Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Muted_Tummy

6 months done - what's the haps?

Rate this Entry
So, life as a post-bari in my crazy work life continues to be a challenge to my type A givings. What has "gone by the wayside" are my diligent notes and tracking of food nutrients this month. Daily I am tallying in head, but, either don't have the time to put in phone app, phone is dead, data is out or I forget.

How I miss my data this month.

The real issue is always UNDER EAT at this point. There have been days that I think I am ok, then do plug it in and am around 750 - 800 calories. So I really have to go back to diligence to make sure my calories are up where they need to be.

I haven't done measurements since month 4. I hope to do them tmrw morning. But scale and I are daily pals....this I can share.

Scale: 7.6 lbs this month
I hit wonderland and am working my way down the 90's at a healthy clip.
Weight loss pattern was most likely disrupted by medication I am on, as well as, possibly undereating too many days due to not tracking (not hitting the sweet spot of 950 - 1200). The weeks went as follows:

Week 21: .8 (shot given)
Week 22: 0
Week 23: 2.8
week 24: 1.4
week 25: 2.6

And week 25 included Thanksgiving thank you very much.

Capacity: I measured. I can do a cup (yahoo).
For pre-surg who wonder "what will I eat when"....here are examples of take out foods I can eat at 6 months: one sushi roll, one slice of pizza, half a sandwich, one bacon/egg/cheese wake up wrap. I NEVER wanted to be stopped by my restriction and trapped into 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup for life. I wanted to feel satisfied after a normal skinny person/ Hollywood portion. I am just shy of that and am confident that by 18 months I'll be at the cup and a half I hope for. MORE ROOM FOR VEGGIES!

Calories: I continue to hover between 950 and 1250 calories. When I am being diligent I shoot for 40% carbs, 30% protein and fat.

Food issues: The only thing that "bothers" me is onions. I am adept at burping and I believe this is what has helped me recognize a "false full" sleeve that just needs a burp to then continue on. But, onions are a menace. Takes 30 minutes of forced burping and just consciousness of tummy that I hate. It's not pain, just feel like super bloated. Boo hiss. I have no issues with cabbage or brussel sprouts though....?

Sizes: I am firmly a 16 in any brand, and a "large" when s,m, l, xl are the choices.

Non-Scale Losses: So this is something we don't talk about much...at least I didn't see it pre-surg - except for saggy skin and flip flop boobs. But, loss of facial fat.....it's a bitter trade. The naso-labial lines (nose to mouth) are beginning to show and I don't like it. It's like aging over night. My neck is also just plain weird where my neck meets my underchin. I am hoping that will at least adjust a year out when my bod starts to redistribute fat a little.

Everything is not surg related....
So this month brought in a new treatment to help me tame my uterus. The side effects suck. I had to have additional meds added as the shot caused a non stop period that rivaled a shark attack....for 4 weeks. So, my iron tanked. You really have to be on top of all your health post op as your Bari folks think everything that is off in blood is surg or diet and your others docs are usually clueless about the bari side of things. YOU have to be on top of it all. Remind. Speak up.

I have stabilized as of five days ago and the weightloss returned after the initial shock to my body (oh and joy of joys weight gain is a common side effect - ugh). However, painful, relentless constipation (another side effect) showed up. Thank goodness I knew so much from bari life preparedness! Good grief.

Here are some things I attribute to my success so far...

CHEW - I still consciously work on chewing....chew chew chew and then some more. Slowing it down, savoring each bite....let's you get more in there and let's you really enjoy the tastes and texstures. Every bite counts!

Eat often - I still eat 5 times a day most days.

Eat your veggies as soon as you can.
Post op diet is nasty and processed often. I am slowly getting back to my whole food, produce heavy life now that I can fit some in.

What I am eating today:

bfast - 15 Kashi Chocolate Mini Wheats
followed 30 minutes later by Green Tea with organic Honey

am snack - Oikos Greek Yogurt

Lunch - Kale/Spinach Salad with turkey, dried cranberries, walnuts and feta cheese (with balsamic vinegrette)

pm snack - 10 red grapes, a lite babybel cheese, Emerald Cocoa Almond snack pack

dinner - Linguini with clams!

pm snack: Protein Coffee (1/2 a Vanilla Premier Protein used as creamer for Coffee)

notice how I am putting iron food in my diet....trying to help my body through food and not just supplements.

Calories: 1091
Macros: Carbs 38% (105g), Fat 32% (40 g), Protein 30% (82 g)

Doctor stuff: My 6 month check up is today. All bloodwork (I have access to all labs) seems normal to me with just a dip in some iron measurements. I wasn't fasting so glucose and cholesterol were higher than last time but the A1C and those types of measurements are all good. They forgot to check my D so I am requesting that today. My B12 is still through the roof so I suspect they will cut that back even further.

Sleeved life is good!

Submit "6 months done - what's the haps?" to Digg Submit "6 months done - what's the haps?" to del.icio.us Submit "6 months done - what's the haps?" to StumbleUpon Submit "6 months done - what's the haps?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Post Op Info , Post Op Nutrition

Comments

You have the most informative posts! Thank you.

My B12 at my 2week check up was high.n They took blood at my appointment and sent me copy in the mail. What is that about. I see the doc next week so will ask him also.
    You are doing great!
    And don't worry, my skin was at it's worth at month six. It will get better. I don't use that many cosmetics, but like a face cream with retinol and at night only Pure Rosehip Seed Oil. It did help to be able to take more omegas also after month 6.
    I have a big issue with my iron too. My doc in France put me under a 80mgr per day and I was still deficient plus the medication was making me sick. I do eat food with iron but that was never enough. I switched brands several times and for the past months it's finally getting better. I use Rainbow Light, Certified Plant-Source Iron 2 or 3 times a day. It's made of organic curry leaves, for some reason it's even better than the other one from the same brand I was using before (Rainbow Light, Complete Iron, Mini-Tabs).
    Taking care of business
    You are real as they come
    Hey there!

I try to remind myself that it is "Progress not perfection." With extended holiday family visits it has been a struggle to keep up with my logging too, since my girls are obsessed with instram and photo apps its been eady to sort of track what I eat with photos i take of my meals. In fact, my LoseIt app now has the capability to upload photos to track food later.

I hope you get to feeling healthy and well all around!

Don't know if it affected you, but I had post elecion blues to say the least.

Hugs!
    urdoinitrite

Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    Hey there!

I try to remind myself that it is "Progress not perfection." With extended holiday family visits it has been a struggle to keep up with my logging too, since my girls are obsessed with instram and photo apps its been eady to sort of track what I eat with photos i take of my meals. In fact, my LoseIt app now has the capability to upload photos to track food later.

Hugs!
    I had post election blues 8 and 4 years ago....this time....I was whoopin' it up! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl
    Hey there!

Hugs!
    Shirl, I still swing back and forth between fetal position and screaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam G
    I had post-election blues 8 and 4 years ago....this time....I was whoopin' it up! lol
    I hate Trump; he represents everything I have spent a lifetime opposing. (I don't care if you are conservative or liberal, republican or democrat.) What I oppose is ignorance, particularly the willfully cultivated kind.

You may have supported Trump because he is anti-immigrant, anti-abortion, is a pro-gun, pro-war, nuclear proliferation zealot. Or you may have voted for Trump because he is pro-immigrant, pro-abortion, he hates assault weapons, wars, and nuclear proliferation. Either way, you would be right, and there is plenty of evidence to support your reasoning.

Hey, by the way, I am in Houston area this weekend on the way to my beloved Guatemala.
    Great post. Very helpful to see what the day to day is like 6 months post op. I'm only at almost 5 weeks. Starting to realize I need to start tracking everything. I've been playing it by ear since I can't eat much anyways. Today I made a conscious effort to get more protein.