Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

superbitcaj81

2 Days Out From Surgery

Rate this Entry
I have to admit that I'm just really tired and I didn't feel like doing anything at all today. I had my surgery on February 17th and I spent the night in the hospital which was horrible, but I don't like being in the hospital anyway. Now that I'm home I've been up and walking around, I did dishes and a small load of laundry today. Finally had enough energy to stand in the shower, that was an amazing feeling! I am glued shut, no staples, with tiny pieces of gauze over top and then a clear plastic piece over that like a big round Band-Aid. I have 5 incisions total. I still have some gas floating around in my abdomen, but as it gets absorbed I take a gas-x dissolvable strip and it helps with the bloating. I made myself Jell-O today. I recommend the sugar free Jell-O you make and not the premade cups. I tried a small taste of one of those and it made my stomach hurt so I drank 2 ounces of chicken broth instead. I can tell when my stomach is full and when it is in the process of emptying. Close to being full is a tight satisfying feeling, but when my stomach is emptying it almost feels like a vacuum and I get this weird burp feeling. It definitely helps to sip my water all day long, that stops the strange emptying feelings. I have not over-filled my stomach yet and I hope that I never mindlessly do it. I'm still hurting pretty good on my right side, that's the side my stomach was taken out of. Thank the lord for abdominal binders, I had to hold my stomach in the shower today because to let it hang just hurt way too much. I was told to sleep at a 45 degree angle, I'm assuming to not put pressure on my incisions and to help with possible reflux. I tried to sleep in my mothers craftmatic bed, that was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever tried to do. So half way through the night I went out in the living room and slept in the recliner. That worked out much better and I had a lot less pain in my back and stomach. I know this is too much information, but I got excited about it and you will too, I passed gas for the first time today and it was such a relief on my poor abdomen. I do feel better today than I have since the surgery, the day of and the day after were hard for me. I really really don't like being in the hospital, but I was in pain laying in that stupid bed. the only relief I got in the hospital was when they gave me ice chips and pain meds. Best sleep ever!! I truly cant wait for tomorrow, I'm hoping I feel as big a difference in my healing as I did today. I think the tiredness will wane as soon as I can have some protein shakes. Right now I'm strictly water, sugar free Jell-O, chicken broth, and I had a sugar free popsicle that didn't really agree with me, but I may have taken in too much of it. I have a digital kitchen scale and when I made my Jell-O I set the cup on the scale and zeroed out the weight and slowly poured my Jell-O in until it said 2 fluid ounces. I do the same with the chicken broth, its just easier for me to be sure I'm getting in what they want me to every 2 hours. I'm sipping an Atkins brand LIFT Protein Drink (its clear liquid) right now and I think its still too much for my stomach to handle, glad I took it slow. Maybe in a couple days i'll be able to handle it. I just feel like I need some vitamins and nourishment, definitely some more calories than what I'm able to take in. I'm trying to walk around so I don't get blood clots in my legs but I'm just so tired from not getting that much calories and zero carbs. Sorry to ramble, those were just a few things I wanted to get out there so if you're starting this journey soon you know what to expect in your first couple days. Also, keep a pillow handy in case you get nausea or have to cough or sneeze, that really doesn't feel good at all. Plus side, I lost 7 pounds in 2 days!

Submit "2 Days Out From Surgery" to Digg Submit "2 Days Out From Surgery" to del.icio.us Submit "2 Days Out From Surgery" to StumbleUpon Submit "2 Days Out From Surgery" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Wishing you a speedy and healthy recovery! Sounds like things are going well for you.

Xo
    Thank you Shirl, much appreciated. I feel even better today than I did yesterday, its so strange how fast your body learns to cope with something like this.
    You sound like you are doing great. Congratulations
    Congrats on your surgery! You are doing everything right. Always smart to listen to your body.
    Congratulations! I am a newbie as well and sounds like you are managing this well! Best of luck to you!!
    Thank you everyone. I'm feeling much better today. I did cough unexpectedly through the night and caught myself off guard, I was unable to brace my incisions and I felt an awful pain and pull. It went away after a few moments so I don't think I tore anything open. Beware of water additives like crystal light, that's what made me cough. I felt like I needed something more than just water so I took a sip of that and it caught in my throat. I think I'm ok though, I'm not having constant or recurring pain from it. I had severe pains in my sleeve this morning, I couldn't decide if I was hungry, had too much acid, or if I had gas pains. I decided to start my day off with a Nexium, the pain is gone so it must have been too much stomach acid. I'm still supposed to be on clear liquids until I see the doctor on Thursday, but I need sustenance, this clear liquid diet is not cutting it. my body is screaming for anything with substantial nutrients. I decided today that I would very carefully and lightly sip a protein shake and wait, hopefully not for punishment. After about 5 minutes my baby stomach growled a little and seemed happier, so I've sipped my protein shake every 2 hours since. I know according to the rules my doctor gave I'm cheating, but its ok if you feel fine, right? I'm not overdoing it on the protein, I know I'll feel full faster with the shakes because they're thicker, so I'm not even measuring out the 2 ounces I'm supposed to be able to hold. Another tmi moment, after drinking the protein shakes I had a BM, I feel like a normal person again!!! I'm happy and I'm thankful to have had no complications as of yet and I'm taking this slow and steady to be sure that I won't, but....my god I can not wait to eat even a tiny piece of a scrambled egg. And get this, I'm not even an egg person! Go figure! LOL