Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

jstarr

How long does it take you to eat your standard meal?

Rate this Entry
I'm currently a little over a month out, and down about 35lbs. I was wondering how long it takes you to eat your meals. I can tolerate up to about 4 oz, depending on what I'm eating, could be less. I find the mushy foods I can handle more, and things more solid I can handle less.

Any way, I think I'm eating it to quickly. How long does it take you to eat your meal?

Submit "How long does it take you to eat your standard meal?" to Digg Submit "How long does it take you to eat your standard meal?" to del.icio.us Submit "How long does it take you to eat your standard meal?" to StumbleUpon Submit "How long does it take you to eat your standard meal?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I eat too fast too and I know I do. Just make yourself take a few bites get up and go do something even for a few minutes and if you're not full then a few more. A trick I found that helped at the start was buying a coffee cup warmer and rather than nuking your plate over and over cause it got cold just put it on that and it helped keep it a little warm. I also still never ever eat in the living room ever.... I have a breakfast nook that I can sit at and watch TV from so I totally restrict my eating to there and no other room in my house. Helps with the "distracted eating" like nibbling at my desk in my home office.
    As AZLadyRider said avoid distractions while eating. Try to stay present and mindful of every bite or sip. If you feel you eat too fast, you can slow down by evaluating the texture or taste and how it makes you feel. These are things I am learning by reading a book called "Intuitive Eating" it takes a lot of effort to stop eating mindlessly.

I definitely do not inhale my food like I did preop, for sure discomforts early on slowed me down. I am just over a year out, and I try to stay true to the "Protein First Rule" and when I do I sm forced to eat slower. If I don't I notice I can eat faster and more because vegetables and grains go down much easier and can push in a lot more, but then as soon as I eat my protein I get full extremely fast and then I don't meet my protein requirements. It's a catch 22!!!
    It takes me at least a half hour to eat, if not more. If I eat too fast I regret it instantly. I get hiccups, burps, and my tummy hurts. So I take my time and enjoy my food.
    IN the early days it would take me 20 min to finish a couple tablespoons (ahhh...the good old days). I spent probably 1 1/2 years being very careful about eating very slowly. I even used a timer on my phone and set my fork down between bites. But now I just scarf my meals. It might take me 3 minutes to finish shovelling it in. Oh well. I do, however, try to eat slower when I'm out at a restaurant or having dinner with friends in an attempt to make my teeny tiny portion last as long as their giant plates of food.
    Eating too fast is probably one of my biggest problems. If I just slow down, I can eat so much more and stay satisfied for so much longer. It's a discipline that I need to practice.
    I have a close friend who had hers done 2 years after I did and OMG when we go to lunch or dinner she eats so fast I can't believe it then she has horrible hiccups and burpies - I just laugh at her. For me at least I would think that at social settings especially we don't want to draw attention to us eating so little for 1 thing so I know I tend to eat a lot slower in public so I can visit with my friends and not sit there for a half hour done eating while they are still enjoying their meals
    Since I work from home it's so easy for me to grab a handful of almonds or grapes or a protein bar and eat it at my desk but then an hour later I would realize I couldn't recall the last time I ate so I self banned food from my office and any other place other than my kitchen or dining room
    After over three years, as fast as I want. Hubby will look at me and say "Slow down!!" I so need to practice putting the fork down between bites. If I eat too fast I won't know when I'm full.
    I'm 6 years post op and it takes me a long time to eat a meal (small meal). If I eat too quickly, as I have a tendency to do, I pay the price. You'll get a balance and sense of what you should do if you listen to you body. Continued success!