Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Cherub

Thoughts on Volume

Rate this Entry
I have read a lot on this forum and heard in my program about the importance of not overeating. That part I get about paying attention to the full switch and measuring portions.

My question is about liquid. How much is too much and in what time frame? I remember on weeks 1-2 that my instructions said to try to get in 8oz of liquid over a 60 min period. I can drink more now being 3 months out. But wonder if drinking 16 oz in 10-12 minutes is a bad thing to do. I can drink 16 oz of warm liquid in less than 15 minutes and it does not hurt but I wonder if that is a bad habit that I need to stop. I can't drink that much water in 15 min, water takes me longer. I want my sleeve to last a lifetime. What are your thoughts?

Submit "Thoughts on Volume" to Digg Submit "Thoughts on Volume" to del.icio.us Submit "Thoughts on Volume" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thoughts on Volume" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Liquid will NOT stretch your stomach, they drain right out. We have no limits on liquid. (Unless it's liquid calories, like soda, juice, booze, etc.)

I was told no liquids 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after my meal or snack. Other than that, all the liquids I want.

Oh, and early on after surgery you can only sip. Now, after three years, I can drink like a normal person.
    Agree with Sraebaer. As long as you are not drinking high calories then you should be good to go.
    I can drink water almost regularly now. But I do wonder the same when I drink a protein shake just as fast.
    I'm so glad to hear that other people can drink normally. I am 5 months post op and can drink like I always did. For a good while, if I drank too fast, I'd get a pain in my side, but those days are long gone. (Same with eating, but that's a different story). I can't say I'm good at the 30 minute rules, but I try. I thought I'd only be able to sip for the rest of my life, and thought for sure I'd stretched my stomach when I became able to drink more. Glad to hear that's not the case!
    I asked my doc today. He said it is best to slow it down and divide the amount I drink into 2 or maybe by three. I have this 16-20 oz cup that I love to put my warmed skim milk and tea in. He said I am only 3 months out and to slow it down since I want the effects for a long time and not a few months. He suggested I just switch to the 8oz cup. I know he is right since I was wanting to drink all I had (16oz+) in my cup while it was warm. Gotta kick my preference habit
    If you don't drink with you meal you are fine.
    I always tried to respect the 30 mns before and after until may be month 7. At that point it was Summer and way too hot, so I stopped drinking around 15 minutes before and keep the 30 mns after unless I'm only having soup.
    I don't think liquids are an issue if it's away from solids. Try to drink as much water/tea as possible, it will help your body to lose the weight and get rid of toxins. Liquids will not do anything to your stomach...unless it's loaded with calories!
    I'm always trying to drink more because reaching the 64 oz it always hard...my surgeon told me actually ten days ago I should try to drink more...because reaching the minimum was not enough in a tropical country ..