Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Christie13

19 weeks-Who's that girl?-Cloud 9

Rate this Entry
19 weeks. Sometimes it astonishes me when I think about what I looked like just 19 weeks ago. I was puffy and bloated and miserable. I couldn't see my feet. My thighs were very large and caused so much friction they could start a fire. Shopping was no fun...everything looked like crap on me and did not fit right. I hated being in pictures and tried to avoid them at all costs. I ate way more than my husband and was always hungry. The most humiliating part is that at 4'11" I weighed more than my 5'9" husband. A lot more.

I started my journey in May of 2016. I kept hearing the advertisement for a weight loss center in town. Like every day. So I finally booked a consult. I went in and everyone was so nice and non judgey. They told me what the costs would be if I used my insurance versus self pay. They also told me the requirements for insurance and that it would take 6 months of being under the doctor's care for it to be approved. Scared and excited I signed my paperwork and started my process.

That night I had to go home and tell my husband. You see, it wasn't easy for me to admit that I was about to embark on a weight loss surgery journey. I was embarrassed that it had come to this. So I sat down with my husband of just 6 months that I could not control my weight on my own and needed to have this surgery. (I have known him since I was 16 -when I was thin-and we reconnected years ago and I moved to Texas to be with him.) He told me that my weight did not matter to him and that if I was just doing this for him that it was not necessary. Thing is, I wasn't doing this for anyone but me. For once in my life it was really all about me and for me. Yes, my family was going to benefit from a healthier me. My husband would get a sexier me. I would be a better role model for my kids but it was all for me.

After almost 7 months of appointments, weigh ins, an endoscopy, nutritionist visits, psych evals, blood tests and all I was finally approved for surgery on the 25th of October. I will never forget that call. We received the approval for your insurance company. When would you like to have your surgery?? Ummm....how soon can I have it? "We have openings next week on the 1st or 3rd of November." Well I really want the first but I have to give my work notice so I will take the 3rd! My work did know I was waiting to hear from my doctor about my hernia surgery...which happened at the same time. They were just aware of my sleeve surgery happening at the same time. LOL. So they were prepared. And then on November 3rd 2016...right before my November 13th 1 year wedding anniversary...I went in for surgery with my very supportive husband by my side. He was my rock from the day I confided in him. His support was immeasurable.

So fast forward 19 weeks. It has been one hell of a ride. I am so thankful for those ads on the radio every morning guiding me to the decision to make that call. I look down now and see thin thighs and I can see my feet. Sometimes when I look down I don't recognize myself. Seriously, I forget that is me. I look down in amazement. Are those my thighs? Wow. They look good. Or I catch a glimpse of my reflection in a glass or mirror and get caught off guard. I look normal sized. I look healthy. I don't recognize this new girl. She is confident and happy. She is living life with no shame or embarrassment about her size or the way she looks. WOW!!! She is me. A happier, healthier, thinner version of me and you know what?? I really love her!!

And I know we should not base how we feel about ourselves by the way we look but let's face it, if we don't like the way we look we feel bad. And we are all here with the surgery because we needed help and needed to get healthier but no one can tell me that looking better wasn't part of it. It is not vanity, it is comfort in our own skin. And I am grateful to feel comfortable in my new body. Thank you to all who listened to me ramble on but it really has been a great blessing!

Verdict.....I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!

Submit "19 weeks-Who's that girl?-Cloud 9" to Digg Submit "19 weeks-Who's that girl?-Cloud 9" to del.icio.us Submit "19 weeks-Who's that girl?-Cloud 9" to StumbleUpon Submit "19 weeks-Who's that girl?-Cloud 9" to Google

Comments

When not on a diet I was eating more than my husband too, always hungry too. I felt really ashamed of it and even if I know now than it was really my metabolism talking and not a weakness, it is still a bad memory.
    Many people outside just see how we look better but don't understand than the most important for us is to feel better in our own skin. Because carrying around so much extra weight each day is a real burden.
    But I'm not surprised that you decided to do the surgery because of adds on the radio. More and more I notice that bariatric patients receive no support from doctors and find their way to bariatric surgery by themselves.
    Enjoy your honey moon period! Losing the weight is really a great boost for our self esteem! And you are doing very good for yourself! congrats!
    Christie13,
    You were the first person my wife and I read about on this forum, it was the day of Laura's VSG, we had no real program planned, just the 2 surgeries 10 days apart. 19 weeks WOW, we are weeks 12 and 13 PO we do not yet have those amazing results that you and Greg have accomplished but we are both almost 40 pounds down. We have stalled after the initial 8 weeks of dropping weight, maybe the body decided we needed to hold for a while. Anyway, best wishes to you and your family. We know, eat more protein, drink more water, exercise more..... Everyone Have a Great Day........ 224 this morning......
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    When not on a diet I was eating more than my husband too, always hungry too. I felt really ashamed of it and even if I know now than it was really my metabolism talking and not a weakness, it is still a bad memory.
    Many people outside just see how we look better but don't understand than the most important for us is to feel better in our own skin. Because carrying around so much extra weight each day is a real burden.
    But I'm not surprised that you decided to do the surgery because of adds on the radio. More and more I notice that bariatric patients receive no support from doctors and find their way to bariatric surgery by themselves.
    Enjoy your honey moon period! Losing the weight is really a great boost for our self esteem! And you are doing very good for yourself! congrats!

Thank you Sandra! I think the biggest thing is that a lot of doctor's don't recommend it because a lot of insurance does not cover it. I feel so blessed that mine did. One of the things that the company advertised was "expert insurance negotiators". So even though I was not sure my insurance covered it, I figured it couldn't hurt to find out as the consult was free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpmlvm
    Christie13,
    You were the first person my wife and I read about on this forum, it was the day of Laura's VSG, we had no real program planned, just the 2 surgeries 10 days apart. 19 weeks WOW, we are weeks 12 and 13 PO we do not yet have those amazing results that you and Greg have accomplished but we are both almost 40 pounds down. We have stalled after the initial 8 weeks of dropping weight, maybe the body decided we needed to hold for a while. Anyway, best wishes to you and your family. We know, eat more protein, drink more water, exercise more..... Everyone Have a Great Day........ 224 this morning......
    Thank you so much. I am glad to hear you and Laura are doing well. The stalls are normal. Happens to everyone. You will eventually bust out of them. Just gotta figure out what is the trigger behind your stalls. I know when I eat too little I stall. Also, I know everyone says they avoid the scale because it is stressful. I weigh regularly. I don't obsess about it but I do like to see where I stand. Also, I eat low carb 90% of the time. For me it helps. I know a lot of people don't eat low carb.
    Congratulations Christy, I love my sleeve too. Thanks for sharing. I can relate to what you shared. Can't wait to be lighter than my 5' 7 husband. Won't belong. Continued success.
    Totally relate to your story hon. Like you, my work covered surgery and I haven't told hardly anyone about it. Great job Christie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2
    Congratulations Christy, I love my sleeve too. Thanks for sharing. I can relate to what you shared. Can't wait to be lighter than my 5' 7 husband. Won't belong. Continued success.
    Thanks Tamera! The sleeve has literally been a life saver! I am physically and emotionally so much healthier!
    Quote Originally Posted by Notoriousbig
    Totally relate to your story hon. Like you, my work covered surgery and I haven't told hardly anyone about it. Great job Christie!

Thanks Alvin! I think there is such a negative stigma on WLS and I am not going to let anyone rain on my parade. I am happy and healthy and my business is just that! You are rocking your weight loss Alvin!