Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

TarotAces

Weight Regain after reaching goal...

Rate this Entry

Comments

I have done a lot of research on this as well. New studies are coming out that there are many people who are successful at keeping the pounds off. I can tell you this, the first key to maintaining is weighing yourself regularly and springing into action the minute you go past your 5 lb buffer. I also know that the people I see having regain are also the ones who think that they can eat whatever they want as they are not on a "diet". I will say we should be adapting a new healthy lifestyle with our sleeve. I know there is no way I am going back. I weigh daily and am not ashamed to admit that.
    I always say I am not on a "diet," and 95% of the time I eat what I should. But like I just said in a previous post, I won't ever deny myself anything, like a piece of pizza occasionally. I also maintain by weighing myself daily. Maintaining is so much harder than losing! (I thought losing was a piece of cake. And no, I didn't eat cake.) Besides daily weighing I exercise. A lot. But I am not on a diet, never will be. I got fat by dieting my whole life, so that didn't work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    I always say I am not on a "diet," and 95% of the time I eat what I should. But like I just said in a previous post, I won't ever deny myself anything, like a piece of pizza occasionally. I also maintain by weighing myself daily. Maintaining is so much harder than losing! (I thought losing was a piece of cake. And no, I didn't eat cake.) Besides daily weighing I exercise. A lot. But I am not on a diet, never will be. I got fat by dieting my whole life, so that didn't work for me.
    Don't get me wrong...I am referring to the people who eat junk all the time. I don't deny myself either but eat healthy most of the time. My typical day is never going to be filled with junk from morning to night. And I do have cake sometimes. Very small amounts and not on a regular basis.
    I think I am doing pretty well on lowering my carb intake and exercising. Love this guy! And no, I'm not into junk, just don't have it in the house.
    Weight regain is expected, my surgeon did tell me the same during my first consult. It's supposed to show up around 18 months out and can go from 5 to 10% of the weight lost.
    I'm soon reaching that mile stone, but so far I'm checking my weight regularly, and at 18 months I will be back home eating better so I'm hoping to continue losing! Since my metabolism is "weird" I hope to continue on my snail path, losing little by little at least during that time I'm not gaining! A lady in here was losing slowly until year 3 I hope it will be the same for me!
    I have mixed feelings about going around stating that it's normal to experience some weight gain at "X" time postop. On the one hand, it may be psychologically soothing to be told it's OK so you don't totally derail your maintenance after experiencing a small regain. But on the other hand, it allows you to accept the regain so maybe you get a little too lax in your postop eating and excercise regimen. If you are told regain is alright, where's the motivation to NOT regain? For me, any regain is totally unacceptable. Seems that's a slippery slop....if I accept 5-10 pounds, how do I prevent that from becoming 10-20 pounds, or 50+ pounds?

I'm 3 1/2 years out and am still at or within a couple pounds of my lowest weight. If I see a 5 pound regain, I go back to strict basics until I'm back down. It's a lot easier to nix 5 pounds rather than 10. And the real kicker is I'm actually 10 pounds below my original goal and 20 pounds below surgeon's goal, so I would still be a "success" if I gained 10-20 pounds. But in my mind, any regain is a failure on my part. I guess it's all what's acceptable to YOU. If watching this video helps you rationalize regain and continue to maintain at a weight that you are satisfied with, then fine. This is all just a mental game anyways, but know that there are no universal rules as to whether you will regain or not....it is not inevitable. It's your choices that create the weight gain, not some mystical force you have no control over.
    I have heard that most sleeve patients will regain 10% of the weight that they have lost. To me, that is and was a scarey thought. I have regained 5 lbs from my lowest weight and it is really bothering me. For the first time in my life gaining 5lbs feels like I've gained 50! I have definitely gone back to basics. For me the key is and will always be--EXERCISE! Exercise does make the difference.
    I do not plan on gaining back. I know I have the ability to maintain my weight loss. I agree with Kindle...5 lb buffer and daily weigh ins. Not going back to the way I was before. My sister does the exact same thing. She is 5 1/2 years post sleeve and maintains her weight loss the same way.
    Thank you everyone! :-)

One of the reasons I love this community is that everyone seems able, 90% of the time, to express their thoughts and opinions soo articulately!

I wasn't sure how I felt about this video, which is why I posted it here. I thoroughly appreciate your feedback. All of you.

I agree with Kindle and Christie13 about the 5 lb buffer zone once I'm 'maintaining' my weight. I'm still losing right now, am just over halfway to my goal. Once I'm at that point though I'll definitely weigh every morning and nip any bad behaviors in the bud before they get out of control.
    My goal is to stay at 135 pounds. So far, so good. Boy, is this a lifelong learning deal.