Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sallynmichigan

Week 1.5

Rate this Entry
Well, it's funny, but every day I get better and better and yet today I had a set back. I can't place my finger on why I was so weak today. The temperature is getting warmer out and I guess I wasn't prepared for this early morning situation with my brother.

Yesterday, my brother came over to help me take my garbage out because I didn't want to lift anything. He took me to Home Depot so I could buy a new patio umbrella and have him put it in for me too. So today, he came over not too soon after I got up. He came over to put air in my bike tires. But I had an inspiration about asking him to help me turn on my automatic sprinklers. I had to go downstairs for the 2nd time since surgery and the first time with someone on my heels. I noticed I could almost go up a step with one leg and take the other step with the other! Like normal people! But then we had troubles getting to understand the system and it was a lot of standing, going back into the house and back out etc. I was whipped. I took my dog to the dog park and couldn't wait to get home. I slept for about an hour and half.

Not sure what that was all about. I intend to try my bike tonight. I don't want a lot of people looking at me while I ride. Someday, not yet. I know I should walk and maybe I still will tonight, but somehow I feel like I over did it. Maybe I want too much too soon. It's hard for me to just "take it easy". I want to get back to doing what I was doing before surgery. On Wednesday, I go back to the pool. My favorite form of exercise. I am grateful today that I have choices when it comes to exercise. That pleases me and when I loose more, more choices will open up to me. I am excited!

Submit "Week 1.5" to Digg Submit "Week 1.5" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 1.5" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 1.5" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

In my opinion the most crucial thing is to listen to your body. It is ok to nap when you need to or to rest. You can overdo it in the beginning and many people do. Listen to your body. I truly believe that is the key to this whole process.
    Rest when your body tells you, there's nothing wrong with that. As for swimming, make sure the incisions are all healed so you don't get an infection
    Well I guess it's too early to ride my bike. I was able to get my leg across the bike, but couldn't pedal. It hurt my knee too much to turn the pedals if that makes sense. But getting my leg over the back tire was a big hurdle! Although it was disappointing, I know it will be something I can achieve very soon. I am going to simulate riding a bike in the pool so I can ready my legs for it. It was a good test for sure!
    Christie13,

Per usual, your advice is spot on. Thank you!
    I'm fortunate in the fact that I can start using our pool in March through October usually since it's heated but I have a blow up pool toy I guess you'd call it - it's a plain old tub but kinda cut in half - can't describe it exactly sorry. But anyway at nite I'll go over to the pool and hang off of it instead of actually swimming laps (which I also do) I'll just hang onto the tube and kick or "bicycle" for awhile. But as for energy I was totally weak and exhausted for nearly 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by azladyrider
    I'm fortunate in the fact that I can start using our pool in March through October usually since it's heated but I have a blow up pool toy I guess you'd call it - it's a plain old tub but kinda cut in half - can't describe it exactly sorry. But anyway at nite I'll go over to the pool and hang off of it instead of actually swimming laps (which I also do) I'll just hang onto the tube and kick or "bicycle" for awhile. But as for energy I was totally weak and exhausted for nearly 6 months.
    Thanks for letting me know about being weak for 6 months so I am aware that is something I could be facing. I realized today that I wasn't getting my iron from my multivitamin so I ran out to get some. I am hoping that is going to help me. I mean I would like some energy to do my laundry. I wake up and want to go to bed! I still have another week and half before I can get to purred food. Sheesh no wonder I am weak!
    I burn the most calories in the pool. I love it. Good for you for keeping on the move, even when you dont feel like it! As everyone else said, listen to your body. I took lots and lots of naps my first month and now I have more energy. No one said it would be easy but it will be worth it!!!
    Do what you can do. Do not overdo it or you will pay for it later with aches and pains. Try to do a little more each day so your body can adjust to the changes. Baby steps is what I always recommend!
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I have been listening to my body more and more. I was given 4 weeks off work even though the surgeon said originally it would only be 2 weeks. That meant I wouldn't be working for the last days of school. My other job called today which is also a driving job and wanted me to work 6 hours tomorrow. I turned that down. I don't feel ready to drive for 6 hours yet. My doctors note ends next weekend, and I am not even sure I am ready to drive for hours at a time like that yet. Not because of the driving part, but the fatigue. I sure wish that energy level would kick in.

I am taking iron and b12 and multivitamins, but still feel a little dizzy sometimes and certainly fatigued. I have been walking about 6 blocks for 3 days now and it drains me. I do want to go back to the pool but have decided to wait. I have had a bit of pain in my lower left of my belly button and I don't want to aggravate that. Swimming is such a full body workout that I don't want to push it. I have also started working on lifting small weights to work on my arms. Wow, it's work, but I can do it at home and I appreciate that.

I guess I get carried away about talking about my journey, but I wanted to really say thank you to everyone who is on this site. It's great to listen to everyone's different experiences and it is so helpful. So thank you!
    If you are feeling dizzy on a walk, that is probably a sign to stop. I felt that way, but only for the first few weeks. Are you drinking enough and getting in your protein?