Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Bagawk!

Operation McSkinny Jeans

Rate this Entry
Day 3 Post-op

I am still in A LOT of pain but it seems a wee bit better than Day 2. Still, it is enough pain that I avoid getting up/down and walking. Probably not a good plan to avoid the walking but this pain is nearly unbearable, for me. This day is similar to previous with exception that the pain is slightly less severe and my nausea is under control with the use of medication. I would rate my pain 8/10, to give it some perspective.

Submit "Operation McSkinny Jeans" to Digg Submit "Operation McSkinny Jeans" to del.icio.us Submit "Operation McSkinny Jeans" to StumbleUpon Submit "Operation McSkinny Jeans" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

oh wow sorry to hear you still in pain im having my surgery the end of jan or feb 2017 im scared. any advice on how you handling the liquids? what viatmins to take as im preparing for my journey? i hope thinks get better soon for you...thanks
    Sorry you had so much pain after surgery. I was blessed to only have strong pain that first hour after surgery. And when I left the hospital I only needed my pain meds like 4x. It is going to get better. Big hugs!
    Quote Originally Posted by esmeraldareyes
    oh wow sorry to hear you still in pain im having my surgery the end of jan or feb 2017 im scared. any advice on how you handling the liquids? what viatmins to take as im preparing for my journey? i hope thinks get better soon for you...thanks
    Everyone is different. I would recommend that you ask your surgeon for a prescription liquid anti nausea and pain reliever. I was fortunate to only need my anti nausea like 3x and my pain meds like 4 x. The first few days were hard to get in my liquids. My throat was sore from intubation during surgery. And physically you just do not want any. And you can only take small sips or you will feel sick. I didn't want the sweet taste of protein shakes. I preferred to have broth and creamed soups. I could only take sips of the broth or 1 or 2 spoons of the creamed soups. But it did get better every day. I made sure I was walking around as much as possible but I did take little cat naps often. I was well enough to go back to work 1 week after surgery. I do have a desk job, though. If my job was more strenuous, maybe 1 week would've been too soon. Once you start eating foods, you can only eat 1-2 bites very slowly or you will feel really uncomfortable. You learn really quickly how to work with your new tummy. I still have to plan so that I can get my protein and water in and I am 8.5 weeks post op. I still cannot eat very much but I have learned when to stop and to eat more frequently. Overall, post op hasn't been too bad and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by esmeraldareyes
    oh wow sorry to hear you still in pain im having my surgery the end of jan or feb 2017 im scared. any advice on how you handling the liquids? what viatmins to take as im preparing for my journey? I hope thinks get better soon for you...thanks
    Please don't be afraid. I've been reading all over the net about other patient experiences and while it seems to vary it doesn't appear that my experience is unusual,... its just not the norm. From what I've gathered, many if not most do not have this much pain, this far out from surgery.

Even with the pain I've experienced so far I would do it all over again for the opportunity that lies ahead.
    I'm sorry I forgot to answer your question about vitamins and liquids.

My surgeon puts his patients on the HMR diet which takes all the guess work out of it. HMR provides the shakes, meals for pre-op and later down the road as well as all the vitamins needed. With all the information to remember I like that,.. and the taste. Everything has a pleasant taste. What I don't like, necessarily, is the cost.

I tried a premier protein shake yesterday after hearing so many rave reviews about it. I calculated the cost of a premier protein shake in my area to be $1.67 (160 cal, 30g protein) while an HMR shake is approx $2.62 (110 cal, 15g protein).

HMR also has a chewable bariatric vitamin and calcium chew that I am taking daily. While the lack of guesswork has been nice I don't see myself staying on HMR once this post-op diet is less complicated, due to the cost. I think I paid around $225 for an HMR diet package that covered the 2 week pre-op liver reduction diet, one week post-op and about a 30 day supply of post-op vitamins (maybe more on the vits).

Liquids. Spring water. Spring water. Spring water. I've also got several tubes of New Whey Liquid Protein that I add to a bottle of water twice a day (ideally). Each tube packs 42g of protein. It tastes like fruit, dirt and sticks unless you mix it with a bottle of water. Then it tastes just like punch!