Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Christie13

Pride goeth before the fall...literally!!-Crash and burn-Spaghetti squash-squished

Rate this Entry
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knee2.png 
Views:	461 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	26536

So I completed week 5 of C25K. I was really worried about tonight because it was 20 minutes of straight running. My husband bailed on me because his ankle was hurting. I think he thought I would just not go. Nope. I am doing this. It is my thing. So I got out there and wondered how far I would be able to make it without stopping. I was just putting right along....feeling really proud of myself as I was 18 minutes into my run and feeling FIERCE. Then all of a sudden...wham. I am face down on the road. My foot hit a raised part of the sidewalk and I took a tumble. I was really lucky because tonight was chillier and I had long pants on. All I did was skinned my knee and hurt my finger a bit. But I picked myself up and finished strong. Go figure I would fall when I am all alone. It was fine, though, since I had my phone on me and I was in my subdivision. No risk of death. Just goes to show that pride really does goeth before the fall. That was really a humbling experience. LOL.
So I am still doing well with my weight loss. I was 150 this morning. I am soooo close to being in the 140's I can hardly stand it. This has been such an amazing journey and the emotional high is something else. I am 13 weeks today and my weight loss total is 37 lbs since surgery and 57 total. I am very pleased with those numbers. I still haven't noticed any hair loss but I am quickly approaching that 4 month mark that seems to be the common time frame for a lot of people. Keeping high hopes that I may get lucky but know it is a possibility.
Tonight the family had pasta with meat sauce. I make amazing sauce and I have not eaten any since surgery. Well tonight I busted out a spaghetti squash and enjoyed my "pasta". I really don't mind spaghetti squash. I mean, it's not pasta but it hits the craving. And I got my protein from my delicious home made sauce. It is so easy, too. I say that was definitely a win situation for me.
This morning I had a scare at the doctor's office. Went in for a mammogram. After the first one, they brought me back to do a more in depth on with smaller paddles and took a million more pictures from all sorts of angles. Then they called me back and said they needed to ultrasound my right breast. She took a long time and clicked a lot of pictures. FINALLY after 2 hours of these tests the doctor came in and said I was fine. My breasts are just very dense so they were initially worried but it was not cancer. Then they advised me that since my tissue is so dense and I have family history they would suggest that I get genetically tested for the breast cancer gene. So I made an appointment for Feb 17th. Not sure what I would do if they said I had it. My mother passed away almost 2 years ago from breast cancer that eventually spread to her brain and then liver. She had a long 5 year battle with it.
Well all, I am thankful for my family, friends, my sleeve, my new health, and all of you wonderful people who I consider my sleeve buddies! Have a great night and remember to get your boobies checked. And you if you are one of the male sleevers...help your honey check her boobies. Big hugs!

Submit "Pride goeth before the fall...literally!!-Crash and burn-Spaghetti squash-squished" to Digg Submit "Pride goeth before the fall...literally!!-Crash and burn-Spaghetti squash-squished" to del.icio.us Submit "Pride goeth before the fall...literally!!-Crash and burn-Spaghetti squash-squished" to StumbleUpon Submit "Pride goeth before the fall...literally!!-Crash and burn-Spaghetti squash-squished" to Google

Comments

You go its exiting im a little over a year in the most difficult thing was others reaction to my drastic weight loss size24 to a 7-8 i feel good i dont care what others think be proud i am great job
    Quote Originally Posted by shaw
    You go its exiting im a little over a year in the most difficult thing was others reaction to my drastic weight loss size24 to a 7-8 i feel good i dont care what others think be proud i am great job
    Thank you! Wow! From a size 24 to a 7/8. That is fantastic! I do feel very proud of myself. I am living the dream. I take all my surgeon's post op lifestyle changes very seriously. Congrats on your success.
    I used to aways wonder why runners ran in the road in the dark in our subdivision. That bothered me. Then I did the same thing you did, trip on a sidewalk crack while running downhill. Ouch!!

So now I run in the road facing the traffic with a cool flashing light clipped to my jacket. Not much traffic at 5 AM so it works.

(But I'm still a klutz. I've tripped on roots in the woods in broad daylight.)
    I hope you had some arnica cream on hand to put on your knee? After my last fall I also took arnica in granules as well, my bruising was very bad on half my leg.
    Regarding the genetic test, with your family history you did the right thing. The test results could take up to three weeks to come out (well it did for us each time)...the wait is the worth part. I hope you will get a negative!
    My sister in law was in your case, except she had several tumors removed already, always negative. Genetic test was also negative. Her mum had breast cancer as well, in one year she developed two huge cancerous tumors in one breast. So far she is in Remission, it's been almost five years now. Her prognostic was very bad to start with, the doctors were really pessimistic because they rarely saw a cancer that aggressive growing in just one year or less, but I guess she got lucky.
    Whatever comes next, you did the right thing with the sleeve. Losing weight does lower our risk of cancer and other diseases. So don't think too much about your results right now. Because so far you don't have tumors and you changed your environments positively.
    I have myself a major issue with tumors (it's linked genetically to my obesity) and have to have it removed if it gets too big or on the wrong spot. So far all were negative except one which was "pre-cancerous". I need to have more removed soon, but I won't worry unless there a reason to worry..because lowering my BMI was the best way to fight it, so wait and see...
    Crossing my fingers for you! take care.
    Ouch sorry to hear about the fall! But WOW, I've never been a runner and even in jr high when I wasn't really overweight yet, I don't think I could run more than 30 seconds straight! haha I was always one of those girls at the very end when the gym class made us do the mile. Since last week I've been doing 52 minutes (x6 days so far) on the elliptical which I seem to be able to do for a longer period of time than running on regular ground/treadmill. I think it's my knees being weird, or my feet slightly outturned.

Also that's SUCH a relief about the mammo, I would imagine being called back for any kind of closer look would be scary as *#@&!^! Good luck w/the test on Feb 17.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer
    I used to aways wonder why runners ran in the road in the dark in our subdivision. That bothered me. Then I did the same thing you did, trip on a sidewalk crack while running downhill. Ouch!!

So now I run in the road facing the traffic with a cool flashing light clipped to my jacket. Not much traffic at 5 AM so it works.

(But I'm still a klutz. I've tripped on roots in the woods in broad daylight.)
    Funny thing is I usually do run in the road facing traffic. But I was a the end and for whatever reason I went up onto the sidewalk. Brain fart I guess?! I was like just a tad away from smacking my face on the ground. But you know what? Lesson learned. I did not run on the sidewalk yesterday! LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3
    I hope you had some arnica cream on hand to put on your knee? After my last fall I also took arnica in granules as well, my bruising was very bad on half my leg.
    Regarding the genetic test, with your family history you did the right thing. The test results could take up to three weeks to come out (well it did for us each time)...the wait is the worth part. I hope you will get a negative!
    My sister in law was in your case, except she had several tumors removed already, always negative. Genetic test was also negative. Her mum had breast cancer as well, in one year she developed two huge cancerous tumors in one breast. So far she is in Remission, it's been almost five years now. Her prognostic was very bad to start with, the doctors were really pessimistic because they rarely saw a cancer that aggressive growing in just one year or less, but I guess she got lucky.
    Whatever comes next, you did the right thing with the sleeve. Losing weight does lower our risk of cancer and other diseases. So don't think too much about your results right now. Because so far you don't have tumors and you changed your environments positively.
    I have myself a major issue with tumors (it's linked genetically to my obesity) and have to have it removed if it gets too big or on the wrong spot. So far all were negative except one which was "pre-cancerous". I need to have more removed soon, but I won't worry unless there a reason to worry..because lowering my BMI was the best way to fight it, so wait and see...
    Crossing my fingers for you! take care.
    So far the bruising wasn't too bad. I just iced it when I got home. Although sometimes I forget and put my knee on the bed to get in and it doesn't feel great.
    Yeah, I am keeping relaxed as I know the stress will not help anything. Trying not to think about it too much. I am ready to just have the test and get it over with. Better to know and make an informed decision so we will take it as it comes.
    And I agree....I am doing everything in my power to become the healthiest me possible. I am hoping to be off my BP meds soon. I am still taking them and I am in a good normal range but now that without them I would be a tad bit high. So maybe in about 10-15 lbs?? We will see. I see my primary care again on March 10th. I will see what he thinks. Also, I have a machine at home and take my blood pressure measurements nightly.
    That must be stressful having to deal with tumors regularly. So far I have been blessed and not had any issues. Do you know where you are going yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny53669
    Ouch sorry to hear about the fall! But WOW, I've never been a runner and even in jr high when I wasn't really overweight yet, I don't think I could run more than 30 seconds straight! haha I was always one of those girls at the very end when the gym class made us do the mile. Since last week I've been doing 52 minutes (x6 days so far) on the elliptical which I seem to be able to do for a longer period of time than running on regular ground/treadmill. I think it's my knees being weird, or my feet slightly outturned.

Also that's SUCH a relief about the mammo, I would imagine being called back for any kind of closer look would be scary as *#@&!^! Good luck w/the test on Feb 17.
    I am so enjoying the C25K. It makes me feel super strong and healthy. I am probably running the equivalent of a turtle but I don't care. I can see so much improvement. I think running is about learning to have a proper stride and also having the right shoes. I am going to be buying me a new pair soon. I have been reading reviews like crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    That must be stressful having to deal with tumors regularly. So far I have been blessed and not had any issues. Do you know where you are going yet?
    The tumor issue was stressful for the first ones, but when we knew the why and how, it got better. They grow slowly and was told to have it removed at least before reaching ten years. Right now with the weight loss I can see more popping out, not quit sure since when it was there since it was "hidden in the middle of the bacon", so I'm planning on having those removed pretty soon, especially if we go back home for work. It's not a big deal, I can have it done under a local anesthesia and recovery time is usually short. And when I will do the "tummy tuck" they will actually remove a few there too. So it will save me from a few extra procedures.
    No news for our next destination, we'll probably know more around April/May.