Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

GigiUSA

Question about routine testing - Colonoscopy

Rate this Entry
So it appears that now that I am 50, I am supposed to have a yearly colonoscopy. My question to the group is how does the "prep" work then you have a small stomach? I put the test off so I could be with my daughter when she had her baby. Now I am going to put the test off so that I can have my Sleeve Surgery. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Submit "Question about routine testing - Colonoscopy" to Digg Submit "Question about routine testing - Colonoscopy" to del.icio.us Submit "Question about routine testing - Colonoscopy" to StumbleUpon Submit "Question about routine testing - Colonoscopy" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

No I haven't but I think there should be no issues. Just ensure that the doctor knows you have had a sleeve prior to scheduling your colonoscopy.
    Why not have the colonoscopy before your sleeve surgery? My doctor only requires a colonoscopy every 5 years unless there are problems that arise or a history of colon cancer in your family.

I drank the same prep as before sleeve surgery and had no problems.
    I would suggest getting your colonoscopy done before surgery. Or at least wait 6-12 months postop. The colon prep you have to drink is God-awful anyways, but trying to do it with a tiny new sleeve is beyond awful. I had to have a colonoscopy as part of my fecal transplant treatment for C. diff 3 1/2 months postop. They want you to drink this horrible concoction and then like 32 oz of water in an hour which was quite impossible for my teeny sleeve at that point. This was the only thing that made me gag postop, so forget it if you already have nausea issues like so many postop patients do. Not to mention the accelerated "effects".... I barely got 1/2 of it down before I needed to make a mad dash for the toilet. Never got very far from the bathroom that night. Then repeat the next morning.

The colonoscopy itself was painless, easy and not even an issue. It's the prep that sucked.
    Thanks for the info and advice Sleevers. We do not have a family history of issues it was just a doctors suggestion. I don't think I can get it in before but will push it off until next year.
    I have NEVER heard of a yearly colonoscopy unless you have some really bad family history of cancer of the colon. I think my recommendation is every 5 years.
    Lol maybe it was at 50 and then 5 years after that? I'm going to wait.
    Colon cancer screening should begin at age 50 for most people. If a colonoscopydoesn't find adenomas or cancer and you don't have risk factors, the next test shouldbe in ten years. If one or two small, low-risk adenomas are removed, the examshould be repeated in five to ten years.

Colonoscopy | Choosing Wisely

www.choosingwisely.org/patient-resources/colonoscopy/

what Kindle said is true: the colon prep is a wild ride, for sure.

I'd go ahead and just git her done, cause it'll be harder to drink all that prep liquid after you're sleeved.
    Oh yish! I have to have a colonoscopy at 50 years old?!?
    i opt out every year i know i have to do it but just not there yet, i do colon test done as a smear but thats about it
    I have never had a colonoscopy but I however had a kidney stone six weeks after my surgery and they did an ultrasound which I had to drink a litre of water an hour before. It was extremely hard to do but I managed to get most of it down. At least mine was just water so that wasn't so bad, not sure how easy it would be to drink that concoction after surgery