Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Linamoon

I am over trying to eat.

Rate this Entry
Okay I know I am only 5 days out. My surgeon put me on full liquid diet the day after surgery. I can hardly get the water up to 30 oz much less anything else.
I don't even want to eat. Okay I want a salad or spaghetti. But I sure the heck know I am not eating that.
I have managed to choke down chocolate pudding with injury protein power. But when I tried the same with tomato soup. It made me want to hard.
I take all my vitamins faithfully.
I just want something that has some real nutritional value. Pudding is junk to me.
Anyone have a suggestion of something decent I can eat.
Thanks!

Submit "I am over trying to eat." to Digg Submit "I am over trying to eat." to del.icio.us Submit "I am over trying to eat." to StumbleUpon Submit "I am over trying to eat." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You can probably have yogurt as long as it is low fat and low sugar. I had alot of that at the beginning. Soup broths should be fine. I made homemade chicken soup and just had the broth for quite awhile. They had told me applesauce(no sugar of course). Cottage cheese was something else I was told I could have, but every doctor is different.
    I feel your pain. I was on full liquids for 2 weeks after (not to mention the 10 days prior to surgery). I was not hungry BUT I was craving real food the first week (if that makes sense.) I know it was more of seeing what my husband and kids were eating and felt disbelief that I would no longer be able to eat meals I enjoyed, for a long time to come, and also the portions like I had previously eaten. And by previously I mean the way I had retrained myself to eat on the pre-op diet required by my insurance company.

The 3 months before surgery I was on a strict, STRICT diet and my portions were miniscule but I was wanting that (and lost over 41 pounds), even though I didn't want to eat because I had NO hunger. I didn't like pudding. I didn't like popsicles. I didn't like baby food cereal at 2 weeks out. I still don't know how I muddled through it but I did. I am still muddling through. You will too.

I am two months out now, and can now drink 34 oz of water a day, if I am lucky. I am slowly increasing and some days it works better than others. I am amazed at people who are comsuming 64, 75, 100 oz of water a day after a few months. It's going to take time for me.

Just take it one day at a time.
    I could not tolerate the sweets immediately post op. I survived with broth, creamed soups made with nonfat milk, nonfat latte's, and warm tea. Warm fluids were easier for me post op. I know that technically I was not supposed to have creamed soups but for the small tablespoons I was eating it definitely did not hurt me and I have been successful on my journey. My throat was very sore from the intubation. Good luck.
    Water was tough for me at the beginning, suggest warm tea and broth. It gets better each day. If you like fat free re-fried beans take some of those and puree with 1/2 portion of chicken broth. I had that daily and it helped. Good luck!
    I am sad to hear you are having trouble. It's not easy that's for sure. I just try the best I can each day and know that each day it will get better. Please take care and one day at a time. Sending you big hugs. ������������
    Thank you all. You are great inspiration! It will get better. Just have to make my mind grasp it.
    First two weeks after surgery I was on protein drinks and liquids, that was it. The protein drinks are packed with nutritional value. I wasn't hungry at the time, so it was no problem for me. I was sure to get my minimum water and protein. Didn't want to end up back in the hospital!