Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

TarotAces

6 days post op

Rate this Entry
I KNOW that I will be missing lots of things people would probably like to know but I didn't intend on actually making a blog post, just a quick update. So, hopefully this quick update will be enough until I can order my thoughts and feelings enough to actually write about the experience itself; which is guaranteed to be a LONG post.

I've been getting my fluids in (64 oz give or take, since about the 4th day post op) without too much difficulty; there is a bit of discomfort when the fluid enters the stomach. I'm still teaching myself how long to wait between my sips and how large a sip I can take, etc.

I still have tenderness where my drain was taken out, and I guess my memory foam mattress makes it a bit more difficult on my tummy muscles to roll over in the middle of the night. Yesterday morning when I re-bandaged my incision sites one stitch was oozing a small amount of blood; which I am chalking up to me likely having strained it during the night by trying to roll over (harder than it sounds in a super soft memory foam bed LOL).

Pro Tip: DO NOT lay on your left side. OMG After dozing on my left side I woke up feeling SUPER nauseated. I don't recommend it. At all. Stay on your 'good side' or back.

DEFINITELY looking forward to Wednesday; It'll be my 1 week post-op weigh in, AND I get to go to full liquids which means I'll get my protein shakes back and will have more vitamins/energy etc. Clears are difficult and I'm DEFINITELY not getting my protein in on clears.

Looking forward to being able to do more and more each week. And to seeing that scale move. It is REALLY hard to make myself wait till Wednesdays to weigh in, but I think it's for the best so I don't obsess over the number every day. Still, the scale is in my line of sight every morning which for now is enough of a reminder to stay focused. lol

I know, it's a very scattered entry and not very informative. So...

Feel free to post questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Submit "6 days post op" to Digg Submit "6 days post op" to del.icio.us Submit "6 days post op" to StumbleUpon Submit "6 days post op" to Google

Comments

Tarot, you're doing great and seem to be adapting well. You are correct about the left side and lots of people have a difficult time turning in bed. I used a pillow to lean on when I finally moved from my recliner to bed The way you describe the liquids going down is the way lots of our patients describe it and I also had that feeling. Looks like you're on track and good luck with the appointment and next phase of food
    So glad to hear that your surgery went well and you aren't having any complications. I was allowed to have my protein shakes right away. My post op was liquid but not clear liquids. I still sleep with a body pillow. I find that I get uncomfortable if I stay in any position for the whole night so I go back and forth from my back to my sides. I did not have any issue with being on my left side but I did not have a drain. Wonder if that has anything to do with it?!
    The left side of the tummy is where the stitches are.

dont be discouraged if there's no loss at the first visit, or even a gain. Good job on the liquids!
    I guess I was lucky. When I got home I could sleep on my side, no problem. I've lost 14 LBS since my surgery which has been 11 days. Not so keyed into that as to the eating part. Getting my water in isn't a problem. I just worry about the eating part. My big challenge is coming up February . I'm going to Jamaica, which I am very familiar with. We used to have a place there. Chicken and fish is plentiful
    How would you say your experience with the Dr. hospital and the hotel was?
    I'm glad you're doing so well. Also, great willpower not weighing yet.

Are you feeling hungry? How was the flight home with your tender belly?
    TarotAces

Great update. Sounds like you are practicing sipping and waiting. Good skill to master ��I experienced the same with water that you are and it does feel odd going into stomach. I drank warm tea and was on skim milk for two weeks which gave me good protein. Fairlife milk has 13g protein in 8oz. I had to drink 4 cups a day. I think that really helped me in the early days and I was not a milk drinker before surgery. All the best to you as you recovery in good spirits.