Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Starting out slowly

Rate this Entry
I went to an info session about surgical interventions for weight loss. Although my BMI is high, I honestly never imagined that I'd qualify for surgery or want to go through it. However, the more I thought about it, the more surgery seemed to make sense- especially once I learned about the changes that occur if you remove part of the stomach. If I can get the surgery and have more energy-- even if I look exactly the same-- I'll feel like this was a success. I'd obviously like to lose weight because I feel like my joints would be happier and I'd be able to do more activities with my husband and kids.

When I went for my appt at U Penn, I was told to keep my weight stable. My concern is that I might actually lose weight. I've had a stomach bug since Wednesday and I've barely eaten anything. Normally this would be something I'd never complain about-- I mean, isn't it great to lose weight? But now in order to qualify I need to maintain my (unhealthy) weight. It just doesn't makes sense to me, although I guess I understand why my insurance company requires it.

I have three meetings set up (one every month) with the nutritionist at Penn, and a slew of other things I need to do in between. I was already read the riot act about making sure I did my psych paperwork BEFORE the appointment-- that it might take up to 2 hours to complete. I've done it all except for the part about my weights before and after kids. I have no idae- I'll need to get my medical records to figure that out.

Tomorrow I have a bunch of phone calls to make- I need to start making appointments. It's exciting to be on the path, but I still can't help but feel that it's not real.

One of my crazy concerns is that I will get the sleeve and not lose any weight. I just can't see myself as a smaller person. I'm worried that I could drastically cut back what I eat but somehow my body will hold onto everything it has now. Hopefully this never happens.

It's also weird that I am thinking about alcohol a lot. I don't drink. ANd I've heard that if you have the sleeve, you shouldn't drink. But for me, it's one thing to CHOOSE not to drink, and it's another to be told that I CAN'T drink. Weird, but somehow, it bothers me.

That's all for tonight. Tired and I have a long day tomorrow- I'm driving to and from NYC to drop off a visiting guest.

Submit "Starting out slowly" to Digg Submit "Starting out slowly" to del.icio.us Submit "Starting out slowly" to StumbleUpon Submit "Starting out slowly" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Ha! You sound like me over a year and half ago, now look at me 11-months post op today. Lol!

I started at 245lbs, I'm just over 5'6" and my BMI was under 40, 39.5 to be exact. I think because they put me at 5'7" height. I had just recently been diagnosed with Type2 Diabetes so that put me at a great advantage for surgery, but needed a second comorbidity which after the sleep apnea test cleared me. Because my insurance required 2 comorbitities for BMI 35-40, which I had I self imposed a food cleanse 3 months preop, and a gradual liquid diet 6-weeks preop.

I read that the lower in weight/bmi one is, the less risk in surgery and better recovery and that was more important to me. I lost 19lbs preop and I had zero complications, some minor discomforts and I am soooooooo glad I went through this even though I was like what no alcohol!?!

The truth of the matter, is that for me as a diabetic alcohol was a no no, but alcohol after surgery should be postponed for as long as you can. As the stomach is healing it develops a film on the incision to protect it and heal it, but I had read that alcohol can strip clean that film making a high risk for complications.

The stomach should be healed by three months, six months for sure and definitely by year one.

I had a sip of wine about 6 months post op, no adverse reaction. This past weekend I had a glass of wine I sipped slowly, and a sip of whiskey and felt a heartburn feeling. I'm just not willing to take any risks at this point. So maybe I will just do with out longer.

Should you go through the Sleeve Gastrectomy note that it is not ✨Magic Wand✨ That will make your weight magically disappear and keep it off, it takes intentional everyday lifelong work!
    Go for it, you won't regret it! Unfortunately it's a biological fact that the human body will adjust itself when dieting, metabolic rates decrease and in turn weight loss becomes harder and harder.
    I did my surgery through insurance. I was at a precarious position as well. I started at 41.8 BMI and could not gain weight or drop below 40 BMI pre approval. It was something I had to be careful of. I totally get the absurdity of this. Sigh. But I followed the rules and was approved for surgery. Good luck with your journey. You can do it!