Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Renda

What do you think about returning to an office type job after week 1 PO?

Rate this Entry
Hi all.
I'd like to know what you guys think about me going back to work after week 1 post op? Thoughts ? Experiences? I'm hopeful I'll feel up to it. T is after all an office type job, so really just doing a lot of sitting.
Thank you
Renda

Submit "What do you think about returning to an office type job after week 1 PO?" to Digg Submit "What do you think about returning to an office type job after week 1 PO?" to del.icio.us Submit "What do you think about returning to an office type job after week 1 PO?" to StumbleUpon Submit "What do you think about returning to an office type job after week 1 PO?" to Google

Comments

I couldn't have done it because I was so weak and dizzy and my brain was still in an anesthesia fog. Lasted about 2 months for me, but there are plenty of people that go right back to work.

I couldn't, but you might be able to. Do you have any experience with general anesthesia? How it affects you afterwards?
    I also have a desk job and returned to work after 6 days post-op. I felt fine,was a little tired for the first week but not so tired I felt like I needed a nap or anything. I think it depends on the person.
    I had surgery on a Thursday and returned to work on the following Thursday. I also have a desk job. Really no issues for me. Just had to wear comfy clothes for my tummy.
    The pain was minimal for me, it was my brain that wouldn't work! (Plus I developed pneumonia in the first week.). I was super dizzy all the time...I don't metabolize the anesthesia very well.
    I had surgery on a Thursday and was "working" from my laptop a little that evening but full force the next morning when I went to my own private hotel room, drove myself home from the airport on Saturday late afternoon and was back in clients offices by Monday mid morning. Course I have the luxury of working for a few hours then taking a break or a nap even so not sure how it would be for a forced 8 hour typical day.
    Same as Pam, I was vomiting for 3 days non stop at the hospital, felt weak for about a month. Glad I was off during that time!! But it was not a surprise, anesthesia always make me sick. Here with the fact that the surgery was done the stomach it just got much worth. For ex just the barium test before the surgery would make me really nauseous for two days!...so I was expecting to feel bad and I did. But it's just a few bad weeks, and it was all worth it.
    I'm having my surgery on a Monday and plan to return to work the following Monday. I plan to utilize the option to "work" from my laptop as needed but I am hopeful I can get back the following week. Everyone is different... I wish you luck in your surgery and recovery !!
    I will be working from home 6 days post op.
    I guess everyone is different. I think you'll have to see how you're feeling post op. I was off for two weeks after my surgery. The first week I needed just to get used to what I was going to be preparing for meals, etc. Good Luck in whatever you decide.
    I found the hardest part of returning to work was planning meals and food intake.
    I was off for a week, worked from home for a week, then back to work.
    It is different for everyone - but getting meals in while at work was the hardest part.
    I took 2 weeks. First week to rest, second week to learn about my new lifestyle, shop and stuff. But I was a teacher and basically on my feet all day, an office job may be different. (But if they will give you 2 weeks, take it!)
    I went back to an office type job in 9 days after surgery and walked a mile in 5 days (which is something I couldn't do before surgery). I think you'll be fine
    Everyone is different but I went back after a week and I did fine.
    Yes I've had a breast augmentation and endoscopy's before and felt fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam G
    I couldn't have done it because I was so weak and dizzy and my brain was still in an anesthesia fog. Lasted about 2 months for me, but there are plenty of people that go right back to work.

I couldn't, but you might be able to. Do you have any experience with general anesthesia? How it affects you afterwards?
    Thanks guys all this info really has helped me. I am getting surgery tomorrow, and so we shall see!!!!
    God bless>>
    TY
    Good luck tomorrow. You've got this. Try to stay calm and positive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    Same as Pam, I was vomiting for 3 days non stop at the hospital, felt weak for about a month. Glad I was off during that time!! But it was not a surprise, anesthesia always make me sick. Here with the fact that the surgery was done the stomach it just got much worth. For ex just the barium test before the surgery would make me really nauseous for two days!...so I was expecting to feel bad and I did. But it's just a few bad weeks, and it was all worth it.
    I'm concerned about this too because anesthesia makes me so sick. Do they have meds for it or anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJoy53
    I'm concerned about this too because anesthesia makes me so sick. Do they have meds for it or anything?
    Yes, when I was in hospital they gave me injections each time I was vomiting but I'm "the complicated patient" and nothing worked. I guess I stopped vomiting when the chemicals got flushed out of my system. But my surgeon knew it, he had extended knowledge of my medical history and my room was facing the nurse station. I had for instruction to call them each time I started to be sick again. Those lovely ladies were in my room all day...always with a smile..For the majority of patients those meds work fine, I'm just an exception so don't worry. I have an history of bad reactions to anesthesia, vomiting 9 months when pregnant, motion sickness .. etc. Most of my surgeon's patients were sick only a few hours post-op. They kept me an extra day at the hospital because I had to keep the IV until I could drink water. But actually for me it had to be mixed with juice (Dr instructions) because I couldn't drink just water until a few weeks post-op.. I knew the vomiting could be bad post-op but that didn't stop me from doing the surgery because I knew it would be temporary and that surgery was desperately needed. I have no regrets, only wished I could have done it sooner! take care!