Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

kshaffer

10 Days Out and Need Some Advice!

Rate this Entry
I had ny surgery on March 10th and seem to be doing well, except I can't tolerate the shakes since surgery and struggling with vitamins. I switched to the carnation Instant breakfast and am able to drink it. I can't find a chewable item that doesn't make me nauseous. I'm so ready to start some soft foods. I'm wondering if cottage or oatmeal would be ok.

Submit "10 Days Out and Need Some Advice!" to Digg Submit "10 Days Out and Need Some Advice!" to del.icio.us Submit "10 Days Out and Need Some Advice!" to StumbleUpon Submit "10 Days Out and Need Some Advice!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I was allowed to start soft food around day 15 but actually had to post-pone one week because it didn't feel right (I was very sick post-op). What do your guidelines say about your schedule?
    When staring soft food I was always careful to eat tiny bites (the size of a peanut), chew really well, not eat more than 1/2 cup per sitting and eat slowly. My fav food was split pea soup, a kind of Greek yogurt, veggies soup mixed with meat/fish/protein. Eating protein I always tried to have it moist. Tuna with mayo did the trick too. Cottage cheese should be fine. Not sure about oatmeal, it depends of the consistency.
    I tried many brands of shakes the first few months, same for vitamins. I was nauseous for more than 6 months but at some point it got better. The most important is to drink enough water and have enough protein per day. The first three months it was a work in progress but after that I was fine. It will be easier in a few weeks, don't worry. Take care.
    I can tell you that there really is no right or wrong for post op from all the stuff I have read on here. Most people just follow what their surgeon/nutritionist tells them to. Some don't follow any rules at all. Everyone loses weight usually. Some recommend low car, while others don't. I don't think there is a right or wrong I would follow what your surgeon/nut says or call them if you have any questions. In the first week I had broth, tea, creamed soups made with nonfat milk and a little bit of protein shake. At 10 days I started soft foods. Yogurt, soft cheese, anything I could puree up with my food processer. The soft food stage is great but when you switch to solids it gets a little harder since you have to learn where your stopping point is because solids are painful when you overeat...more so than soft foods in my opinion.
    I don't think I've eaten oatmeal in three years. Concentrate on protein. At 2 weeks I could start soft foods. Soft-boiled eggs worked for me, along with low-fat greek yogurt.

Find a protein drink you like. I didn't like the creamy ones either, but did drink the Isopure diluted with a lot of ice. The trick is to go to the Vitamin Shoppe or GNC, and just buy one of different brands/flavors to see what you like.
    The easiest soft food for me then, and still, is Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt. It's delicious and causes me NO issues. Worth a try :-)
    Listen to what your doc told you...take it s l o w l y...this will all pass and you will heal..you are very very early in the process..