Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Ibleedblue

Little bit of regain...

Rate this Entry
2.5 years post sleeve and Im falling into bad/old habits. We travel a lot and Ive been using it as an excuse to eat like everyone else around me. I went from eating a couple bites of my husbands meal, to a full kids meal to my own entree... justifying it by saying i won't eat the whole thing. Also sugar has become a daily thing. So here are the steps Im taking:
I have been seeing a therapist about my binge eating disorder
I have purchased small portion Tupperware so that i can plan ahead when we travel and don't get stuck at the concession stands
Attempting to phase out the sugar
No eating while watching tv... this is really hard for me weirdly enough...mindful eating....slowing down...i live in a family of speed eaters and athletes who can eat whatever they want.
The biggest thing for me is i start out the day eating well but then i stumble and figure well Ill eat what i want today and start again tomorrow then i go out of my way to eat things i will miss when i eat healthy again. Im
Anyway, anyone else feel this way?
Mostly, i just want to put this out there to make it real for me. Really dislike my before picture, so seeing that helps.
Back to the daily grind....

Submit "Little bit of regain..." to Digg Submit "Little bit of regain..." to del.icio.us Submit "Little bit of regain..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Little bit of regain..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You didn't mention exercise? When I travel, just about every Hotel has a fitness room with at least a treadmill to walk on...or even going on long walks wherever your staying. Exercise or movement can mitigate a bit of the eating issue and for me at least, it keeps me on point because I only want to eat things that help my body to stay fit. Just some thoughts...and go get em!=)
    I understand how you feel! It some ways it gets harder then longer you're out for surgery, but I like to think that the longer it goes, the more you need to be aware of your habits. Sounds like you're making great changes; therapy is a great thing! Best wishes!
    Two books I highly recommend are: Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole, and the Appetite Awareness Workbook by Linda Craighead.

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, and therapy is the second best gift you can give yourself after VSG.

Make time to take care of you! It's never ending.
    I think if you increase your exercise a little it will help you feel better. Do not get to down on yourself.. it does not help. Just recommit and move forward. You can do this!
    I had to start planning out my meals. I'm only 5 months out and I don't want to fall into old habits so I'm really trying to make sure I get in what I''m supposed to. You're taking the right steps to get back on track!
    I know exactly what you mean about going ahead and finishing out the day eating all the things you are going to miss when you get back on track "tomorrow." I play that game a lot.
    I am glad you are seeing a therapist. It is definitely useful for binge eaters. Also, catching the weight gain early and getting it under control is key. I would try going back to basics for a while to kick that sugar habit. And definitely some exercise if you are not doing any. Good luck!
    Girl we could be twins. i am 10 months out and have been slipping into bad habits. i need to step up my exercise and refocus on me. Sounds like you will get back on track as well. Hang in there. You are not alone. thank you for this post. it shows me, I am not alone either.
    If , you can exercise do it, That's my problem, an achilles sprang. but if you can walk that is the best medicine.good luck,you can do it!
    "The biggest thing for me is i start out the day eating well but then i stumble and figure well Ill eat what i want today and start again tomorrow then i go out of my way to eat things i will miss when i eat healthy again."

This perfectly sums up my binging behavior. It could happen at any time of the day but normally at night when everyone is in bed. Thanks for bringing this to the light, I've felt so ashamed for so long and to know others understand and have experienced this behavior makes me feel not so alone. Breaking this behavior is my #1 goal and my #1 problem.
    The start tomorrow thing was for me the "before sleeve" yoyo diet. At some point I realized that tomorrow was starting today and I made peace with myself and the food I ate or didn't eat. Meaning that portion control is really what helps me the most today, I'd rather have one square of dark chocolate and feel ok instead of trying to resist the call, be frustrated and then eat later five squares.
    So far so good..but I still keep lots of "temptations" out of the house and have been for at least five years. That way it's easier for everyone.
    For EVERYONE who's struggling with overeating while you're in maintenance ... why are you NOT in therapy?

I know that sounds harsh. I don't mean for it to. I simply mean that if we don't change our old ways of letting food control us, we will soon be overweight (or even obese) again.

But here's the rub: Almost everyone who struggles with weight maintenance will NOT be able to control / change their behavior without significant support to learn new ways of responding to food and to changing their lifestyle permanently.

If will power alone could have solved our issues with food, everyone here would have resolved their issues pre-op. But we didn't.

"If you do what you always did, you will get what you always got." That includes struggling alone (without support or resources) and hiding in shame.

Absolutely no one here gets extra points for trying to resolve these kinds of issues without the support of a therapist. I'm not even sure if anyone who struggles with these issues can be successful long-term on their own.

The long-term coaching my therapist has provided over the last three years to help me focus on the long-term prize (building and maintaining a healthy body by building and following a healthy lifestyle) has helped tremendously.