Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

JLPSch

Really, No One Watches You in Boot Camp

Rate this Entry
I used to hate group exercise classes before surgery, but now I'm getting used to them again. Here's my latest post about doing my first boot camp since surgery:

https://downthescale.com/2017/05/24/nooneiswatching/

Do you feel better about exercising after surgery?

Take care,
Jen

Submit "Really, No One Watches You in Boot Camp" to Digg Submit "Really, No One Watches You in Boot Camp" to del.icio.us Submit "Really, No One Watches You in Boot Camp" to StumbleUpon Submit "Really, No One Watches You in Boot Camp" to Google

Comments

Yes, I don't mind exercising at all these days in front of other people. Not in a yoga class, or in the pool, or walking on the street, or in a kayak or any other way.

There's a great saying in yoga: "Stay on your own mat." Meaning ... don't compare yourself to others, don't judge others, don't look to others to define your success, don't seek approval, don't be jealous of others.

Yoga is not perfected, but practiced. Perfection is always out of reach and changing. We practice yoga with every session, every pose, every breath.

And like yoga, which is a lifelong, evolving process, our lives post-WLS will evolve as we discover, create, refine and lead our healthier lifestyles.

Namaste.
    When I first walked into a Zumba class I was so self conscious. (And I wasn't heavy then.) I just assumed I'd be the odd ball, the one who everyone notices would do the wrong moves. After the first class, I learned that NO ONE gives a hoot about anyone except themselves. I enjoyed going 4 days a week, and am getting ready to go back now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    Yes, I don't mind exercising at all these days in front of other people. Not in a yoga class, or in the pool, or walking on the street, or in a kayak or any other way.

There's a great saying in yoga: "Stay on your own mat." Meaning ... don't compare yourself to others, don't judge others, don't look to others to define your success, don't seek approval, don't be jealous of others.

Yoga is not perfected, but practiced. Perfection is always out of reach and changing. We practice yoga with every session, every pose, every breath.

And like yoga, which is a lifelong, evolving process, our lives post-WLS will evolve as we discover, create, refine and lead our healthier lifestyles.

Namaste.

I love the saying "stay on your mat." It's perfect. Namaste.
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertGal
    When I first walked into a Zumba class I was so self conscious. (And I wasn't heavy then.) I just assumed I'd be the odd ball, the one who everyone notices would do the wrong moves. After the first class, I learned that NO ONE gives a hoot about anyone except themselves. I enjoyed going 4 days a week, and am getting ready to go back now.

I've done Zumba and felt the same way. No one is watching me stumble and use the wrong leg I quickly discovered.
    I have to admit, I hated going to the group classes at the gym. I could never keep up.

I started practicing yoga 15 years ago. And I loved the fact that the focus was on self. You really can never truly practice yoga if you are watching anyone else. It's too distracting and the yogi will call you out to remind you to come back to center.

I had the same experience with my Get Fit Program last fall. It was the red/orange zone method and one cannot get to the fat burning zone focusing on anyone else. We did team-up from time to time, and it that was so we could be the best team to finish first. Missing those days, and that program. Hope to find similar in CA.
    I would love to do Zumba -- never have. I think it would be so much fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    I have to admit, I hated going to the group classes at the gym. I could never keep up.

I started practicing yoga 15 years ago. And I loved the fact that the focus was on self. You really can never truly practice yoga if you are watching anyone else. It's too distracting and the yogi will call you out to remind you to come back to center.

I had the same experience with my Get Fit Program last fall. It was the red/orange zone method and one cannot get to the fat burning zone focusing on anyone else. We did team-up from time to time, and it that was so we could be the best team to finish first. Missing those days, and that program. Hope to find similar in CA.
    I like yoga, too, for the same reasons. I need to do it with a group as I get distracted doing it at home. I hate seeing what is lurking underneath my couch!

What's Get Fit?
    Zumba is my favorite exercise class to do. After attending for a year or so, to this day, I can NOT listen to music and not imagine a dance step routine. Every day on my 2-3 mile walks, every song I hear in my ipod, I am choreographing moves in my head. I'm ready to get back to class.... maybe next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLPSch
    I like yoga, too, for the same reasons. I need to do it with a group as I get distracted doing it at home. I hate seeing what is lurking underneath my couch!

What's Get Fit?
    LOL! I used to have cats and dogs and the dust bunnies that accumulated underneath couch and corners were dreadful!

The Get Fit Program is a 12-week program offered through the University of Texas at Austin (known as UT) Fitness Institute to the general public. It helps couch potato types get into an exercise routine that won't scare them off, but will challenge. They have a very holistic approach incorporating weight resistance training and orange/red zone (fat burning) method of circuit training, with meeting with a nutritionist. Here is more info http://sites.edb.utexas.edu/fit/get-fit/

I wish there was a similar program where I live now, for now I am working out with a trainer 2x week at the Golds Gym near me. I haven't had the nerve to attend any of the array of classes they offer, but I do utilize swimming pool when there isn't too many people and the ellipticals in their cinema room where is dark and movies are constantly playing.

They offer hot yoga and hatha yoga so I am going to try to make those, tho their schedule doesn't work too well since I am taking care of my grandson during the day tome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    LOL! I used to have cats and dogs and the dust bunnies that accumulated underneath couch and corners were dreadful!

The Get Fit Program is a 12-week program offered through the University of Texas at Austin (known as UT) Fitness Institute to the general public. It helps couch potato types get into an exercise routine that won't scare them off, but will challenge. They have a very holistic approach incorporating weight resistance training and orange/red zone (fat burning) method of circuit training, with meeting with a nutritionist. Here is more info http://sites.edb.utexas.edu/fit/get-fit/

I wish there was a similar program where I live now, for now I am working out with a trainer 2x week at the Golds Gym near me. I haven't had the nerve to attend any of the array of classes they offer, but I do utilize swimming pool when there isn't too many people and the ellipticals in their cinema room where is dark and movies are constantly playing.

They offer hot yoga and hatha yoga so I am going to try to make those, tho their schedule doesn't work too well since I am taking care of my grandson during the day tome.
    That sounds like a great program! Your gym sounds great, too. It is hard to fit classes in when you have a little one to watch. I've tried doing yoga at home with my kids, but they always want to talk while we do it. Not very relaxing for me!
    OMG!! I love boot camp classes. I was in the best shape ever when I was doing boot camp in the Netherlands. I am so glad that you getting more comfortable and enjoying these new situations.