Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Christie13

My hips don't lie-14 weeks-New shoes-Another pound down-For the love of running

Rate this Entry
So I had to walk on my workout today. I have noticed over the last week or so that my hips have been hurting a little when I run. Originally it was just my left hip but now it is both. I was able to still run but would be sore that night and the next day. After my day off from running I would be able to run again and do the same cycle all over again. Today I only ran for about 5 minutes and knew that if I continued I would most probably injure myself. So I just speed walked the rest of my workout. I also got to wear my new shoes. Love them. I was still able to work up a sweat. So I did take a picture and I am loving my buffness. (Just don't mind my running pack being twisted. I had to take my phone out so my daughter could take the picture and it also made my tank top bunch up.)
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	run buff2.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	26551
Today was my progress picture day. I feel pretty damn good with my new pictures and measurements. I lost another pound. So I am happy with that as well. I am now to the point in my journey that I am averaging a weight loss of 2 lbs a week. I know that for some that is not much but it is a healthy and steady weight loss so I am good with that. I have lost 40 pounds in a 14 weeks and 3 days. I lost 20 pounds pre op so my total is at 60 pounds lost. On my 4'11" frame, it is quite a noticeable difference. So I am proud of myself. I am grateful to the skilled hands of my surgeon and all the mental changes I have been able to make in my life and habits. I am thankful for all you wonderful friends on here who offer support, encouragement, and share your wisdom. I am thankful for this new chance I have to live a healthy life and set a good example for my kids.
I am really only sad about having to switch back to walking until my hips feel better. I really, really like to run. I am hoping that this little break is temporary. I will continue to speed walk. Wish me luck for a speedy recovery. I hope it is not because I am calcium deficient. I don't think I am. I drink 12 oz of milk, have a bariatric brand calcium chew, take a bariatric brand multi vitamin, and eat cheese daily. I would think that would cover me enough with calcium to not have any deficiency. And I am pretty sure the feeling is coming from my bones and not my muscle as I get no relief from muscle rubs. Fingers crossed. Maybe a week and I can get back to it. In the mean time I will also try using my foam roller to stretch it out and see if that helps any.

Submit "My hips don't lie-14 weeks-New shoes-Another pound down-For the love of running" to Digg Submit "My hips don't lie-14 weeks-New shoes-Another pound down-For the love of running" to del.icio.us Submit "My hips don't lie-14 weeks-New shoes-Another pound down-For the love of running" to StumbleUpon Submit "My hips don't lie-14 weeks-New shoes-Another pound down-For the love of running" to Google

Comments

Congrats on the new buff you! Be kind to yourself. Running is tough on the body. Resting it is important plus you're still being active. That's a win.
    You are doing great and should be proud of yourself.
    You should be proud!! you're doing great!! and it seems to be really warm in Texas right now! wow! sleeveless! yesterday I had two sweaters on! it was only 10°C but it's always humid here...

Great news for the shoes too, I will try those in a few months.

But your pain could be coming from anything from new shoes to your body adjusting to your new gravity center or new posture. It might go away very soon.
    I had pains here and there in my body during the first six months, nothing really persistent besides injuries, but that was an entire other issue. May be you could run on a treadmill to try to see if it feels better because there's more cushion and it's less impact on your body.

I was actually talking to my surgeon about my calcium level during one of my post-op and he said that a blood test is not enough we need to have a densitometry Xray/scan to make sure our bones are ok. I also take many supplements, calcium and have it in my food daily as well but since I do have several others deficiencies, I was told to be careful. Tricky part is that our blood test could be ok on calcium because the body is taking it from our bones. That's why we have to check with a scan to make sure. I think I will do it in a few months.
    PS: just received (finally) my lab results. My Vitamin D is still too low...and I take a lot! but I was just reading an article in a medical journal, they said that low D gives pain in the bones...I didn't know, thought it was only calcium..
    You're doing fantastic!! WOO HOO! You're my inspiration.
    Today is my first week back to work. Next week I plan on joining the gym!

Hope you hips feel better soon!
    Christie, all the best to you on feeling better. In my support group, one participant said the surgeon won't release her to run yet even though she wants too bad. Advice was to take care with running, he won't release most of us to run until we have most of the weight off, he said an injury to a WLS patient can be devastating in that you can't exercise and it could possible affect your overall goals. Be patient with yourself!
    You're doing sooooo good! Really hope you find out what is going on and that it is nothing. Great picture!
    Keep up the good work! I can only hope to do as well as you have. Being in pain is hard when you just wanna keep going, but I agree with Sandra3 abut the vitamin D deficiency. I was fatigued and had bone pain so I went to the doctor. She sent me to have lab work done and it turns out that I was also vitamin D deficient, so much so that I have to take 2,000IU daily just to keep it up there. My doctor told me that at least 75% of the population is vitamin D deficient and they don't even know it. Some lab work wouldn't hurt, it's better to know than to let it go. Also, vitamin D helps with calcium absorption so if you're deficient then chances are your body isn't absorbing enough calcium as it needs no matter how much you take in.
    Thanks everyone! I am thinking you guys are on to something with the vitamin D deficiency. My sister (who was sleeved a little over 5 years ago) had a lot of issues with vitamin D deficiency. So I did go to the drug store today and get some vitamin D to add to my list of vitamins/supplements to take daily.
    I have that problem occasionally, it isn't actually my hip, it's the outside top of my leg. Doctor says it's bursitis. I've never done anything about it because it comes and goes, but I've heard of people having a cortisone shot that takes away the pain.
    Christie, I walk a ton along with getting my runs in. Actually, it's the latest training method for distance runners...mixing walking, running and weightraining. Sooooo, I've been running day, then elliptical, then walking then repeat while listening to my body. Walks are around 4.1 to 4.3 mph treadmill while watching Sons of Anarchy episodes. I was leery until Tues morning I tested my cardio with a 5 mile run outside. All my training thus far has been indoors. I totally smoked the run while listening Disturbed and finished strong. A 10k would be cake right now....so listen to your body, walk, ellliptical and when your hip is good....you won't have lost a thing. Go girl!!!=}
    Quote Originally Posted by Notoriousbig
    Christie, I walk a ton along with getting my runs in. Actually, it's the latest training method for distance runners...mixing walking, running and weightraining. Sooooo, I've been running day, then elliptical, then walking then repeat while listening to my body. Walks are around 4.1 to 4.3 mph treadmill while watching Sons of Anarchy episodes. I was leery until Tues morning I tested my cardio with a 5 mile run outside. All my training thus far has been indoors. I totally smoked the run while listening Disturbed and finished strong. A 10k would be cake right now....so listen to your body, walk, ellliptical and when your hip is good....you won't have lost a thing. Go girl!!!=}
    Thanks. I am eager to get back to running but am going to wait and give it a try this weekend. I am so jealous that you are rocking your runs. I love running and I am eager to start running races!
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    I have that problem occasionally, it isn't actually my hip, it's the outside top of my leg. Doctor says it's bursitis. I've never done anything about it because it comes and goes, but I've heard of people having a cortisone shot that takes away the pain.
    Mine is definitely my hip bone. I can feel it when I try to stretch my hips. It is coming from the bone area.