, if you take action then, you will always be successful. My dad is 27 years post op for gastric bypass. He did allow himself to gain over the years. Once my mom passed and he decided he did not want to be lonely he was able to lose the 60 lbs he gained. (He never got back to his pre surgery weight.) So it is about what you do to keep focused. Some people don't meet their goal...why? I am sure that a small percentage have a medical reason but most people just don't follow the rules. That is my 2 cents. I personally do not plan on ever needing a resleeve. I will weigh daily and not allow myself to bounce past 5.
    Post sleeve we go from eating almost nothing (first 3 months) to half a cup (months 6/7) to a cup or half a plate at 12/18 months. We know since the beginning that those months eating nothing will help us the most to lose weight, but focusing on nutrition (high quality) and exercise as much as possible will also help a lot from 6 months out. I can tell you that we are not all equal in weight loss, some lose fast, many don't, but the key is consistency.

When we stop losing or lose almost nothing, a few people can get defeated and just think "what the hell, failed attempt again" and then eat one tube of ice dream each night. That is going to sabotage all their efforts!

I was really frustrated when I realized I was a slow loser, and sometimes can stay weeks in stalls. But little by little it adds up and even with my complicated health and metabolism I'm hoping to reach my goal at some point...probably after two years!! but who cares! the most important is to get there!

Exercise is important to increase the metabolism (and burn more calories when resting) so I know that the more I can walk/bike/swim, the more I'm helping my body to shed the weight!

But looking at the future I know I will jump on my scale each week to always notice right away if I start to gain weight, but also have regular blood work to monitor my vitamin levels because when my anemia gets worth I do crave sweets..