Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Jenniferc002

2 week post op follow-ups

Rate this Entry
So today I saw my surgeon and nutritionist for my 2 week follow ups. I told my surgeon about my difficulties with eating and drinking and straight up owned that I was very likely dehydrated and was definitely not getting enough protein. He said it sounded like some acid reflux issues and told me to get an over the counter to see if that helped. He told me that if it didn't get better by Monday then I should give him a call. He said my incisions were looking good though so yay!

My nutritionist was not to happy with me...obviously. She was understanding and supportive but also read me the riot act. She gave me some suggestions and encouragement and told me that if I still had trouble with eating or drinking then I needed to call her within the next few weeks. She also said that by our next appointment I should be well into eating solid foods.

All in all, not to bad I got the medicine for my acid reflux and it helped and I actually ate till I was full at dinner! Liquids are going down good now too!!!!!!

Submit "2 week post op follow-ups" to Digg Submit "2 week post op follow-ups" to del.icio.us Submit "2 week post op follow-ups" to StumbleUpon Submit "2 week post op follow-ups" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm glad the reflux MEDS are helping! Carry on and I'm sure you'll be fine.
    That stinking acid reflux. It causes a plethora of issues for us sleevers. The good news is finding the right antacid can help immensely. What kind did you get?
    I know it seems harsh that your nutritionist was reading you the riot act. But she is coming at you from a place of concern. Because if we are not giving our bodies the proper fuel then we can get really sick. What are you currently able to eat/drink??
    ALL bariatric patients will get hydratation issues at some point. It took me almost three months to be able to drink enough and have enough protein, indeed I had to have protein shakes because with only food that was impossible.
    Just try your best to sip all day and don't forget to take your PPI, it does help to heal. Try to have your dinner at least two hours before bed time, that's important too.
    My surgeon give a PPI to all his patients post-op, a few are able to stop it at one month, for many they will have to take it for several months. I'm almost one year out and was able to go gradually from 30 mg to 15, and now I take it every two or three days. I hope to stop it at some point.
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I found an otc, generic acid reducer at Walgreens that began working right away. It's been easier to eat and drink since. I am doing well, not feeling so fatigued. I've also started keeping a food diary but yesterday I realized that I'm probably going to have to set an alarm to remember to eat cause yesterday I went about 5 hours between meals and I only ate because I knew I needed to. I'm trying hard to find new ways to get in my protein in. Last night my autistic, 11 yr son saw a box of sugar free pudding and he asked if he could make it for me. I added in 60g of protein to it and I'm waiting till snack time to have some. Anyone else have any ideas? Is it ok to drink a whole protein drink yet?