Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

aglb

3 years out - slid a bit but not going give up.

Rate this Entry
I have added to a few others posts, but not started a post here for awhile - 3years out as of November. Lost about 96 pounds between the pre & post 6 months after surgery - bam - weight loss came to a abrupt halt at 6 months. Wasn't complaining - was thrilled with where I was. A cruise here, a celebration there - 18 pounds slid back on over the last 1 1/2 years. I admit I slid with the protein, grabbed quick easy granola bars & other things that are NOT considered taboo but really do nothing for us. But I have continued to get exercise all along and never fallen back into my sugar addiction - I would have a dessert (small) when there was a special even & others were but never ate things like that at home. Have continued to make sure quality fruits, veggies & protein going in. Still have restriction when I make the right food choices. Have upped my exercise to 2.5 to 3.5 miles 5-6 days per week and started back on my fitness pal logging my food. Each day I am below my allotted calories (partially due to the extra I am given for the exercise) but generally eating about 1100 cal a day. I have been up & down the same 1-2 pounds for 2 months now. ??really?? I have reached out to others in the same range (2-3 years out) to see how they are doing for support. It's tough to log on here and see all the newbies losing weight & so excited. I honestly never ever thought I would have to worry again after having the surgery. I honestly told myself it couldn't happen - but my friends - it can. I won't give up - I will keep doing what I know until those stubborn pounds are lost. I remember seeing posts like this when I was a newby & saying I would never allow that to happen to me... 18 pounds back out of 96 but I am never giving up!

Submit "3 years out - slid a bit but not going give up." to Digg Submit "3 years out - slid a bit but not going give up." to del.icio.us Submit "3 years out - slid a bit but not going give up." to StumbleUpon Submit "3 years out - slid a bit but not going give up." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I truly think that's the ticket -- not giving up. Never quitting. Keeping your health dreams in living technicolor and alive for you.

I'm nearly 2.5 years post-op. If you want to reach out to me, just friend me and we can chat privately.

Ann
    Good luck with getting back on track. I am only 10 weeks out so I don't have any good advice. Just know I am rooting for you!
    May be you need a little more calories? have you tried 1300/1400? because when you exercise 1100 seems too litle.
    I'm one year out next week and after being extra careful for almost two months because I took a medication for my asthma that used to make me gain some much in a few days, I was in a stall for almost two months. Stalls are normal indeed. But it did seem a little long. I did take some artichoke extract to try to get rid of my toxins and also did eat a little more. The scale started to move again..
    I think Ann's offer would be a great source of success for you. Jumpstarting your diet with a 5 day pouch test might just give you the added incentive you need. Maintenance is a challenge because it's just who we are now and the initial excitement, i.e., collarbones, smaller sized clothing, compliments, etc. are now gone and we're accountable to ourselves.
    I wish you luck with getting back on track and I know you can do it!
    I am 2 years 8 months out. I did the same as far as losing. I lost for a good 7 months and then it pretty much stopped for a long time. I lost 94 pounds, and I started fluctuating 5 pounds up and down, but for the most part, I have been able to maintain. Before I had my surgery, I did weight watchers for years. I feel like the knowledge I gained from going there has kept me mindful of what I have put into my mouth as it is easy to fall back into bad habits. I have several times. I had success with WW but my love for food won out in the end. One thing I took away from my meetings that has helped me now was that maintaining your weight was a lot tougher than actually losing it. I believe it. I know different techniques work for different people, but here is what I have done in maintaining. I exercise at least 5 days. I alternate gym and running trails. The days I don't exercise, I try to do activities that keep me moving. Also, I know it is a touchy subject to weigh yourself so much. I think this has been a big key in helping me maintain. During the week, I try to eat as healthy as possible and on the weekends I don't intentionally splurge but if I want something I eat it. So I weigh myself on Monday to see what damage I done over the weekend and what I need to tweak in my diet. I weigh Wednesday to see if I am on track, and then I weigh myself on Friday to see if I can allow myself to indulge over the weekend or if I need to stay on plan. I know this may not work for everyone but it has helped keep me at my goal weight. I don't let it drive me crazy. If I gain a few pounds, I know what I need to do and I do it. I have also done the pouch test or pre-surgery diet a time or two to get me back on track and rid my sugar cravings. Like I said, this is what has worked for me. I hope it can aide in helping you find your right path, but in the big picture, you have done great!!! Pat yourself on the back.
    Raylea00 -- love your post above.
    Raylea00, I kind of have a similar plan and weighing also keeps me self-accountable, which I find is one of the most important tools I've learned. It's what keeps me on track and being accountable is something I think I lacked when I was morbidly obese. If this surgery has taught me one life lesson it's that we are all responsible for our own health and lifestyle, and unless we "step up to the plate" (no pun intended); we will not succeed long term and that's what it's all about; at least to me. (Run-on sentence)
    I am not trying to be rude or judgmental...I am 10 months out and continuously losing...at 99 now with about 27 more to go. I don't see how I can ever be able to eat enough to gain back weight--maybe a few pounds. I eat so very little I don't think it is physically possible. Am I missing something? Will I suddenly wake up one day and be able to finish a sandwich? eat an entire taco?
    Me too, 2.5 years out and I fluctuate between 10-15 pounds also. I guess the honeymoon really is over?
    Me too, 2.5 years out and I fluctuate between 10-15 pounds also. I guess the honeymoon really is over! mr tumnus, enjoy your honeymoon period to the fullest, as time goes by, the pounds try to return. From your lowest weight, you can fluctuate 10 pounds up, but anything higher than that and you better deal with the habits that are returning the weight. It happens to all of us, you have to start really working hard at keeping the weight of after 2-3 years, I can only assume even harder as time goes by.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtumnus
    I am not trying to be rude or judgmental...I am 10 months out and continuously losing...at 99 now with about 27 more to go. I don't see how I can ever be able to eat enough to gain back weight--maybe a few pounds. I eat so very little I don't think it is physically possible. Am I missing something? Will I suddenly wake up one day and be able to finish a sandwich? eat an entire taco?
    YES, you will wake up one day and be able to eat a taco, no problem! Or a piece of pizza, or a small sandwich. Believe me, losing the weight is the EASY part, keeping it off is difficult. You are able to eat more over time. And if you don't eat the right things, you'll be in trouble.

I lost all my weight in 9 months, kept it off for about 2 years without really trying, but now at three years I have to be extra careful. I gained 3 pounds over the holidays and just now got it off. I weigh myself daily. I exercise daily. I will not regain this weight, but I know it will be a life-long journey. (But so worth it!)
    so true - all the comments. But newbies really don't realize that that initial lack of hunger you feel is partially due to the removal of the part of the stomach that generates hunger pains (I was told by my surgeon) the stomach apparently has the ability to regenerate that and eventually you do feel them again. I still cannot eat a whole taco or a whole sandwich - but I gave up bread anyway - its just filler. I go straight for the meat, protein, whatever first and eat the filler second only if I have the room. The problem is not that you can fit so much more - though you can fit a bit more - it is that it doesn't hold me as long, and that as time goes on you can get over confident with your tool and think you can eat crackers instead of ? and it does matter. and you lost all this weight literally eating nothing!! I remember in those early months I was lucky to get in 600-800 calories. Now I am eating 1100- 1200 and apparently that is too much for the calories I burn or I wouldn't be slowly gaining. I long for the honeymoon of the early months. But as I said, not going back and I think what we take from this is what many above are saying - it is a life long journey - don't get cocky - we all had a problem but surgery alone isn't the solution - I was told before I had the surgery that losing weight during the first 1-3 months was 100% the surgery. By 3-6 months it was 75% the surgery, 25% me, by 10 months it was 50% the surgery & 50% me, by 1 1/2 years it is 25% surgery and 75% my choices. I have not lost the restriction, it is what I do with it that makes the difference. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by aglb
    the stomach apparently has the ability to regenerate that and eventually you do feel them again.
    We all start with a different background: weight, age, hormones etc so indeed we will have different results.
    I do believe that part of the results is linked to our nutrition, but other factors like genetic are unpredictable. Rehabnurse posted a link about how some sleevers will just do better because they are better responders and it's linked to their DNA!!.
    Honestly, the more I read and study, the more I feel I know nothing. I finished my 6th (Uni) nutrition class last week. And was reading two more books about fat/sugar but mainly obesity in the past three weeks. I just enrolled in a one full year nutrition course because I'm trying hard to understand......
    I hope at some point I will be able to find a valid system...for myself!
    Because one study that came out two weeks ago said that anyway calories for food are different for everyone! one apple is 50 calories for A but 70 for B !!what the heck!
    I just hope everyone will be able to find the right path at some point...it's obviously complex..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann2
    Raylea00 -- love your post above.
    Thank you, Ann!
    I am about 2.5 years out and weigh myself about 3 times a week so I know if I go over my high point I have set for myself. I fluctuate between 140-150 lbs and if go over the high immediately adjust to get back in the range. I freeze portion controls and eat whatever I want. luckily not a sweet eater but will have a cookie or chocolate once in awhile. The smallest glad containers are my best friend and will always be. I also eat 3-5 times per day depending on what I have. And oh yes the weight will very easily come back on once the honeymoon period ends. I'm just accountable for myself and pay attention to what goes in my mouth and how often.