Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

miss_sears

Me

Rate this Entry
Hi.
Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to have a look.

This is my first blog. I am going to be open and honest in all my blogs, I won't hold back and in doing so I will share the reality of my journey that has just begun.

So, where to be begin? I guess the beginning is a very good place to start...

WHO AM I?
My name is Sophie, I am 28 years old. I am just a normal girl, living a normal life; loving my family and friends and trying to enjoy life to the full. Which can be difficult when weighing 23 stone. 

At the age of 13 I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries. FYI my gynaecologist is amazing. At 26 i underwent surgery on my knee leaving my knee weak from the torn ACL. At 27 I was informed I have something called the BRAC gene increasing my risk of Cancer. For anyone that doesn't know... this means i put on weight easily and then it hurts to exercise it off.

WHERE MY WEIGHED AWARENESS JOURNEY BEGAN... Thinking back to where it all began can be hard for me. I was just one of the 'normal' 18 year old girls, on a shopping trip, with my friend, looking for a killer outfit for the our weekends antics. As i searched through the normal high street stores I started to realise that none of the clothes I liked didn't go up to a size 18. This came as quite a shock, I hated that I couldn't wear the clothes my friends were wearing. In response i went straight home to talk to my Mum and Dad, who were very supportive and said they would help. With my families love and support I managed to loose some weight.

A TURN FOR THE WORSE!!
After loosing some much unneeded weight and increasing my self-confidence I moved to London for a 'love interest' (PWAH) leading to my weight management routine falling to pot. I went out drinking and dining 5 days a week, unsurprisingly the weight started creeping back on.

THE WINDING ROAD TO 'RECOVEREY'...
Once the PWAH in my London 'phase' came to light, I moved back home, and in an attempt of self-improvement I tried any and all fad diets directed my way (Some of which in hindsight were CRAZY). Days turned to weeks, weeks to months and months to years, boyfriends came and boyfriends went, friends were made whilst other were lost. All the while, my weight went up and down and up up up.

I NEED HELP, BUT I WILL SURVIVE!!
In 2015 I knew i was getting nowhere, I knew i needed help to get out of the downward spiral i was stuck in, so I went to the doctors shouting from the rooftops "I NEED HELP!!".
With the support of my doctor and family I underwent a weight management programme and developed a weight management plan, which I followed to the letter, but lost only a little bit of weight over a period of 18 months. I returned to my doctor, asking for support and "what do I do?". This was the first mention of potentially undergoing surgery, however, she made it very clear that she could offer NO guarantee that I would be accepted for it by NHS.

HELP IS COMING!!!
January 2017, I GOT MY LETTER saying that I have been ACCEPTED to see the bariatric team at the Homerton Hospital in London on the 27th March 2017 & 10th April 2017. The 27th March came around fast, I was nervous, had no idea what to expect and was full of questions as was my mum, my rock. 20 Vials of blood, an ECG, a dietitian nurse and a group chat later, I felt well and truly overwhelmed, but at last had all the information I needed, and time to process the prospect of this life changing surgery.

The next two weeks came flew by, and after much thinking, explaining, analysing, evaluating, debating and questioning of the what ifs,I came to my decision. I have been given an opportunity of a lifetime, a chance to get the life back on track and my body under control, I was going to do this. I AM GOING TO HAVE THE SURGERY!!!.

I met the surgeon on the 10th of April, it was amazing, all i have to do now is work even harder to loose a bit more weight and watch those days turn into weeks and then months know that there will not be years of me assessing my surrounding, trying to decide if my bum can fit in that chair, can that bench take my weight.

WAITING WITH ANTICIPATION...
So currently I'm waiting for my operation date. What can I say... it's scary, exciting and nerve wracking. FYI I am hating those cold callers at the moment as I wander every time my phone rings with an unknown number whether my turn has come. I can't wait for the surgery, I know this is the beginning of a long journey but I am looking forward to taking that first step to my NEW ME with you guys by my side (well at my fingertips) every step of the way.

Thank you for reading

Love
Sophie
Xoxo

Submit "Me" to Digg Submit "Me" to del.icio.us Submit "Me" to StumbleUpon Submit "Me" to Google

Comments

Welcome! You will be thrilled with this surgery, it's a miracle in my book. Best of luck to you, and keep reading these boards, you will learn so much.
    Welcome Sophie! I hope you get your date soon. It is amazing to make your ticker and watch as it goes from your top weight and continues to move down to your low weight! It wasn't that long ago for me and I can tell you that it is amazing! Good luck!
    Welcome Sophie! When you get that call, its like winning the jackpot. For me, thats when it ALL became real. You can learn a lot from this board, I know I did. Before you know it, it will all be behind you. Congratulations on taking the step to take back your life and be healthier. Best of luck to you.
    Thank you all your lovely comments, and support. I can't wait until that phone rings, I love reading everyone thoughts, story's and seeing the progress ��
    Watching you tube videos is fun too, just put in gastric sleeve in the search box. It is so much fun to watch people shrink in front of your eyes.
    Hey honey welcome to your journey, we are all different in our journeys, mine has been very easy with 1 blip which resolved itself, I am a year out and love my sleeve, it saved my life so I now have to live that life to the fullest. I will watch out for more blogs , good luck you won't regret your decision to have a sleeve
    Good Luck Sophie! Wishing you all the best in the new life in front of you.