Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

g~doll

Help!

Rate this Entry
Hi everyone, it's been two years and a half since my surgery. I have lost @ 50 lb's that was all the first year. I believe it's because I got super sick in the beginning. I wasn't able to eat anything for months just liquids, and even that was very painful. Well, ever since I've been able to eat again, I suppose I just kind of indulged. Not eating big portions just more often and anything. My cravings are bad. I haven't lost anymore weight, but maintained it. I don't have energy to do much. I feel like before I had the surgery. I thought that I would be energetic and happy, but boy was I soo wrong. I know I'm doing everything wrong, but it's like I can't help myself. I don't know what to do or how to get it together. What was my purpose in getting the surgery right? Help! Please give me any advice. Thank you.

Submit "Help!" to Digg Submit "Help!" to del.icio.us Submit "Help!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Help!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I commented on your thread, but I know those can get lost in time. I like the blogs because I can easily find some concern I had.

So reposting

Low energy and cravings are definitely signs of nutrient deficiency in your diet.

I had done fairly well during the holidays, but from Christmas Eve to post New Years Day! I was eating more high fat, sugar and carb loaded foods. It has taken me most of January to cut back and not sub come to cravings. I can't pin point what exactly triggers cravings, but I think it's honey. I was feeling sickly and started putting a few teaspoons of raw honey to my tea. It calmed my stomach, but sure openned a whole lot of other cravings.

Star logging your food daily and look at what you are eating; If you are eating out or eating a lot of processed and pre packed foods, you might be adding too many unnecessary sugars and unhealthy fats, if your pre packed food doesn't have enough fiber its way over processed. Make sure you are taking your multivitamin and protein supplements, drinking plenty of water and add probiotics and enzymes. If possible start adding at least 35 minutes of fast paced walking to your daily activities.

It is okay to eat out, or eat convenience foods, but eat foodstuffs closer to their natural state most of always :-) your body will know what to do with the excess weight, but remember years of yo-yo dieting may have caused your body memory to hold on to unnecessary fat stores.

This journey is a life long process of relearning for us; whole heart, body and mind.
    I've lost 85 lbs and don't feel "energetic". Getting up and out and doing stuff is a mental chore for me, not a physical one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam G
    I've lost 85 lbs and don't feel "energetic". Getting up and out and doing stuff is a mental chore for me, not a physical one.
    Pam, do you think it might be some form of low grade depression? I know it happens to me from time to time. I think when I hit a funk it's related to depression, it takes more effort to stay on program.

Sending you the best of wishes!
    I am in the same situation, lost 85, regained 35 and stayed there. Yes, same as you went back to old eating habits even though I try to make protein and vegies a part of my eating. I guess we need to try to stick with protein and vegies and water, and use fruit as a treat. And try to get some exercise. You could consult with your doctors office they should have a nutritionist that might be able to help you or a psychologist that could help if it is an emotional issue holding you back. Good luck.
    Yes, I do have depression. Been on an antidepressant for a decade now. It helps tremendously, but I still don't want to "do" anything

Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    Pam, do you think it might be some form of low grade depression? I know it happens to me from time to time. I think when I hit a funk it's related to depression, it takes more effort to stay on program.
    The sleeve is a tool and we see this said over and over again but it is completely true. We have to get our minds around the mental aspect of why we did this. You need to try to go back to a liquid clean diet to help rid yourself of the cravings. Start exercising. I am only 12 weeks out but I have tons of energy. I focus on making sure everything I put in my mouth is chock full of nutrients. I eat my lean proteins until I am full and then veggies. Before I put anything in my mouth I remember why I had the surgery. I indulge occasionally to avoid binging.
    I know this is hard. And you are at a place where you feel defeated. But I know you want to be successful and I can see that in your post. I really would suggest going back to your post op beginning phases and try to retrain yourself. Walk every day. Just get out there and do it. Use your support team here. We all want to see each other succeed. When you are struggling, don't reach for something you know won't be good for you....reach out to this group.
    Big hugs.
    low energy and cravings could be lack of protien, try increasing.
    also......this surgery is not all physical. Do you think you may be depressed? nothing wrong if you are. I take meds for depression.
    Just a thought......good luck
    Thank you, I will do my best to get back on track.
    Are you following all the "rules" you learned at the beginning? Protein first, then veggies, then carbs if room (which there probably won't be). Are you getting in you water? Not drinking with or after meals? Taking your vitamins? Exercising?

It seems impossible that if you are eating how we should you are not losing weight. Maybe you are eating the wrong foods, grazing, whatever. I know I could graze all day if I wanted to.

I think my secret to success was my positive attitude. I was thrilled to be losing weight, it was fun. I know I can't tell someone to be happy, but it sure helps. Try to look at the bright side, like you lost 50 pounds already. That's huge! I'm going through this right now after breaking my neck and ribs, instead of being depressed (which I was for a while) I have changed my attitude to feeling amazingly blessed that I am alive! I researched C2 fractures and in most people it results in death. How lucky am I?

If you feel you are suffering from major depression, see a doctor please.