Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Christie13

Confession Time: Why I weigh myslef every day

Rate this Entry
I weigh myself every day. Actually every morning and every night. If I go in the bathroom then I will weigh myself. I like to see exactly what my body is doing. I feel it definitely keeps me on track. I know it is also going to be beneficial down the road when I am in the maintenance phase. Because as soon as I see myself regaining I will be able to put a stop to it before it gets out of control.
I have seen so many sleevers come back desperate for help when they have gained 30+ pounds. I just can't imagine letting myself gain that much weight back. I have been through too much to get to this point where I feel comfortable in my own skin. And I am not passing judgement, I just think seeing their desperation has made me realize that weighing yourself is a good thing.
I still take progress pictures every 2 weeks and also measurements every 2 weeks. I know every aspect of what I have been through and how this surgery has made me healthier and happier.
I guess the most important thing is that I am not going back to that person I was. I never want to feel embarrassed in my own skin. I never want to avoid being in pictures because I hate seeing the way I look. I never want to go back to wearing shorts under dresses because my thighs are so fat they sweat and chafe. I worked too hard to get to where I am and I cannot imagine not knowing exactly what I weigh. When I started getting fat before I started avoiding the scale. I think a lot of us do that. We avoid it like if we don't know that number we are not really fat. Well not anymore. My scale is going to keep my honest.
Now I know that a lot of people don't like to weigh daily and it stresses them out. I know that when you are in a stall not seeing the number budge is frustrating and that is ok. But for me this works.
Have a great weekend sleevers!

Submit "Confession Time:  Why I weigh myslef every day" to Digg Submit "Confession Time:  Why I weigh myslef every day" to del.icio.us Submit "Confession Time:  Why I weigh myslef every day" to StumbleUpon Submit "Confession Time:  Why I weigh myslef every day" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Several times a day is obsessive (or compulsive?) and useless because you should weight at the same time each day (morning before breakfast, after using the bathroom) to have a clear picture. If you use your scale once or twice a week you're not going to gain 30 pounds in between, that's impossible.
    Because I'm 14 months out now, I see that my scale is static for weeks. I'm not avoiding it. I just check once or twice a week but there's not surprises so far. It doesn't mean that I'm going to avoid my scale because I'm not on it everyday. But I would certainly not spend my day jumping on my scale because there's other things to focus on. What I put in my mouth is more important than what the scale say anyway. I could have water retention because it TOM of I had too much salt in my food at the restaurant. So one day of feeling bad about it is not worth it especially because two days later it would be gone.
    Now, I understand where you're coming from because after years of failing with my "weight control" (or not crashing into a brick wall each time I had pneumonia and gained 20 pounds just with the medication), at first when I had stalls or even when I regained weight after taking the medication in June, I felt like a failure. But I soon realized that taking a step back and just fallowing the rules was really more helpful than stressing out about something I couldn't control. A few days after gaining the weight (thanks corticoids!) it was all gone with a bonus.
    I'm glad that my scale didn't control me during that time because I really had mixed feelings.
    After a few months you're not going to lose every day or even every week. So I might be wrong but I think it's might be healthier not to depend on your scale several times a day.
    You're doing great, losing weight is going to continue for months. Regain usually comes after one year/18 months. Enjoy your honey moon and don't stress out with that scale, it's not worth it!
    Focus on what's positive since you lost weight, not your scale. Because you're worth it.
    Christie, I'm with you. I weigh myself everyday. I weigh first thing in the morning butt naked after I've peed. I am religious about it. I am 28 months post op, and I've only very recently become lax about it on the weekends because I divide my time between the apartment where I take care of my disabled daughter during the week (where my scale is) and my house on the weekend (no scale here). I used to take my scale with me! I would take it on trips. I even forgot it in a hotel room once and ran right out to buy another one when I realized it several states away.

I am a junk food junkie. I am astonished that I have yet to gain back any weight, so I have to have it just to make sure because I know that time is coming eventually. If and when that time does come, I won't be one of those ones that says "Oh no, 30 pounds just snuck up on me." Nope, I'll be able to nip that shit in the bud right from the get go. Call it obsessive, I care not. At least I won't be crying because I've let my weight sneak back up on me.
    I weigh myself first thing every morning, as I'm maintaining, have been for three years this summer. Like you said, I don't want some 30 pound surprise down the road! I'd rather have a 1 or 2 pound surprise and deal with it right away.

While losing, I would NOT recommend the daily weighing. It drives you crazy, as there are always some stalls.
    I also weigh myself at least once a day. It keeps me legal and focused. The act of doing it is like going to church. It keeps my mind in the right place...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    Several times a day is obsessive (or compulsive?) and useless because you should weight at the same time each day (morning before breakfast, after using the bathroom) to have a clear picture. If you use your scale once or twice a week you're not going to gain 30 pounds in between, that's impossible.
    Because I'm 14 months out now, I see that my scale is static for weeks. I'm not avoiding it. I just check once or twice a week but there's not surprises so far. It doesn't mean that I'm going to avoid my scale because I'm not on it everyday. But I would certainly not spend my day jumping on my scale because there's other things to focus on. What I put in my mouth is more important than what the scale say anyway. I could have water retention because it TOM of I had too much salt in my food at the restaurant. So one day of feeling bad about it is not worth it especially because two days later it would be gone.
    Now, I understand where you're coming from because after years of failing with my "weight control" (or not crashing into a brick wall each time I had pneumonia and gained 20 pounds just with the medication), at first when I had stalls or even when I regained weight after taking the medication in June, I felt like a failure. But I soon realized that taking a step back and just fallowing the rules was really more helpful than stressing out about something I couldn't control. A few days after gaining the weight (thanks corticoids!) it was all gone with a bonus.
    I'm glad that my scale didn't control me during that time because I really had mixed feelings.
    After a few months you're not going to lose every day or even every week. So I might be wrong but I think it's might be healthier not to depend on your scale several times a day.
    You're doing great, losing weight is going to continue for months. Regain usually comes after one year/18 months. Enjoy your honey moon and don't stress out with that scale, it's not worth it!
    Focus on what's positive since you lost weight, not your scale. Because you're worth it.
    I am not losing daily now. To go from 140 to 139 took me 9 days. And I am ok with that. I just like to know where I stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katrina
    Christie, I'm with you. I weigh myself everyday. I weigh first thing in the morning butt naked after I've peed. I am religious about it. I am 28 months post op, and I've only very recently become lax about it on the weekends because I divide my time between the apartment where I take care of my disabled daughter during the week (where my scale is) and my house on the weekend (no scale here). I used to take my scale with me! I would take it on trips. I even forgot it in a hotel room once and ran right out to buy another one when I realized it several states away.

I am a junk food junkie. I am astonished that I have yet to gain back any weight, so I have to have it just to make sure because I know that time is coming eventually. If and when that time does come, I won't be one of those ones that says "Oh no, 30 pounds just snuck up on me." Nope, I'll be able to nip that shit in the bud right from the get go. Call it obsessive, I care not. At least I won't be crying because I've let my weight sneak back up on me.
    Yes!! I need to know where I am and I am definitely not going to gain 30+ lbs before I get a hold of myself. I want to be able get back on track the minute I get past my max allowable weight. I am still not at goal but I am thinking long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    I weigh myself first thing every morning, as I'm maintaining, have been for three years this summer. Like you said, I don't want some 30 pound surprise down the road! I'd rather have a 1 or 2 pound surprise and deal with it right away.

While losing, I would NOT recommend the daily weighing. It drives you crazy, as there are always some stalls.
    I have hit stalls and I have not let them get to me. I know they are part of this process. I am ok with that. I have 18 lbs to goal and I am assuming it is going to take me a while to get there. I am very realistic about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by peasantme
    I also weigh myself at least once a day. It keeps me legal and focused. The act of doing it is like going to church. It keeps my mind in the right place...

Yup. I totally get it. I think when the weight does move it is like I just won a prize. LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    I am not losing daily now. To go from 140 to 139 took me 9 days. And I am ok with that. I just like to know where I stand.
    I mean once a day why not, but reading several times per day got me really worried. I'm glad if you cope well with one pound in 9 days. Anyway you are not far from goal so I guess that's very normal and expected at that stage. But I wouldn't be surprised if you lost a little more than 18 pounds...