Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Bothsidesnow2017

No Advil...ever??

Rate this Entry
Had my pre op class today... reality check ... no Advil ever? I rarely take them but when I do it is for back pain or really bad stress headache bc Tylenol doesn't do it for me. Anyone else have suggestions???

And no wine for a year.. I understand whyyyy sigh

Submit "No Advil...ever??" to Digg Submit "No Advil...ever??" to del.icio.us Submit "No Advil...ever??" to StumbleUpon Submit "No Advil...ever??" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I remember my surgeon telling me that too about not using NSAIDS and thought "Oh good grief!" I try not to take ibuprofen and the like but I get massive migranes that will just HIT and im in bed 2-3 days, but honestly, the pills didnt work. I am on rheumatoid arthritis medication which helps with joints so im hoping if anything new, joint wise pops up, my meds will help those areas too.
    Everyone's situation may be unique to them, but honest to God -- I haven't really needed ibuprofen since I lost all my excess weight. I have bad arthritis in my knees. Losing 100 pounds changed dramatically how my knees feel.

And protip -- after stopping Aleve 3 months pre-op -- after a couple of months (and even before losing very much weight) I found that my knees didn't feel any worse than they did when I was taking Aleve.

Seriously (theory here -- can't prove it), I think a lot of these OTC drugs we've been taking for years just become placebos. Try going without it for a month and see what you think.
    Ann2 from your mouth to God's ears! The only time I really need them are when I do big house projects like painting a room or hauling mulch w the hubby. Maybe with -90# gone ��
    Small price to pay I think!
    I believe the no NSAIDs is for the gastric bypass and not the gastric sleeve. I never considered, really, the gastric bypass over the sleeve, but the no NSAIDs part would've swayed HAD I considered gastric bypass.
    To cahc and anyone else listening -- I'm sorry to break the news to you, but the NSAIDs prohibition is ALSO for gastric sleeve patients. VSG patients are not supposed to take NSAIDs on a regular basis. Yes, I've taken an ibuprofen after small training injuries -- but only about a dozen times since my VSG surgery 3.5 years ago. Again, the prohibition is against regular usage -- like most of us used to use them (I took 1-2 Aleve for many, many years pre-op). The concern about their continued daily use (given our much, much smaller stomachs) is the development of ulcers -- because we don't have much stomach left at this point.

Here's a list of NSAID drugs and their usage: https://www.medicinenet.com/nonstero...re_nsaids_used
    Basically no NSAIDS ever, but my doctor said in an emergency (problems with my knees and going skiing) I could take ibuprofen with food and a Prilosec. BUT it didn't work for me, I had the worst stomach cramps since giving birth. So I will stick to the no NSAID rule. I rarely used them anyways.

My sister-in-law was in the hospital for a week with a bleeding ulcer caused by NSAIDS, and she has a regular stomach. And she wan't taking them in large amounts. I sure don't mind tossing mine!

You can take Tylenol.