Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

JMarie65

What do you mean you lose your hair??

Rate this Entry
My surgery is in 8 days and I just joined this site. The more I read the more terrified I become. I know it is a HARD thing to go through but please kind people, I need some encouragement. I have only told my husband and daughter who are not thrilled I am going to Tijuana but they support me 100%. I thought I had done enough research but I learn more here everyday.. Tell me it's worth it PLEASE.

Submit "What do you mean you lose your hair??" to Digg Submit "What do you mean you lose your hair??" to del.icio.us Submit "What do you mean you lose your hair??" to StumbleUpon Submit "What do you mean you lose your hair??" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Its so worth it. You don't lose all of your hair, but your hair will get pretty thin. Mine is growing back and it looks like I have 2 sets of bangs. LOL.. I was able to get 98% of my weight off by the 6 month mark. I will tell you that I worked really hard to do that. I work out 5 days a week and I am 2 pounds from my final goal. I know that not everyone can or will work out. I just started walking. If you work at it you will be thin in no time. I feel so much better. No more meds, achy joints and I love that people call me skinny now.
    Thank You...I needed that!
    Yes I did lose hair. It stopped falling out at the 6 month mark. For about a year after that I had significant wispy bangs but now they are long enough to blend into my ponytail 19 months afer surgery. And i've lost 95lbs.. started lifting heavy things and playing jui jitsu. Losing hair was definitely a thing for me, but heh, NOW so is deadlifting more than my bodyweight and being able to do a backwards somersault to a stand up position!
    I am only 14 weeks out and so far no hair loss. It happens in about 40% of sleeve patients. My sister had the sleeve 5 years ago and her hair thinned but she never went bald or anything like that. She decided to cut hers short and it always looked super cute and super trendy. I think the faster you lose weight the more the likelihood of hair loss. She lost about 80 lbs in 6 months and she is short like me so it was a lot on her frame. (She is 5'0".) It is not such a big price to pay. It grows back.
    If you have tons of hair preop like I did, you might welcome a little thinning like I have. It takes me 10-20 minutes max to do my hair whereas before it took me hours!

If you stay hydrated, take your vitamins and keep your protein high even if you lose hair yu will see regrowth immediatelly. There is a term for it, but I can't remember it trichio something. Actually, hair is not essential for human evolution or survival so when we go through a traumatic experience hair is the last to get the necessary nutrients to keep it healthy. Stress and surgery, as well as genetics and medication has a lot to contribute how much you lose. But again, if you are following tour program you should be able to see regrowth right away.
    I lost a lot of hair like I always do with any diet, new medication etc...it's in my genes, my mother and father had thin hair. I must say I was expecting it and didn't really care. I'm almost 13 months out, lost a lot of weight (98 pounds) and my health is so much better today!
    I lost most of my hair between month 3 and 6. It started to grow back from month 7. I almost don't lose any thing right now.
    I was ready to buy a wig if needed, but it was not that bad. I used a keratin powder to hide my thin spots where my white scalp was too obvious (Toppik or Fusion). During my last post-op my nurse was surprised that I didn't lose any hair! Nobody can see that the keratin powder works really well! I explained to her what I use so she can share it with other patients. I saw a few in the waiting room who really had thin hair too.

It's normal to be scared before any kind of surgery, I was sleepless for days. But hair will grow back, don't worry. If you have regular blood-tests and good nutrition/supplements teh ahir issue will only be temporary. But the weight loss will be permanent if you follow the rules!
    Best wishes for your surgery! take care!
    It has been 6 weeks since my surgery and I've lost 32 lbs since the surgery (6 lbs lost in the pre-op diet) and I haven't lost any hair yet. I do take collagen though, so I don't know if that is part of the reason why or not, but it may be part of the reason. There is a powder version of collagen that you can order online. Also, I know it may sound gross in some cultures, but pigs feet, if prepared correctly are very high in collagen and safe for your post-op diet once you get to solids. There are some great recipe options online and they also have 20 grams of protein per a 3oz serving, which is really good.
    Thank You EVERYONE for the responses. I feel SO much better. I know it sounds silly, but after being heavy for so long my hair is my only vanity. I hope everyone has a great weekend and again thank you for your support!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa5018
    It has been 6 weeks since my surgery and I've lost 32 lbs since the surgery (6 lbs lost in the pre-op diet) and I haven't lost any hair yet. I do take collagen though, so I don't know if that is part of the reason why or not, but it may be part of the reason. There is a powder version of collagen that you can order online. Also, I know it may sound gross in some cultures, but pigs feet, if prepared correctly are very high in collagen and safe for your post-op diet once you get to solids. There are some great recipe options online and they also have 20 grams of protein per a 3oz serving, which is really good.
    In general people start to lose their hair around month 3 or 4. So it's too early for you to know. But many don't lose anything, you might be lucky! take care.
    A video on why/how we MIGHT lose our hair. Not everyone loses hair, and it's not permanent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI6li4nBpws&t=4s
    I started losing my hair at the 4 th month and it is slowing down but I am going on 8 months. I decided to have my hair cut really short because the more I said it didn't bother me, the more it really did. I even bought a wig just in case. Some people don't lose a lot and some lose more. I survived and so will you.
    Worth it? Worth being a regular sized person? There are no words to describe how amazing this surgery was to my life. I never in my wildest dreams ever thought I would be anything but fat for the rest of my life. Now I am not fat, and my life is wonderful.

I lost a little hair, but nothing noticeable. Maybe because I have thick hair, I don't know. But my hair was the least of my worries; being huge, ugly, and unhealthy was my top concern.
    I have heard that this is one of the easiest surgeries to have. A friend of my mom's had it done and she's had 14 major surgeries, now that includes the sleeve, but she is terrified of surgery because she doesn't usually handle the anesthesia well. She said that she woke up after this surgery without pain and she could walk immediately afterwards. This is something she couldn't do beforehand. The other surgeries that she'd had were a double masectomy, hysterectomy, and knee replacement surgery. She said there were 5 little keyhole incisions and everything went completely smooth. I was so scared before i talked to her but she is a very peppy person and she gave my hopes rocket fuel!
    Of course that's not to say there aren't risks... but they're much easier to face than what some of us experience (like me) on a daily basis because of the weight.
    She was definitely my shot of courage I'm so fortunate to count her as part of my support system. Don't worry, everything will go wonderfully well and you'll have a much better life to look forward to after.
    I am three months + out and just started to shed hair. It is just shedding, it is not losing the ability to grow hair.....all is well....for me everything about this surgery is worth it
    I must be the odd person out here but I knew about the hair loss and the hair didn't bother me so much since my hair is short anyway and I have a collection of hats and bandanas that I wear anyway but it was my nails that I was worried about - I have had super long natural nails since I was 18 and let them grow out so just the thought of losing the strength of my nails freaked me out more than my hair. Someone I "met" from here who was local told me to take pre-natal vitamins and a hair and nail supplement which I did pre-op and post-op and I still do... I lost very little hair and thank goodness my nails were not impacted at all.
    It's worth it!!! I haven't really noticed my hair too much, but I do take 10,000 mcg Biotin. My boyfriend noticed how fast my hair was growing and started taking the Biotin too and has had really good results with hair growth. He is at a normal weight and has had good results with Biotin as well. His hair was falling out naturally hehehe... I really think it's a combination of Protein and Biotin to be honest. To me, this was the best decision I ever made.