Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Shirl

11-Month Sleeversary whaaaat!?!

Rate this Entry
Seriously! I'm in denial that 11 months have gone by! Maybe because part if me (and this is something my therapist told me to work on because I feel amazing otherwise!) I may not reach my first weight goal so that makes me feels somesort of way. Head games and stinking thinking make feel like I could have done better. But FUCK that! I am human and unlearning so many food related bad behaviors learned over my lifetime!!! And I need to be proud of the strides I have made in this short period of time!

I am proud and I am work in progress.

Last Thursday I went to get my blood work done for my one year follow-up next month. Today, I visited my dentist and my therapist. So taking time to take care of my longevity still front and center.

I went to get weight at my fav NutriShop (no I'm not getting kickbacks, just love that they keep my weight loss progress) and even though looks like I only lost 2.5lbs this month my muscle mass percentage went UP by 3%, and my fat mass % went down by 5%. I started formal weight training 3 weeks back so it may have something to do with it.

I've scheduled the DeXA body composition scan next month on the 19th so I can get a better accurate reading of where I am.

My first goals are to be Diabetes free for as long as I can humanly help it, and control my cholesterol to normal levels, so far I have been able to maintain that since surgery.

My goals do not revolve around weight numbers, though I tend to fall prey of that subjective thinking. I fight against fat shaming, but the moment I wasn't the healthy fat person I prided myself in being, I needed to change my consciousness. I am a curvy Latina, but I am willing to give up that curvaceous sum sum so I can be Diabetes and cholesterol free for the rest of my life. Which brings me to my food and nutrient goals.

As I move through learning to eat as a Sleeved person my focus is on choosing nutrient dense foods. My goal is balance, and that is also work in progress! I strive to get 80% of my nutrients from vegetables and legumes and 20% from animals sources. That doesn't mean that I load up on carbs, but focus yo get my protein first from a variety of foods.

I have come to believe that whether you are one week or ten years post op, working on a sustainable and well balanced nutrition should be the number one priority for us all.

Submit "11-Month Sleeversary whaaaat!?!" to Digg Submit "11-Month Sleeversary whaaaat!?!" to del.icio.us Submit "11-Month Sleeversary whaaaat!?!" to StumbleUpon Submit "11-Month Sleeversary whaaaat!?!" to Google

Comments

Shirl, I'm so with you on the need for WLS patients to eat nutritious foods! For most of us, getting healthy was our original, top goal. Healthy foods (and prescribed vitamins, minerals and other supplements, along with lots of water) are the fuels our bodies need to get and stay healthy.

But that ain't gonna happen if most of the foods we eat are those "white foods" and slider foods we were told early on to avoid or minimize. Those are also the foods that, when we overdo them, make us crave them even more.

How I'm working my own "balance" in maintenance (this is my way, not prescribing it for others!) is that 75% of my calories come from protein (both animal and plant), veggies, whole grains, and fruits. The other 25% of my calories come from what I call "treat foods."

But everyone has to find their own balance based on what makes THEIR bodies thrive.
    Happy sleeverversary Shirl! You are doing a great job and you are focusing on giving your body the nutrition it needs. As we talked about, we do our body a disservice when we don't focus on giving it nutrient dense foods. And while you lost 2.5 lbs....the changes in muscle and fat % speak volumes that what you are doing is the right thing. I would rather lose slowly and lose fat versus muscle! Big hugs!
    I think you are doing amazingly great and you are right numbers are not goals. Nutrition and health are our main priorities period.
    Most days I do feel like I reached a balance. And I find inner peace no doubts. But like everyone I have a hard time dealing with "outside stressors" and it can get intense like those past months. I realized when my stress is really high it does change how I see things too. My perspective becomes twisted.
    I'm still dealing with body image issues with those days where I feel like I'm still +300 pounds. Really weird. I mean....what the heck!!
    Congratulations! You are doing so fantastically and thanks for sharing your journey with everyone, it's very inspiring. All the best!
    So glad you stuck around here - you always were so encouraging! I'm glad you are doing so well, and Ann - good to see you too!!! I admire your determination - you remind me of myself - I struggled, but was determined it was not going to kick my ass!! You go girl!!!!
    You are doing a TERRIFIC job Shirl!!!

Keep up the good work; you're an inspiration to many here. <3
    Shirl, great job You are truly a success and it's great for us to be able to share in your wisdom. I wish you continued success, and the sleeved life is amazing for many of us!