Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

johnjohn0304

Bikram Yoga

Rate this Entry
I will attend a Bikram Yoga class tomorrow morning. Hot yoga at 105 degrees and 40% humidity, 26 postures, 2 breathing exercises, all in 90 minutes and an awesome feeling of accomplishment when it's over.

Last time I lost weight (pre-surgery LOL), I really enjoyed yoga and it definitely helped build muscle and lose fat. Of course I abandoned it, stopped going to the gym, ate like sh*t again, and gained back 40 lbs...blah blah blah. Since surgery (266 lbs) I've been able to maximize my output at the gym and I'm ready to throw this in the mix. I'm around 215 lbs right now and I'm excited as I know this will take me straight into "onederalnd"!

How is everyone doing with their workouts?

Submit "Bikram Yoga" to Digg Submit "Bikram Yoga" to del.icio.us Submit "Bikram Yoga" to StumbleUpon Submit "Bikram Yoga" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congrats to you. Sounds wonderful!

I'm doing great. My yoga classes (on Tuesday and Thursday - 1.5 hours) are phenomenal. They're not hot yoga. But after 7+ months I'm stronger, calmer, have more muscle mass, my Achilles tendons don't hurt anymore at all (thank you, downward facing dog!), have much better balance, etc.

BTW, we laugh a lot in our yoga class. Never have been in a yoga class like that before. It's super.

I also walk and do aquarobics (it's cold here in the winter, so the pool feels great right now).
    That is something I am very interested in trying. Going to have to research if they have a class near me at a time that works. Right now I am doing my C25K program and strength training.
    I started practicing Bikram in 2010, and along with changing my diet I lost a huge amount of weight in about six months. I kept jumping from studio to studio to get the best pricing. When I moved to Austin, Texas in 2013 the weight had started to creep up. The only Bikram studio here which had six locations was conducting a blind study on cardiovascular effects of Bikram. I jumped at the opportunity because it meant free Bikram, and you probably know that was a huge savings for me. I committed to practice Bikram 3x a week, and not engage in any other exercises or diet efforts for three months. I was put in the non-heated practice meaning the room had to be at a normal temperature of 68-73 degrees. I was delighted! Because you know how torturous the heated practice can be.

Initial tests required a four hour stay at a laboratory at UT where they drew blood, had echo cardiogram, stress tests, MRI's and vein scans as well as the DXA body composition scan to measure lean muscle, fat and bone mass. A lot fun stuff! Completion of study required same tests.

I gained 8 lbs during those 3 months, some of it was lean muscle according to the DXa body composition scan, but I know it was my diet that I had let go by the wayside. Results showed that my major arteries had slight less deposits than the initial tests despite my eating a real bad diet during those three months.

The study is still going
    - https://pureaction.org/project/the-b...a-heart-study/
    - https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02488148

Bottom line is that Bikram or any type of yoga and or exercise along with a nutritious and clean diet can have overall health benefits in the body and mind.

I continue to practice hot yoga, I need in my life! but I don't practice "Bikram yoga" for various reasons (the Yogi lost his way) plus it's ridiculous priced, and since Bikram didn't invent yoga, other studios have won the right to practice hot Yoga at a fraction of what Bikram studios offer.

After seven months post op I am barely getting the nerve to go into hot yoga again. Drink plenty of fluids and electrolytes.

Namaste
    In Lak’Ech
    johnjohn0304 how did you like it?? Tell us about the experience!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    johnjohn0304 how did you like it?? Tell us about the experience!!!
    I loved it! Especially when it was over! 😂 Seriously it was a great experience. In the last two months I've lost so much body mass that I can now perform postures that needed to be "modified" for me in the past because my belly and chest would get in the way. I always knew I had the flexibility and strength in me, but having the VSG helped me prove to myself I can do what everyone else in that studio can do. Any type of yoga, Pilates, Bar Method...throwing something into the mix can make all the difference. This totally pulled my butt out of a little plateau.