Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

DesertGal

Take What Life Hands You Graciously

Rate this Entry
I have a blog with this title on another web site and borrowed it. It's fitting.
I'm 4 days post op and in addition to aches, pains, mild discomforts... I know I have made the right choice. I seem to be a bit weepy too. I've held in all my fears since starting the insurance requirements back in December.

My surgeon reassured us that bad things can happen anytime but the odds were very good things would go off without a hitch. Deep down I kept pushing to the back of my mind that I could die. Not pull out of anesthesia or have a stroke and my kids and husband would be left behind. (Most people's train of thinking, no doubt.) But I have a family that really needs their mom around. My oldest daughter is the product of a monoamniotic pregnancy. (We were completely unaware during pregnancy.) Identical twins in the same sac. It doesn't happen often and rarely do they both survive. As was my case. My surviving daughter suffered periventricular leukamalacia (a fancy word for brain damage), and has cerebral palsy and on the autism spectrum. She's almost 38 but looks and acts like a 12/13 year old. 2 pregnancies later, at age 26 I gave birth to our 3rd daughter. She was born with Down syndrome. She just celebrated her 34th birthday a few weeks back, but is a perpetual toddler. It's all I've known for the last 38 years. I do for her now, what I've done all these years since she was 2. She is totally depende upon myself and husband for EVERYTHING. Caring for my family is what I know. And do.

When all the weight issues began (gee, can you see why I kind of ate for comfort?), it just got worse. I ate in the beginning for comfort. Control. Then I'd lose 50 pounds, gain 60 back, and do this over the next 2 decades. Later on it was less about stress eating over life's bowling balls being lobbed at me, but just eating in general I liked.

When the idea of WLS was brought up, I knew I wanted to go for it. Not only for me, but needing to be less LARGE would be easier on me physically to deal with my youngest daughter, Jenni. (Who is stubborn and solid as an ox!) And here we are. I just want to get through this recovery period and feel SO GOOD! I am down 53 pounds since December... 15 since Friday the 24th, day of Surgery. I know I am on my way, and next fall when I hit the BIG 6-0, I want to look back and say "Geez Lori, you should have done this 15 years ago."

Submit "Take What Life Hands You Graciously" to Digg Submit "Take What Life Hands You Graciously" to del.icio.us Submit "Take What Life Hands You Graciously" to StumbleUpon Submit "Take What Life Hands You Graciously" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Doing great!! Your a great mother!
    Thank you!
    Congratulations on your journey! My father said this to me when I told him I was having surgery, "The real meaning of courage is doing something for someone or for yourself that is done because of your love for others. " Your journey is about you, but also your family. Best wishes!!
    Jen
    Thank you Lori for sharing your story. I love your title and so fitting for what you've gone through. I take my hat off to you, sounds like your a great mom and remains as dedicated has you were when you found out you were going to be a mom, it takes special people like you and your husband to parent one special needs children let alone two. I'll be praying for your daughter and her pregnancy. When is she due? Prayers sent for you and your family.
    No , Tamera... there's no daughter having a baby. I had 3 daughters (4 counting the stillborn twin of Kimberly, my oldest.) My middle daughter is married, lives 10 minutes from us and gave us two fun grandsons.
    My two girls live at home with us. Always will- and that's what we want.
    [QUOTE=Tamera2;bt198259]Thank you Lori for sharing your story. I love your title and so fitting for what you've gone through. I take my hat off to you, sounds like your a great mom and remains as dedicated has you were when you found out you were going to be a mom, it takes special people like you and your husband to parent one special needs children let alone two. I'll be praying for your daughter and her pregnancy. When is she due? Prayers sent for you and
    Good grief, Lori. I didn't know your back story (actually, this is your main story!) before now.

Very best wishes to you as you start the post-op version of your good health journey. Losing all my excess weight has made me feel 30 years younger! I hope you have the same experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLPSch
    Congratulations on your journey! My father said this to me when I told him I was having surgery, "The real meaning of courage is doing something for someone or for yourself that is done because of your love for others. " Your journey is about you, but also your family. Best wishes!!
    Jen
    I love your father's words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    Good grief, Lori. I didn't know your back story (actually, this is your main story!) before now.

Very best wishes to you as you start the post-op version of your good health journey. Losing all my excess weight has made me feel 30 years younger! I hope you have the same experience.
    What doesn't kill us makes us stronger! That... and humor!
    You are a very strong woman and deserve to feel good your a inspiration to mothers every where thank you so much��
    You are doing this for your family and you are an amazing woman. I am so happy that you were able to get approved so quickly and get your sleeve. Big hugs your way Lori!
    Thank you everyone. Here comes the post op waterworks.
    For sure you made the best decision for you and your family doing this surgery. We love our children but they can be a handful for so many different reasons. Of course stress is not helping our health in any way. I hope your weight loss will help you a lot very soon to manage all your daily responsibilities with less pain. You deserve it. Your children don't know how lucky they are to have you! BTW, you don't even look 50, seems that being a generous and loving mum keeps you younger! Take care!
    You - are my HERO! You are a warrior for good. Your family is so lucky to have such a stalwart rock to rest on. Keep up the good works.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_ryder
    You - are my HERO! You are a warrior for good. Your family is so lucky to have such a stalwart rock to rest on. Keep up the good works.
    Thank You!
    You should be very proud of yourself for being so brave. I know thats what I keep telling myself. It is such a huge step to take and your reasons for doing it are very valid. You will be here for your family longer and be able to do so much more. I had my surgery on Feb 20th and its alot to get used to. I am a single mom of two boys, widowed twice , first my husband then I had a finance that also died. I understand about eating your feelings and because of stress! We are all in this together girl! Lets rock it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamilynn70
    You should be very proud of yourself for being so brave. I know thats what I keep telling myself. It is such a huge step to take and your reasons for doing it are very valid. You will be here for your family longer and be able to do so much more. I had my surgery on Feb 20th and its alot to get used to. I am a single mom of two boys, widowed twice , first my husband then I had a finance that also died. I understand about eating your feelings and because of stress! We are all in this together girl! Lets rock it!
    Thank you Tamilyn!
    My 1st day on this forum and WOW you struggled just like I am now with drinking and vitamins and food too! I feel nauseated all the time, and dread eating, everything tastes blech! I live in AZ and water is an absolute necessity, I miss how I could just drink it without feeling like I'm gonna get sick. Another person told me she had the same thing for almost 5mos and then it went away.
    It's also for me a "hormonal" ride too, emotions are up/down like crazy...I'm happy about my weight loss so far, but missing that "high" feeling I always used to get when I was working out, in shape and not feeling sick to my stomach. I had 2yrs of no activity, and 5 different surgeries, and with all that came 120lb weigh gain, my liver was a mess and my doctor said needed to do something drastic...it was a difficult decision having been always getting any weight off quick, but my age and the amount of weight and 2yrs inactivity, I decided to go for it. Use it as a tool to get me healthy!
    Keep writing DesertGal and ty...I'll be reading and cheering you on too!