Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Sandra3

Weaning off the PPI

Rate this Entry
The majority of sleevers will get a prescription for a PPI after surgery. I started mine the day after surgery (lanzoprazole 30 mg). While it was a huge help because post-op I had some serious reflux almost immediatly, I tried to stop it several times. My surgeon told me to try around one month or later if my first attempt was not successful.

One month out was really too early for me.
At about six months out I tried again, it felt better but then I had a treatment for a virus issue and then stopping the PPI was excluded, I actually had to get a higher dosage for three days. I was also really stressed and stress is a trigger.
One week later I went from 30mg to 15 mg. Then gradually I took it every two days, then every three days. Two weeks ago I stopped it completely.

So here is the trick: when you stop, you need to get ready for a fire in your stomach. It's going to be wild for a few days. So it's hard not to go back to the PPI but since it's only temporary, we have to be patients. I took Tumms and it did help a lot. I was also watching my diet to avoid any trigger, and was careful to have my dinner at least 3 hours before bed time.

The first time I lowered my dosage, I noticed that the strong nausea I had since surgery was gone almost over night.
I suspect that part of my nausea issue was probably one of the side effect from the PPI.
Now I really wanted to stop completely because I've been dealing with multiple deficiencies, it's not improving even when taking really high doses of supplements, so at some point my doc et nut said it could be also linked to the PPI. So my next blood test will tell!

While a PPI is so useful to help our sleeve to heal, does protect us from harsh chloridric acid that could damage our teeth and esophagus, the long term use of a PPI is not recommended by doctors. I'm glad I was finally able to stop it, at 13 months!
It does require some serious planning (get enough Tumms in advance, I had to have it imported!) but planning your meals is also important. I did stay away from many triggers during those two past weeks, from tea to nuts.

Right now I'm not taking Tumms at all, so my stomach might be ok now.
That took much longer than anticipated!

Submit "Weaning off the PPI" to Digg Submit "Weaning off the PPI" to del.icio.us Submit "Weaning off the PPI" to StumbleUpon Submit "Weaning off the PPI" to Google

Comments

Wishing you continued healing and success!

I haven't had issues with scid reflux but a few times I think and just one that I'm certain of. From that time I have slept on an incline. I have made an Italian marinara sauce several times thinking it might trigger acid reflux, but so far it's been ok. I have ate it over spaghetti squash so maybe that has been the trick.

Because of my tooth issue right now, I have been eating a lot of lentil and pea soups, as well as black beans and scrambled eggs. I used to get heartburn from those foods before, maybe I'm preparing differently now, but I don't think I am.

Thank you again for everything you do here for us new(ish) sleevers, and for going the extra mile to provide support in many ways!

Xoxoxo
    Hi Sandra! I am glad to hear you were able to get off the PPI. I was never on any. I just had used some Prilosec (the kind you take a 2 week cycle every 3 months) once and nothing since. I do take Tums occasionally. Sorry you had such a rough time the first days after getting off the PPI. Fingers crossed to continued success being off of it. Big hugs my friend and hopefully being off the PPI will help with all your nutrient levels.
    I am increasingly worried about being on Protonix for so long, over two years now. I want off of it! No doctors have ever mentioned it being bad for me or me ever coming off of it. I've been reading some pretty dreadful stuff about being on that type of medication though, and it frightens me. I don't know how I can come of of it. My reflux is so bad, even now while I'm taking it. If I'm late even by an hour, I have horrible heartburn for the rest of the day. Taking it on time in the morning simply leaves me until nighttime before the burning hits.

I read something about needing to take probiotics to help your gut, but I don't know anything about that stuff. I sure wish I had some help knowing what to do and how best to do it. My doctor is so damn useless. I'm so glad you were able to get off successfully, Sandra. Yay for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    Wishing you continued healing and success!

Xoxoxo
    Thank you so much Shirl!! You are always so sweet and supportive!
    So far it seems my reflux is under control, hopefully it's long term!
    My doc said before surgery it's hard to predict what can happen. I had a light reflux, it stayed, but apparently sometimes people with reflux pre-op have the great surprise to see it gone post-op!
    I'm glad we have this forum where we can share our experience and tricks. It's not always easy to find answers to our questions and doubts post-op, and that forum and our fellow sleevers have been amazing!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    Hi Sandra! I am glad to hear you were able to get off the PPI. I was never on any. I just had used some Prilosec (the kind you take a 2 week cycle every 3 months) once and nothing since. I do take Tums occasionally. Sorry you had such a rough time the first days after getting off the PPI. Fingers crossed to continued success being off of it. Big hugs my friend and hopefully being off the PPI will help with all your nutrient levels.
    Thank you dear Christie!!
    I knew that it was going to be difficult to stop the PPI but that was actually much worth than I expected. I'm hoping my next blood test will be better, I'll keep you posted!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katrina
    I'm so glad you were able to get off successfully, Sandra. Yay for you!
    Thank you Katrina!!
    I hope you will be able to stop your PPI too. I will be happy to help you the best I can. And yes, many doctors are useless because they only know their fields, not much about medication (or their side effects) almost nothing about nutrition and that's sad.

About probiotics. I have IBS for 20 years and I have been using a lot of different probiotics. Basicly because my intestines have been on a crazy ride for 20 years, with mysterious triggers, I tried many probiotics to give them some good bacteria to stop the crazy party. Some work better than others. While my health is really tricky on many ways, I also do have several allergies. Somewhere it's all linked to inflammation, because for obese people, the metabolic syndrome is basically a big inflammation for several organs.

So try a probiotic. It can only do good.
    Currently I'm taking "Healthy Origins, Probiotic, 30 Billion CFU's". As soon as I'm done with this one I will try the "Now Foods, Probiotic-10, 100 Billion" but this one as to be kept in a fridge so I did order some in advance so it would be shipped before the heat starts in a few weeks.
    Besides getting a large stock of Tums, I also used some homeopathy to help. Homeopathy can work, it just take longer than conventional medicine. But at least there's no side effect.
    I used "Boiron, Acidil, Indigestion" and also "MediNatura, BHI, Calming" because stress is a big actor on my stomach reflux.
    When I tried to stop my PPI in June, taking corticoids made it impossible, I couldn't stop my PPI while taking that medication, and the stress I was under was taking a big toll too. So you might need to wait until you stop the Mobic to really stop the PPI. Because at this stage you need to protect your stomach when you take an NSAIDs, even if this one seems to be much better than others.

After, I really focused on my diet.
    I tried to keep notes on what would trigger reflux. For me it's mainly tea (black in general, one green) but also hot sauce, salad dressing, a few fruits etc.
    I tried to always finish a meal with a few spoonful of "fromage blanc" it's almost like Greek yogurt. I noticed it does help to settle my stomach. I can't drink milk but a few people do use that too, but in that case wait for 30 minutes.

At first, I decreased the dosage.
    I was taking 30 mg in the morning, I switched for 15 in the morning and 15 at night.
    One week later I stopped the one in the morning and took only 15 mg at night. First meals I made sure to have mainly protein, hard boiled eggs for example. No fat with it, just eggs with salt.or grilled fish/grilled chicken.
    No drinking before after the meal.
    Each time I decreased the dosage it was hard, reflux was coming back stronger. But after a few days it went down. At the beginning I did take more Tums than recommended but that was only for a short period of time.
    When taking only 15 mg at night was working, I started taking it every two days. Then every three days. So it took a few weeks to stop completely.

Also, two weeks ago, when I stopped the PPI completly, I also stopped taking my omegas as well. I just couldn't stand to take it, it was a big trigger for reflux. I started again to take my omega 3 two days ago, now it's fine.

Good luck and keep us posted!! Persistence was really the key for me. Don't get discouraged when you lower the dosage because the fire will be intense, it will go down.
    Thanks Sandra! Your posts are always informative and I get such good info from them!