Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Jackie12

I Guess I Need to Buy New Clothes

Rate this Entry
I don’t post much here, but I visit almost daily to learn from others who’ve had or who are preparing for VSG. I see lots of new people with questions, as well as folks who have been around for a while and who are very inspiring. Some of you are also very real, frankly discussing challenges that we encounter. I’m four months post-op, and I wanted to share some observations from the perspective of someone who has made it through the first few months and has learned a few things along the way. I’m absolutely not pushing certain things; I simply thought I’d share some things I’ve learned. I know I still have a long way to go.
1. This really is a lifestyle change. I’ve found that restricting carbs and focusing on protein has become my focus, and it works for me.
2. I’ve learned to be prepared for challenges. There will be donuts at work. Friends will ask you to go out for pizza. Students (I’m a high school teacher) will show up at your door with something they made in foods class and want you to eat it all and then appropriately “ooh” and “aaah” over their creation. So…I keep a protein bar in my purse at all times, and I drink water or Crystal Light all day long. It helps.
3. I’ve found that having a hobby helps. I tend to eat when I’m bored, so I make sure I’m occupied pretty much all of the time. Ironically, my hobby is baking and decorating cakes. Go figure. However, I’ve done it for so long that I really don’t have much taste for cake anymore, so it hasn’t been hard to resist. The point is that it keeps me busy.
4. I record every bite of food that goes in my mouth. Everything. Even the occasional bad choice. It’s rarely as bad as I think it’s going to be, and I think holding myself accountable for my choices is important.
5. When I’m tempted to make a bad choice, I set a timer on my phone for 20 minutes. If the 20 minutes passes and I still want to do something bad, my plan was to try to figure out the least damaging way to do it. However, so far when the timer has gone off, the craving has passed and I either move on or make a healthy choice.
6. RE bad choices – if I’m tempted, all it usually takes is a mental note that I wrote checks for $11,000+ to have this done. I have no intention of spending that kind of money and not upholding my end of the deal. Besides, I already gave away most of my wardrobe.
7. I measure everything. Eyeballing can be dangerous.
8. I only overdid a meal once. The repercussions have served as powerful negative reinforcement, and I was so miserable that I cringe at the thought of doing it again.
9. The hunger and cravings sometimes come back. See #2 and #5.
10. I’ve learned to be prepared for nosy questions and unsolicited comments or advice. I opted to only tell my immediate family and two close friends what I was doing. Not a peep to anyone else. I know some folks have their suspicions, but most have enough sense not to ask. When someone does ask if I’ve lost weight, I say yes and smile. If they go further and ask how much, I simply say, “A lot” and change the subject. One colleague has said something about bariatric surgery a couple of times, I suspect in the hopes that I would offer input and perhaps even say that I’d had it. I don’t. I honestly don’t think it’s anyone else’s business how I choose to manage my health and body. Let them wonder.
11. At four and half months out, I still have all my hair. Hope this lasts.
12. Stalls happen. Enough said.
13. Finally, and maybe this is the greatest lesson I’ve learned – find people who support you. My husband has been fantastic, and I’m not sure how I would have made it through the first six to eight weeks after surgery without his unwavering support and care. My immediately family has also been extremely supportive and encouraging. That keeps me going.

So…I’m four months post surgery and 100 lbs. lighter. I read and study the comments here to learn from those more experienced that I am and to ensure that I stay on track.

What lessons have you learned on your journey?

Submit "I Guess I Need to Buy New Clothes" to Digg Submit "I Guess I Need to Buy New Clothes" to del.icio.us Submit "I Guess I Need to Buy New Clothes" to StumbleUpon Submit "I Guess I Need to Buy New Clothes" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Thank you for your list. I can relate to many of the struggles you mentioned and i agree with how you handled them. Its not easy at times to keep on track and focused. I find it so frustrating that everything revolves around food. all the holidays, when ever you meet or greet, all over the tv, and media. you cant get away from it. The mental and emotional changes you need to make are the hardest for me. people just dont understand that their are many things that are hard for people who have had the sleeve to eat. I still have a hard time with lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and many other veggies. I find myself frustrated with recipes because you have to read each and every one so carefully. people treat you differently. I wish i hadnt told my co workers because now i see them walking on egg shells because they dont want to bring something into work for everyone if its bad food or at potlucks they always ask what i can and cant have. people who havnt seen me in a while and didnt know that i had a surgery look at me differently like i must be sick or on drugs to have lost the weight. I find that so many of us that have had the surgery compare stories and how much weight lost. Im really trying to stay clear of all of that. best of luck to you and i think my next hobbie with be sewing as im having a hard time with clothes too.
    I couldn't agree more. I'm so thankful for the very realistic counseling I had prior to surgery because I feel that I was well prepared not only for the surgery itself but the challenges to follow as well. I understand your frustration with recipes and menus. I think a bright spot, however, is that your coworkers are trying to be cautious and to not create unnecessary challenges for you. I had to laugh when you mentioned sewing...what a great idea! I used to sew a lot, so maybe I too will dust off that old machine and hit the fabric store!
    A lot of that list could have been things right out of my mouth! I don't measure or track but most everything else is the same. And I haven't lost 100 pounds. Great job and very informative post! Have a great weekend!
    Hi, Christie 13. I should clarify that I lost about 30 prior to surgery, and the rest has been since. My overall total is just over 100 now. I also started at well over 400 lbs., so I think it's come off pretty quickly here at the beginning. I know it will slow down, and that's okay. I'm just really, really pleased so far, and it's helpful to share ideas and talk to others who are in the same situation.
    I so, so, so, so, so love your post, Jackie 12!

P.S. And yes, I'm sure you do need to buy new clothes.
    Thanks, Ann2. I follow your posts closely as I find that you always have good advice.