Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

rodmartir

A little nervous about the surgery

Rate this Entry
Hello everyone finally got my surgery date last week is going to be on the 13th of this month. My Doctor offer the bypass instead of the sleeve, I was really thinking of doing the bypass because of my acid reflux. But am sticking to the sleeve am ready for this change. The only thing and am surprise is that they haven't told me to do a liquid diet or nothing I hear people on here saying they go 2 weeks on liquid diets.

Submit "A little nervous about the surgery" to Digg Submit "A little nervous about the surgery" to del.icio.us Submit "A little nervous about the surgery" to StumbleUpon Submit "A little nervous about the surgery" to Google

Comments

Every surgeon is different and it also depends on how much weight you have to lose. I was on a 9 day pre op (and could have been 7 days as I had a choice between doing my surgery on a Tuesday or Thursday). I had 6 days of eating a small meal of meat and veggies and then 2 shake meals. Then the 3 days prior to surgery was all liquids. I have seen sooooo many different variations, though. My surgeon stated that 3 days of liquid was necessary to remove any particles of food from the stomach. He said it was to prevent it from getting into the incision and causing infection. Those 3 days were the days I ensured I did not screw up at all. As for the previous 6 I just had a small meal of my choice and the 2 shakes.
    One of my best friends had the sleeve done about 8 months ago in another part of the state by another doctor. He had her on liquid protein for weeks. My doctor? "Try to lose weight before surgery. The more room I have, the better." Yeah, they're all different. I also think it depends on if insurance is paying for it or not. My friend's insurance paid for it. Me, not so lucky. (Thank you Obamacare that forced me to give up Blue Cross because it quintupled in price -- no exaggeration. I'm self-employed.) Since we don't have to answer to the insurance company, there appears to be a lot more flexibility. I went ultra-low carb (the only diet that ever works for me anyway) the end of January and will do my best to do liquid protein until the 8th of this month when it will be a clear liquid day. I really believe in going as close to no carbs as you can. You'll find your hunger really diminishes. Now if I could just STAY on very low carbs... but I've been thru all of this before. Lost 100; gained 100.
    Congrats on getting this far the process can be very hard for some people to get threw. I never had any type of pre op diet either, my surgeon said just nothing after midnight the day of surgery every surgeon is different. It is something we talk about in my support group a lot the fact that they are so different you would think there would be a universal pre op diet and post op diet but there isnt.
    My surgery is tomorrow morning. I'm excited and anxious. I've been on a high protein liquid diet for 7 days to reduce"adipose fat" a liver -shrink diet, according to our program. It was tough at times but my appetite has really shrunk.
    Hopefully my recovery will go well.
    Thank you for all your input guys, today I see my doctor so lets see what he tell me.
    I had significantly bad acid reflux and even GERD at times before my surgery. Post-op VSG 3 weeks now and I don't have either one. I'm still taking my Nexium of course and I would never stop, but I'm elated that I have one less problem now.