Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sandra3

Taking turmeric to help with tendonitis

Rate this Entry
Since we can't take NSAIDs post-op, I decided to try something else that wouldn't affect my stomach.

I did read a lot in the past years about Ayurvedic "healing". I have a friend who goes to India several times a year to do Ayurvedic retreats, it's all about massages, diet, meditation and taking some important supplements. She has several health issues and it seems to help her a lot.

Turmeric is used a lot in India to help with inflammation.
I've been taking it for two weeks and my double tendonitis seems to get better. Of course I've been resting my knees much more than usual and do my walks only every two/three days, with a shorter distance than before. I also use the doctor's cream when it hurts. But so far no more swelling. Pain is still there but much less intense than two weeks ago.
At the same time I've been taking other supplements (collagen and silica) to help with tissue repair so Turmeric might not be the only key here.

I have a trip planned in three weeks and hoping to be in good shape because a lot of walking will be required.

Submit "Taking turmeric to help with tendonitis" to Digg Submit "Taking turmeric to help with tendonitis" to del.icio.us Submit "Taking turmeric to help with tendonitis" to StumbleUpon Submit "Taking turmeric to help with tendonitis" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Someone once told me to take ground up ginger root (about a half of one) and 1 cup of epsom salt in bath water for a soak also. I haven't tried it yet as my tub is a garden tub and I'm afraid of the mess it would make, but he was a medical masseuse for a professional football team, so I think he would know what he's talking about.
    Do you just take it in water or is it a turmeric supplement? Hopefully you will continue to get relief from the combo you are taking!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Do you just take it in water or is it a turmeric supplement? Hopefully you will continue to get relief from the combo you are taking!
    It's a supplement (Now Foods, Turmeric & Bromelain, 90 Veggie Caps).
    I hope something will work for good because it's taking for ever to heal...
    I know that must suck. Do you burp up the flavor of it? I know a lot of Omega 3's make me burp tuna flavor.
    I usually take my supplements at the beginning of my meals it helps with digestion. I started to do that years ago when I started to take oregano oil (in capsules) because it's so strong that if there's no food behind, it's like eating pizza all day. So I do the same for my Omegas, I take it with my first bite/sip. But for Omegas I noticed it also depend on the brand. Some are better than others. Right now I'm taking the "Now Foods, Omega-3 Mini Gels, 180 Softgels" and it's fine. Just before I was taking an other brand for the 3/6/9 and it made me nauseous. But I didn't take Omegas until I was 3/4 months out because I couldn't digest it well before that.
    Hope that continues to help. I have one knee that's really bad and full of Arthritis. Will have knee replacement sometime after I turn 50. I'm 46 now. One exercise that doesn't really make it hurt worse is the elliptical. My knee hates walking and requires a brace and it still a painful experience when the cortisone injections wear off. Food for thought if you haven't tried. Take care
    Sandra, I have read several books on the ancient medical practice of Ayurvedic. Two of my books Conscious Eating and Food as Medicine have extensive information on the practice.

Key is consistency. And western medical reports on tumeric and collagen have found benefits of collagen do not show until after six months. There still needs to be extensive long term studies on benefits turmeric because as of current short term studies benefits are minimal. Just be consistent and as long its not interfering with any other meds or supplements keep doing it.

You know I'm a huge advocate of supplementation and have taken both long term.

By the way, I started upping my iron before my menstrual period these past couple of months, and they haven't been as bad. I have had less bad days so that is really excellent news for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2
    Hope that continues to help. I have one knee that's really bad and full of Arthritis. Will have knee replacement sometime after I turn 50. I'm 46 now. One exercise that doesn't really make it hurt worse is the elliptical. My knee hates walking and requires a brace and it still a painful experience when the cortisone injections wear off. Food for thought if you haven't tried. Take care
    My partner who has never been obese or overweight, had knee replacement surgery a few years ago. He was a track and field athlete in high school and in college, and jogged everyday until about 10 years ago. He had a miraculous recuperation, but because he put off surgery for waaaay tooooo long needs to be on arthritis medication for the rest of his life. He had a recent colonoscopy and had to stop meds about three days prior, on day 2nd his knee and leg had swollen up like a balloon and could take a step without agonizing.

Talk to your orthopedic surgeon about the pros and cons of delaying surgery.
    Just curious, how far out were you when you started taking? My doctors office told me absolutely not to take turmeric as I inquired due to my hip issues, I am only 4 weeks out from surgery. I am however going to start taking Arnicare quick dissolving tablets. They are homeopathic and my doc and pharmacist said is Ok. I hope they help. Anyone with any experience?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2
    I've been taking turmeric for almost one month now and I can see a big improvement. I was able to walk 3 k yesterday without pain. For the past weeks I couldn't walk more than 2 K, stand or go down the stairs without excruciating pain. Pain woke me up at night at some point, it was that bad. Unfortunately the elliptical is not for me. Tendonitis is different than arthritis/cartilage damage. So far my cartilage is actually really good to my biggest surprise. I have what's called a "jumper knee" I was asked if I play basketball, made me smile. But apparently it could also be a consequence of my intensive ballet program done 30 years ago (??! WTH).
    Anyway, in my case cortisone injections wouldn't help. I was advised to do PRP injections (wich is my own blood in a centrifuged) and the plasma re-injected would be the only thing that could help repair the damaged ligaments. We are waiting to see if it would be necessary, hopefully I can pass it because that's quit expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    Sandra, I have read several books on the ancient medical practice of Ayurvedic. Two of my books Conscious Eating and Food as Medicine have extensive information on the practice.

Key is consistency. And western medical reports on tumeric and collagen have found benefits of collagen do not show until after six months. There still needs to be extensive long term studies on benefits turmeric because as of current short term studies benefits are minimal. Just be consistent and as long its not interfering with any other meds or supplements keep doing it.

You know I'm a huge advocate of supplementation and have taken both long term.

By the way, I started upping my iron before my menstrual period these past couple of months, and they haven't been as bad. I have had less bad days so that is really excellent news for me.
    I try to take different supplements with each meal. I ask advice to my nut but so far there's many things I take she never heard of (well in Asia they use Chinese medicine...that's why also) but currently my cousin who's a physician is doing a post-grad degree in nutrition and trying to look for infos for my case, it's really complicated with all my different issues.
    But so far so good...I might try the treadmill tomorrow. Can't wait to be back on my bike!

That's great news for the iron!
    One thing that I've been taking for years is mainly evening primerose oil and also sometimes borage oil. Evening primerose is a huge help for my crazy hormones, at some point last year I did run out, couldn't find it here and my next period was one of the worth ever. My endometriosis got worth over the years, it's so bad it's visible on scans, so I do take that religiously because one bad time can send me to the hospital...can't wait for meno...a friend (who has the same kind of issues) and I will make a big party to celebrate...
    I was introduced to a natural pain reliever over a year ago that I use on all my aches and pains. Its a topical and it starts to help in less than 90 seconds. Its great because you just rub it on, no heavy smell, it doesn't just mask the pain, it reduces inflammation. I put it on my stomach when its upset from something I ate and with in seconds the cramps are gone. If you want the information on it just let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackjac24
    I was introduced to a natural pain reliever over a year ago that I use on all my aches and pains. Its a topical and it starts to help in less than 90 seconds. Its great because you just rub it on, no heavy smell, it doesn't just mask the pain, it reduces inflammation. I put it on my stomach when its upset from something I ate and with in seconds the cramps are gone. If you want the information on it just let me know.
    Yes please let us know the details. That could help a few of us, others deal with chronic pain too. Many thanks!