Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

jcook2

Very early in the process...still gathering information

Rate this Entry
Tomorrow I have an appointment with my regular practitioner to talk about my latest A1c, which was 6.9, and I will be telling her about my upcoming consultation with the bariatric surgeon. With my insurance (UHC) I was able to schedule the consultation appointment on my own, but of course I want my normal regular practitioner to be aware of what's going on with me! For some reason I am feeling nervous about meeting with her.

These are the appointments I have scheduled:

Friday, March 24: regular practitioner
Thursday, April 6: phone call with nurse from bariatric program (I'm not actually sure if this is from my surgeon's office or from my health insurance, UHC)
Wednesday, April 12: consultation with surgeon

I have been doing a lot of reading and decided to try an experiment today- a liquid diet for one day. Today I had 3 cups of coffee, 2 16oz bottles of water, 8oz glass of V-8, and 3 cups of chicken broth. I am actually not sure what I'm feeling. I'm not hungry, exactly, but I want to eat something. Kids have different activities tonight so no one notices that I'm not eating with them.

I haven't talked to a soul in my personal life besides one long distance friend who had weight loss surgery a couple of years ago. She & her husband got wls at the same time and are doing great. I don't know how supportive my husband is going to be so I'm waiting until I have more information after my consultation. It's not that I think he will be against me improving my health- I think he just worries about surgery. I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy in January, my first surgery in our 24 year marriage, and he was more of a wreck than I was about anesthesia, etc. That went very well though so I am comfortable with checking this out now.

The hospital nearest me happens to be a center of excellence and the doctor is also one that my insurance, United Healthcare, approves. SO that is good- unfortunately I think I might be in for a 6 month pre op diet. I am hoping there is a way around that. I was on weight watchers for over a year and just quit in January before my hysterectomy. I only lost (and regained and lost and regained) the same 30lb during that time and I can show it with payment records- we shall see.

Submit "Very early in the process...still gathering information" to Digg Submit "Very early in the process...still gathering information" to del.icio.us Submit "Very early in the process...still gathering information" to StumbleUpon Submit "Very early in the process...still gathering information" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good for you!

I would cut down on coffee first. My surgeon wanted me to stop drinking coffee about two weeks before and hold off the first couple of weeks. I weaned myself about six weeks prior and started introducing slowly about three weeks.

Try adding a couple more bottles of water or when you are ready a total of half your weight in ounces.

Try natural green juices instead of V8 which is full additives.

And add meal replacement drinks which have at least 4-6g of fiber. Otherwise, you will be left hungry. You need a minimum of 58-68g of protein, and complex carbs for your body to function well.

Here are some links you might find helpful:
    https://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/...ad.php?t=64473

I was only required to do a two-week liver cleanse diet, and three-day clear-liquid diet before surgery, but I self-imposed the liver cleanse diet about six weeks prior, but I started slowly. I replaced one meal a day then two weeks later two until my 3-day clear liquid diet. I lost 19lbs in those six weeks.

I'm sure you will get tons of support and information with the center you chose.

I didn't tell my life-partner of 6 years until about a week before surgery because I did not want him to talk me out of it. He was a little upset that I didn't give him a chance to be there for me, but was immediately supportive.

Best wishes!
    Updated 03-23-2017 at 07:34 PM by Shirl (link)
    Thanks, Shirl. What I "ate" (drank!) today is not going to be representative of how I plan to live. I just kind of woke up thinking, I wonder if I can even go one day without eating anything solid, so I had to go with what I had in the house already. I don't usually drink that much coffee- my "cup" is actually 14 oz so that is a ton of coffee for one day, but I had one mug, then a friend stopped by, and then later I went over to my parents and had #3. I had the V-8 to make chili but by mid afternoon I really wanted to eat some baby carrots or something so I decided to have one glass of V-8and put the rest in the fridge for chili later this week.

I appreciate that you took the time to reply. I'm feeling very restless and like I want to move forward, but still reluctant to talk to people in my life about this. The forum is a great way to work it out.
    I did not tell my husband my plan until after I had a consult with my surgeon's office. I guess that I had technically began the process as it was my first appointment required by my insurance. I went home that night and was nervous to tell my husband. I wrote a blog about it a few weeks ago. My husband was very supportive but also told me that I did not need to do it for him. Truthfully...it was for me. Also, I was under my doctors care for 6 months-requirement from insurance. My rules were I did not have to lose but I could NOT gain ANY weight at all during that time. I was very close to the minimum BMI of 40 so I had to be very careful. I started at 207 and could not get below 197 before approval. Just make sure you know your requirements inside and out and that your surgeon's office does too! My surgeon's office ensured that I knew exactly what my insurance required and was very helpful. I wish you lots of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcook2
    Thanks, Shirl. What I "ate" (drank!) today is not going to be representative of how I plan to live. I just kind of woke up thinking, I wonder if I can even go one day without eating anything solid, so I had to go with what I had in the house already. I don't usually drink that much coffee- my "cup" is actually 14 oz so that is a ton of coffee for one day, but I had one mug, then a friend stopped by, and then later I went over to my parents and had #3. I had the V-8 to make chili but by mid afternoon I really wanted to eat some baby carrots or something so I decided to have one glass of V-8and put the rest in the fridge for chili later this week.

I appreciate that you took the time to reply. I'm feeling very restless and like I want to move forward, but still reluctant to talk to people in my life about this. The forum is a great way to work it out.
    Oh I completely understand! I started the process in November 2015, when I was finally diagnosed with Type2 Diabetes, after years and years of being prediabetic. I refused to get on medication, and I knew WLS was the only way back to being diabetes free or at least keep at bay for as long as preventable.

If you have been a chronic yo-yo dieter like me the required preop diet will be a piece of cake! And knowing you will never need to do a crash diet again will be life changing.

Find what works for you, and run with it!!!

This forum has been a fountain of support for me. I hope you find the same in your journey. Personally I feel this is our business and no one else. There is still so much discrimination and ignorance on WLS out in the world, I really do kot have the time nor patience to deal with well intended misinformed comments!

I am only 10 months post op, so try to connect and follow threads from older active forum members.