Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

DesertGal

I Survived The Last 7 Weeks After Surgery

Rate this Entry
I got to say, this has been so much harder than I imagined. Everyone is different from each other and I am in awe of the folks who say, after surgery, how it's "been so easy to drink water" and "I had No problem eating".

My pre op weight loss was a cake walk compared to this. I am not complaining about how much I have lost in such a short amount of time: 72 pounds down, 30 inches GONE, BMI is 29.3 down from 40.3, going from a 22 jeans to 8/10 size in shorts, 2x and 3x in tops, now down to Large.... that's wonderful. I have just been able to drink 42.5 oz of water YESTERDAY, where as up till the day before I could only get in 'maybe' 16 oz on any given day. Just like that. Now I hope my eating can pick up (God I never thought I'd be saying those words!).

I am not hungry, I really have not been hungry since surgery. But I DO KNOW I need to get in protein, other than a dang shake. I had been drinking 2 of those a day up until the last couple days... I can't drink 2 anymore, they feel heavy. I see people on here who have had surgery "2 weeks ago; 3 weeks ago" and I see what they are eating (not only the AMOUNTS but the actual foods) and am shocked. Since my week 3 post op I have been on pureed foods which let me tell you, isn't easy for me. I can NOT eat pureed meat (beef, chicken, pork or FISH. Tuna, is my pureed fish). I have been eating 1-2 tbsp. per meal FOR nearly 5 weeks now... and I am stuffed, sick, or hacking up foam. My nutrtionist said to not 'cheat and skip a step' , stay the course, and I have... sort of. I did try some semi pureed chicken the other day, just a bite and I mean a SMALL bite, and I had instant barfing. I can eat grilled tilapia (one bite and throw the rest out... it's too much and they are 3 oz pieces.) I ate one of my homemade meatballs that were so tender they were considered pureed and it went down fine. I tried it the next day with a 1/2 of a 1/2 slice of soft wheat bread and it was as if I had swallowed nails. Barfing commenced and that was after 1 tbs? My surgeon said I am fine, I am only to eat what's on the list. I am.

After that debacle on Thursday I was SO sorry I went through with the surgery. I can't believe I am saying this out loud because I haven't even told my husband. It's not that I am missing food, or eating like my previous life... far from it, but I kept thinking if THIS is it, only having soups, or 1 bite of tilapia or one meatball without having to barf my guts up.... this is so NOT worth it.

But that was THURSDAY. I woke up losing another 2 pounds overnight and looked in the mirror and said "OMG, look at you!" No more high blood pressure meds, no more cholesterol pills, no need now to begin the type 2 diabetes meds I was SUPPOSED to start in December, I don't need my sleep apnea machine anymore- yet I cling to it like grim death-, and I have NO more aches and pains in my arms and legs. (Granted, I am on Plaquenil, and leflunomide (Arava) for rheumatoid arthritis and I know that helped in my hands and fingers and elbows and shoulders.... BUT, my hips and low back are pain free.)

I am NOT sorry I had the surgery, and do not regret it at all. I have just been frustrated with the fact that I can't eat what I thought I could eat, what is on my approved list from my NUT. And I now know that what some of these other people out here eat at their early stages, may not be something I should be eating even now, 7 weeks out.

So, bottom line.... if I have to keep eating my cream of broccoli soups, and my 1 scrambled egg, and a bite of Tilapia for a little longer, so be it. I had high hopes of next Friday, my 8 weeks post op date being one where I could have a piece of tender, moist chicken and steamed, soft broccoli for dinner but I am not holding my breath. That day will come.

Submit "I Survived The Last 7 Weeks After Surgery" to Digg Submit "I Survived The Last 7 Weeks After Surgery" to del.icio.us Submit "I Survived The Last 7 Weeks After Surgery" to StumbleUpon Submit "I Survived The Last 7 Weeks After Surgery" to Google

Comments

Th3/4e day will come when you can eat almost any food you want. Be thankful for the restriction, because we know what we used to be capable of eating, and we don't want to go there. Even though you will find you CAN (who knows why) eat "slider" foods....don't. Crackers, bread, pasta, potatoes, etc. they're the foods that can get out of control so easily, just stay away from them. Your amounts will also increase. I am six months out and can't eat a cup of food yet, but 3/4 of a cup is doable, it all evolves. Soon, you'll wonder how to maintain your weight, it goes fast. Good luck!
    I can say everyone is different. I am 6 months post op and still not eating what I see some people eating at 2 and 3 weeks post op. If you look at my blogs I discussed how it took me months to be able to get my fluids in. I was able to go to foods sooner than you based on my nut/surgeon recommendations. I do think that when I started on foods it slowly got better. Let me tell you a typical day for me (I was 6 months post op on the 3rd):
    Breakfast: 20 oz nonfat latter from Starbucks with Splenda
    Lunch: Oikos Triple Zero yogurt **or**
    some leftover meat from dinner
    with some thing else like nuts, veggies, pork rinds....but not much of it
    (Sometimes I will have a 3P protein pack or the low carb snack packs)
    Dinner: Some meat and veggies like fajita meat with shredded cheese and pico, some chicken and veggies, fish and veggies, etc
    Snacks throughout the day: a few pork rinds, beef jerky, or some nuts.
    After dinner snack: 2-3 sugar free popsicles.

I can tell you that I am not eating more than a half cup at any meal but I do not actually measure my foods. I do also drink water and diet flavored green tea during the day. I actually need those sugar free popsicles to help with my "fluid" intake. I feel healthy so I am not too worried about my food/fluid intake. I am peeing regularly now (which I wasn't in the beginning) so I am pretty sure I am getting enough fluids. I do think that 1-2 tbs per meal seems very low to me. I would suggest the sugar free popsicles if you can tolerate them to help with your fluid issues.
    Thank you ladies! I have heard of slider foods, but don't want to GO THERE. My day will come, and I can eat 3/4 a cup of something like meat. Yum! It will happen.

Christie, I have the sugar free pops here and I FORGET I have them. I tired in the beginning to eat them and I couldn't stand them. But my taste buds are coming back, I will try again tonight. (Mothers Day dessert for me.) Your examples of food sound great and hoping I can get there soon. I'd love some fajita meat and pico! (I have never had a latte...not sure what it is, but I hear about it so I think I should try it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertGal
    Thank you ladies! I have heard of slider foods, but don't want to GO THERE. My day will come, and I can eat 3/4 a cup of something like meat. Yum! It will happen.

Christie, I have the sugar free pops here and I FORGET I have them. I tired in the beginning to eat them and I couldn't stand them. But my taste buds are coming back, I will try again tonight. (Mothers Day dessert for me.) Your examples of food sound great and hoping I can get there soon. I'd love some fajita meat and pico! (I have never had a latte...not sure what it is, but I hear about it so I think I should try it.)
    Latte is just espresso coffee and milk. (I use the nonfat milk.) I love the flavor and the milk gets my protein in at breakfast. I am a purist with coffee. Never have liked putting flavorings in mine like they offer at Starbucks. (Vanilla, caramel, hazelnut etc)
    As for foods, you will get there. I felt a lot better when I started eating real foods. Just remember the key is slow and allow yourself to feel the full. You do not want to feel stuffed after it. If you feel stuffed, you probably ate too much. But it is really to do in the beginning. It takes me a while to eat a meal.
    Thank you for posting about this. My surgery is in 19 days and i want to know every side of this. Your post was very informative and helpful. I won't freak out if everything is not easy and exactly as it is explained to me.
    I would like to add that even when we feel we are eating 'slowly' we may not be eating slowly enough. I am just over 4 months post-op and have JUST NOW figured out that I need to actually wait 1 to 2 minutes between each bite. It has helped me SOO much; I wasn't able to eat much until someone told me that their surgeon makes them wait 3 minutes between bites, which they felt was ridiculous and didn't do but once they actually TRIED it their nausea went away, no more vomiting, etc. I tried one minute between bites and it works, unless it's a 'high restriction day' and then I wait 1.5 or 2 minutes between bites. SOOO much easier to eat now.

Also, now I CHEW my food into an actual paste consistency, religiously. It's tedious, but I'm sure I'll develop it as a new habit because the result is being able to eat without discomfort and it's SOO worth it.

Worth a shot. :-) I hope it works for you.
    Updated 05-22-2017 at 02:04 PM by TarotAces (added stuff)
    DesertGal I was actually thinking about posting a similar entry! I'm with you: I'm not complaining (really, truly), but just curious if I will ever be able to eat semi-normal. I don't even want NORMAL normal. Just something in the ballpark. I am 10 weeks out (wow, time flies) and pretty much eating what you're eating (although no bread -- no carbs at all. I actually think bread would get "stuck" and I'm not supposed to have carbs anyway). I refuse to make myself crazy sticking to the schedule of food and drink. Sorry, NOT gonna drink that much. Never did. Never will. Not worrying about it. So, Gal, let's try not to get too worried. I do believe the other posters, that it will get closer to normal with time. Let's just ride this as long as we can! I think I can speak for both of us (and correct me if I'm wrong) but I feel very healthy, plenty of energy, and no issues. We can't go back, so let's enjoy this. Take vitamins. Eat primarily protein. Lose weight! :-)
    I felt the same way at about week six. I was cleared to eat pretty much anything after five weeks but everytime I ate I was instantly throwing up foam, then I suddenly realized that that foam was actually acid reflux not my body so much rejecting the food. I got a good ant-acid and that made a world of difference. However, one bite too many and I would be sick or would feel like I was going to be. I am still like that at just about three months out. I find it varies from day to day how much I can eat. Sometimes three small bites for supper(which makes it so hard to cook-luckily the leftovers usually provide me with lunch for the next day) and then this weekend we were at a catered function and I couldn't believe it I actually ate a whole roast beef bun and was not really uncomfortable. I was happy to be able to eat a decent amount as I was sitting at a head table and I know people were watching. Water was a huge issue for me too. I couldn't drink that much either but the ant-acid helped with that and drinking water(with mio) that was closer to room temperature helped alot. I found I am always so cold since my surgery that drinking cold water was hard to force down(prior to surgery I could never drink water unless it had ice in it and was super cold).
    I did learn the hard way about water intake. I thought I was doing good with my water intake at about 7 glasses a day but ended up in the hospital with a kidney stone which they said was because of dehydration. I had been stressing so much about my water intake prior in my first few weeks then I decided to quit worrying about it. Well I tell you after passing a kidney stone I am very conscious to amke sure I get atleast 8 glasses in a day. I am usually able to get more now that I am drinking coffee again.
    This will all change with time. Come back a year from now, I promise you will be over-the-moon happy and have forgotten all about when you got sick on tiny portions.