Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sandra3

15 months: last vacation before the big move

Rate this Entry
We came back from Australia yesterday at 5 AM, so we are all pretty jet lagged and tired, and I'm very puffy after the long flights.
Our trip was great, we got a lot done but also had a lovely time with our dear friends.

It was great also to be able to find lovely food and cook a few meals from scratch that I can't cook in Taiwan because I can't find the ingredients or if I can once a year it's imported and just crazy expensive. So we had lots of veggies (arugula, spinach, zucchini etc..) but also some nice fruits (blueberries, raspberries, watermelon etc..) and had one of the best steak ever in a little steak house restaurant. Food was just divine. I just miss western food so much! I was eating more meat during the trip and can see that my energy level is up big time! Iron absorption is for sure better directly from meat and veggie compare to supplements..

We walked a lot and my tendonitis has been really improving a lot those past weeks. Now I can walk 6 kms per day without pain. From all the supplements I've been taking, something must have been working finally! But I'm not sure if it's turmeric, omegas, Emu oil or silica??
I also came back from Australia with a huge container of emu oil capsules, I'm covered for at least six months! indeed the cost of 300 capsules was the same as what I usually pay for 30 capsules so it was a no brainer. I'd rather bring back useful supplements instead of souvenirs..

I checked my weight this morning, it didn't really move in 3 weeks, well I'm up one pound but I also have huge water retention from the +13H flights so it's temporary for sure.
I will check again in a few days but I'm not worried.

Funny thing is that I can see my body has changed during the trip, looks like fat is shifting for some reason (better nutrition and more exercise does help for sure! but it was only two weeks!). I didn't buy that many things even if temptation was big but one dress was really amazing (designer in clearance, hard to resist!) and to my biggest surprise I was able to get it in a size 12! (AUS 12 is US10) I think sizing was a little off because I usually still wear size 14/16 US even it was becoming a little loose lately I'm still a strong 14 (16 becoming too big but a few 14 are still too tight). Anyway, it's nice to be able to get smaller sizes. I did get a few pieces in merinos, all in size 14 (US 12) because I'm always one size smaller in tops.
I'm all set for next winter! Since it seems work will be back home it's going to be cold compare to the past years.

Last news from work seem to show that we are heading back home. One option was a country where safety for the kids could have been an issue so we declined. I'm trying to get ready mentally for the long commutes, because when we are back home we live in the countryside and work in Paris, so it's a 3h commute per day. It's not that bad since most of the trip is by train, where we can always sit and I do get lots done during that time.
The quality of life is much better for the kids in the countryside so it's all worth it! But I'm expecting a big culture shock especially for the kids...we've been abroad for almost 15 years...
Oh well, at least nutrition won't be an issue any more!

Submit "15 months: last vacation before the big move" to Digg Submit "15 months: last vacation before the big move" to del.icio.us Submit "15 months: last vacation before the big move" to StumbleUpon Submit "15 months: last vacation before the big move" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Your trip sounded lovely!

So you are heading back to France! Yay! OhMGoodness! Hopefully you will be settled by my trip to Paris at end of July and we can meet!!! (Crossing fingers and toes!)

I'm glad you are feeling better leg wise, and drink a bit of celery juice that should help with water retention.

Hugs!
    Sounds like a great trip! What a busy life you have! Now that I'm eating more meat I find I have more energy, too. The nutritionist I went to even had a chart that shows why getting iron from meat as opposed to vegetables and supplements is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    Your trip sounded lovely!

So you are heading back to France! Yay! OhMGoodness! Hopefully you will be settled by my trip to Paris at end of July and we can meet!!! (Crossing fingers and toes!)

I'm glad you are feeling better leg wise, and drink a bit of celery juice that should help with water retention.

Hugs!
    Trip was really great, the best part was for sure spending time we our friends, I really missed them a lot!

For our return so far it seems that unfortunately we can't leave before mid August . I will be in Paris next months for a few days of appointments but I will keep you posted when I have my dates "for sure". It can still change...also I will be in the US at the end of August for a few days...so let's wait and see!

My knees are really better. But I didn't wear compression socks for the flight (nothing available in my size) which is the main reason why the water retention is so bad and the flight was longer than usual.
    No celery available at the market plus I think my juicer is in storage (or lost) but I'm trying to drink some diuretic herbal tea and take a few "helpers" supplements to help, hopefully I should be ok in a few days. But Summer is also starting now and humidity and heat are high. Huge contrast with the cooler Australian Fall...
    Sounds like you had a great trip and also got some much needed nutrition while there. I am glad you are feeling better with your tendonitis. Glad you were able to stock up on some supplements. Happy that you are going back to France versus somewhere that is unsafe for the kiddos. I really wish I could live back home in Italy but having step kids who are here in San Antonio we could not do that. So happy for you Sandra!
    Quote Originally Posted by JLPSch
    Sounds like a great trip! What a busy life you have! Now that I'm eating more meat I find I have more energy, too. The nutritionist I went to even had a chart that shows why getting iron from meat as opposed to vegetables and supplements is better.
    We really enjoyed the trip, last vacation before a long time I guess.
    We've been living overseas for almost 15 years. It was a carrier choice and we were lucky to be able to follow our dreams and do love it. But I don't know if I'm getting older or just tired but moving all the time, having friends all over the world is starting to get old.
    There's lot's of perks to be an expatriate but I always miss someone and that's the hard part. Those past three years in Asia have been a challenge on so many levels (not fluent in Chinese being the main one I guess) but at the same time we also met new friends and had a blast so the conclusion is still positive even if I have mixed feelings.
    Coming back home will be for sure an other culture shock after so many years, especially for the kids.
    About the nutrition, I agree with your nutritionist. Each time I'm in a country where I can eat more protein I see the difference almost immediately. I guess I just have to be patient a few more months now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Sounds like you had a great trip and also got some much needed nutrition while there. I am glad you are feeling better with your tendonitis. Glad you were able to stock up on some supplements. Happy that you are going back to France versus somewhere that is unsafe for the kiddos. I really wish I could live back home in Italy but having step kids who are here in San Antonio we could not do that. So happy for you Sandra!
    Thanks Christie! may be you will be able to be back in Italy when the step kids are older? that could be a good compromise and they could come to visit? my husband is from the South of France but at some point my job took me back to Paris and he decided to follow me and changed carrier so we could work overseas together. We agreed that for retirement (in more than 20 years but it coming faster than we think) we will move back in the South at least six months per year...I mean the weather is nicer over there and after moving so much I won't mind crossing the country a few times per year if that's what he still wants. May be you could plan something like that too?