Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

SoNotABarbie

An old oldie here needing your help

Rate this Entry
I have been gone from here for a few years. I've had a lot to deal with. I lost 2 sisters a year apart and then a son that tried to kill himself on Christmas eve, and then ANOTHER bout with kidney cancer in Nov of last year. And because of all this I have gained about 35pounds. I was so on my way to my goal and then my whole world went upside down. I'm trying so hard to get back on track. Ive started with the protein shakes to jump start my body.
I knew where to come to ask for help. YOU LADIES AND GENTS.
Tell me what you did to jump start your body again once you fell off the wagon. Give me some hints I will accept them all
BTW all my cancer has been removed. Lets hope no more please dear lord

Submit "An old oldie here needing your help" to Digg Submit "An old oldie here needing your help" to del.icio.us Submit "An old oldie here needing your help" to StumbleUpon Submit "An old oldie here needing your help" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I regained 40 lbs due to alcohol about two years ago because i was so depressed after a hysterectomy.. I am glad to hear your cancer is gone, but sorry for your losses and excess stress. i hope your son is better now or at least getting help to deal with what ever pushed him so far. I know for me I had to go back to basics and start over like it was the beginning. I was measuring and writing down everything I ate and I had to force myself to get back into yoga daily. And i had to make sure I didn't drink alcohol at all. What ever you know to be your major contributing factor in the weight gain you will have to face it and rid your life of it. If it is stress that is not an easy task but putting your mind to it does help in that area like anything else. Doing a pouch reset has always helped me to get back on track in the last 5 and a half years since my sleeve and if you're doing protein shakes it sounds like that's what you're doing. Just keep at it and work it like your did in the beginning and the weight will come back off. Its a tough road to maintain the weight loss but I know you can do it!
    So sorry for all you are going through! My only advice is to eat how we were taught at the beginning, protein first, then veggies. Don't drink with meals. Get in your water. Take your vitamins. Exercise. I think if you do that the weight will come off. To maintain I weigh myself every day so no "surprises" pop up. (Which I'm sure would happen if I stayed off the scale.) I myself would never go back to that "pouch test" or protein shakes, but do what works for you.

It is too bad surgery doesn't cure everything, life just goes on, the good and bad. I guess we need to look at the positives like your cancer is gone and your son hopefully is on the way to recovery. For me I broke the C2 vertebrae in my neck, and am extremely lucky to be alive! I have to think that everytime I feel sorry for myself in this cervical collar, with broken ribs, unable to exercise. Oh, and since surgery I've also developed a brain tumor, that luckily is not cancerous.

You can do it! I pray your life improves!
    I haven't had to loose weight after a gain after wls but wanted to offer my condolences for the loss of your surgery and offer empathy and prayer for your sons healing and offer prayer you remain cancer FREE!! I'm so sorry for everything you've gone through. Sounds like your on the right track. Going back to the high protein low carb diet. Had exercise,even if its just walking. If you don't have a good counselor or therapist; I encourage you to find one to help you work through all these. I pray everything continues to turns around for you and pray your son gets the help he needs or continues to get the help he needs so he can find peace and happiness in his life. Take Care. Sending you a big hug. God Bless you and your family and God please wrap your arms around this family and protect them.
    Bless you all for your help and well wishes, it is very appreciated.
    I am so sorry for all the things that have happened in your life. Sending you big hugs and prayers. I am not as far along as you but there is always the pouch reset. Some people swear by it and others don't think it should be done as it is "diet" mentality. I found it on a website that is all about WLS so I think it would be beneficial. http://www.obesitycoverage.com/the-p...weight-regain/
    I'm so sorry about those difficult years, your losses and cancer. It's a lot of stress to manage.

We are all supposed to expect a regain around 18 months out. I'm not there yet (13 months out) but after ten months/one year I could feel I could eat much more but I try to stick to my quantity (one cup) so I don't want to eat more and more. Eating enough protein is really important to feel full. I also try to eat vegan protein as much as mossible. But at the same time I'm trying to be looking at food as fuel. Nothing is really off limit but I want to eat the best things possible so my body can take advantage of all nutrients.
    If I have a treat it's a one time thing. I'm not going to be eating that thing every day for one week. I'm trying to be at peace with food, after years of diet and "forbidden food".

I haven't reached 18 months yet and no regain so far but I experienced that when I start to have cravings of I'm more hungry than usual, my vitamin deficiency is talking.
    Did you have a blood test done recently?
    I can feel from being very tired when my D vitamin is going down (again) and when I have sugar cravings it's my anemia talking.
    So with so much stress you might need more magnesium (do you have leg cramps for example? that's how I know for myself).
    Best thing to do would be to have a blood test and see what you need.It should be easier after to make the best food choices.
    Also try to walk outside everyday and have some sun it's good for the mood.
    Take care.
    Hi there, SoNot Barbie. Boy, you've been through the wringer. I hope your troubles take a break for a while!

Like you, I've been through a lot since WLS (8/14). Hubby was diagnosed with cancer and has been through chemo/radiation treatments twice, my mum died, hubby's dad and his oldest son died, all our pets have died, we've moved twice and more. Everyone has life's stresses, some worse than others, and worse at some times than others.

For those of us who have consistently used food to manage emotional discomforts we simply MUST find other ways to respond to stress than by eating. That means we have to utilize other resources to support us in finding these other options. Those resources include psychological therapy, exercise, meditation, spiritual practices, support groups of all kinds (online, real life, buddies, etc.), environmental changes, finding more supportive people to hang with and ditching unsupportive, sabotaging associates, and more. My big point here is that if you're not able to handle your life stresses with your current resources then you need more / better resources to support you.

My final advice is that it really helps me to visualize and remember very clearly how miserable I was when I weighed 100 pounds more than I do now. And contrasting how I felt *then* vs. *now* reminds me of why it's worth it to change permanently (not short-term) how I behave.

Long-term success is the reward for changing our lifestyles.
    Ty all and Ann boy your family has been through the wringer too , I'm so sorry to read. Ty for your kind words
    Hello.I am very sorry for your loss and all you have been through.

I have a question when you had the sleeve did your weight go down a good amount? or was it best with the bypass? I had the sleeve in 2013. I have lost about 50 lbs. I really thought I would have lost more. But I have a hard time moving around I have very bad back problems and other things that keep me from moving around a lot. Did you exercise a lot? Thank you so much for your time.