Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Fatbgone

When do you start to eat more that 1 or 2 bites of food.

Rate this Entry
I'm 7, almost 8 weeks post surgery and expected to be able to eat more by this time. I'm not in love with prote in shakes and would like to start eating food.
I can take a bite or 2, but then I feel it.
Is this normal? Should I go see my doctor again?
The discomfort subsides when the food digest, but it sucks until then.
I am trying to not eat and drink together.
The plus side of this is that I'm losing weight and that was the goal. I just want to know if this is normal.

Submit "When do you start to eat more that 1 or 2 bites of food." to Digg Submit "When do you start to eat more that 1 or 2 bites of food." to del.icio.us Submit "When do you start to eat more that 1 or 2 bites of food." to StumbleUpon Submit "When do you start to eat more that 1 or 2 bites of food." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It was probably 3 months before I could manage more than a bite or two. It was 4 months before I really felt comfortable eating most anything solid and 6 months before I could eat anything that resembled a "meal". At 3 years out, believe me, there are many days I Wish for that strict restriction.
    My surgeon cleared me to eat "everything" at one month but for at least three months it was easier to eat soups. I mixed my meat/protein or tofu with my veggie soup or split peas soup and that way was so much easier. Also when eating soft food you still need to eat bites the size of a peanut for at least 3 months and forget about drinking with meals at all. If you drink you can't eat and you need your protein. I had a hard time getting enough protein for months, even with the protein shakes. In one month or two you should feel much better.
    I am 8.5 weeks out. I can only eat 1-2 bites of food as well. I can take my time and wait and eventually get another bite or two in. I do supplement my protein intake with my EAS Advant Edge protein shake. It is the only one I like so far. I don't always get all my protein in but I am trying. I am not too worried about it. I have energy and I feel good. I know it will get better and easier in time. I had a pretty good idea what to expect since my sister had the surgery 5 years ago. Also the softer, moister a food is the easier it is. If something is dryer and thicker it makes me full quicker and gives me discomfort.
    I'm over 7-months post op and sometimes I forget I have had Gastric Sleeve surgery, I'm not overly eating, but I was getting a little worried about it so I started logging my food again, and last few days calories are at about 1150 same as I was eating two and three months ago, and still losing the same amount of weight which has been between 4-5 lbs a month. I still cannot eat a meal in one seating, nor do I want to. I'm scared of the day that I will be able to.
    I am a couple weeks from my 1 year surgeversary and although I am not at goal weight, I am very happy with how far I've gotten, I am 124 lbs, I'm a size 0 in jeans and an XS in tops so that's as small as I'd like to be lol. Anyway, my point is that some days I feel like I'm eating a lot more than I'm supposed to. When I overeat I always throw up, but a lot of times it just feels uncomfortable. Maybe I need to start tracking again. My hubby is thinking of getting the surgery in February so hopefully we can help each other. I know he will need my help so by helping him I will be helping myself by going back to the basics
    I am also very scared of eventually being able to eat like I used before surgery. So if you're getting all your daily vitamins , water and protein , I would say enjoy your new tummy!! After all, the surgery was intended to make you eat less right? I think it's doing the right thing!!
    I'm 4 years out and I can barely eat a half of a burger without starting to feel it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindle
    It was probably 3 months before I could manage more than a bite or two. It was 4 months before I really felt comfortable eating most anything solid and 6 months before I could eat anything that resembled a "meal". At 3 years out, believe me, there are many days I Wish for that strict restriction.
    Do you find you are overeating now that your stomach has adjusted? I am scared of that as well.
    Thank you for the advice. I do find I get hungry, but I quickly fill satisfied.
    I am still throwing up at least once a week and only eating a bite or two.
    I am losing weight like I'm supposed to, or maybe even quicker. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
    I know this is a process, I just worry because I thought I could eat food by now. Looks like I just need to be more patient.
    Isn't it amazing how much food people eat? Here we are living off of so few calories and surviving. TV commercials kill me. They show these huge servings and everyone is eating them. I never realized how much I overate before. This surgery definitely saved my life.
    I am so thankful that I had it done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatbgone
    Do you find you are overeating now that your stomach has adjusted? I am scared of that as well.
    Nope, that's where the lifestyle and psychological changes come in to play and ultimately determine your failure or success. I could certainly regain if I let my sleeve dictate what I eat. But mentally, I won't ever let that happen.
    You will eat small amounts for a while, just listen to your body. DO NOT DRINK 30 min PRIOR or AFTER eating, you will not be able to eat as much and it just flushes the nutrients your body desperately needs through you. It may seem difficult but it is vital to your success. I have always used the Carnation Instant Breakfast, the regular one, because I can't stand protein shakes. You do what you have to do but do not drink and eat at the same time!!! It will get better! Best thing I have ever done!!! Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatbgone
    Look at Kindle's photo....if she's overeating, she sure isn't showing it! Lol
    To me it sounds like you should contact your MD. 1-2 bites is NOT enough nutrition. Are you getting your protein in? I'm 5 weeks out and can easily eat 1/3 to 1/2 cup of food. Protein first.
    I'm a Registered nurse (GI specialty), and while I can appreciate everyone's journey is not the same, this seems wrong. Checking in with your MD can't hurt!