Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

SpringRose

Chronic Back Pain since surgery.

Rate this Entry
After some research on other gastric sleeve sites, I have found others have experienced this upper back and beck pain I have since surgery. Can any other my vets here say how they control their pain? I am so desperate.

I am almost 3-years out. I have had several cordisone injections done from mid back to my neck, and am now on Cymbalta. The shots worked on all but one muscles in the back--the worst one. And, after 6 months the Cymbalta is not working much on pain. At first it was a miricle. If they raise the dose I'm afraid my motivation with school and work will decrease. It's been a fight anyway. And I don't currently have insurance to go to the doc a dozen times to find something new. He is new to this. Nobody in the area has been able to help.

I never had the back issues before surgery. Just neck issues. The pain without anything is almost enabling and I don't know what to do. I am only 30 and working on a degree for a career. The meds make me feel like a zombie and my kids and school work suffer. But without I can't function I hurt so bad. I am from a small town and the doctors say it's not related to the surgery and nobody else has had an issue. So they looked at everything and found nothing. My doctor is lost and has no clue what to do for me.

Have you found anything to help?

Thanks!

Submit "Chronic Back Pain since surgery." to Digg Submit "Chronic Back Pain since surgery." to del.icio.us Submit "Chronic Back Pain since surgery." to StumbleUpon Submit "Chronic Back Pain since surgery." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

What have imaging tests shown? Have you been to a neurologist for muscle testing? Have you tried chiropractic or acupuncture? Have you tried yoga?

Do you want to live on pain meds the rest of your life or get to the root cause and fix it?
    Have you had an MRI? I haven't had the surgery yet but last year my upper top right near shoulder blade was unbearable painful...after weeks of not being able to function an MRI showed I had a herniated disc on T5-6...even though it was my neck the pain was in my upper back...basically after a few months it started feeling better but I had two shots a few months apart and that helped too...I will pray for you and hope you find relief soon ❤️
    Hi, Pam! Definitely want to be OFF the Cymbalta. It is the only "pain" medication I am currently on. I haven't had any muscle testing done. After my heart attacks they thought it was related to that; realized it wasn't. I wasn't schocked. I go to the chiropractor regularly. I am down to once a month. It doesn't help.

I have not tried acupuncture or yoga. Could you suggest a yoga or explain what types to look for or how it will help a beginner? Also, I know nothing about accupunture. Have you done this?

I am supposed to start grad school next fall and need off the Cymbalta before then. And, I really want to feel my age. Thanks for the thoughts. I did try some DoTerra, but without success. Though I have heard having someone that specializes in them to work with helps????
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby2
    Have you had an MRI? I haven't had the surgery yet but last year my upper top right near shoulder blade was unbearable painful...after weeks of not being able to function an MRI showed I had a herniated disc on T5-6...even though it was my neck the pain was in my upper back...basically after a few months it started feeling better but I had two shots a few months apart and that helped too...I will pray for you and hope you find relief soon ❤️
    Really? I have not had an MRI. I may have to suggest it to my doctor. I am currently trying to find a medical coverage I can afford but my doctor never suggested that. After the cortisone worked everywhere but the one area he said it must be depression and tried me on a few different SSRI's. Those all backfired; as we knew they would from using them for anxiety in the past. But then Cymalta worked so I thought "maybe he was right." But the only good thing about the Cymbalta is the back pain being gone. WIth it I need 10 hours of sleep. I can't think. And it takes me forever to think of anything. *sigh* I am so frustrated.

I have seen others had the same issue but everyone just says pain pills. I wont take them. They knock me out and, I feel, cover the problem not fix it.
    How did you learn you needed an MRI?
    Thanks for the information.
    I had some back issues between months 5 and 7. Weight loss was at it's pick, I figured my gravity center just changed and that was a trigger. But I had back issues since I was a kid (scoliosis and hyperlordosis) plus a car accident that damaged my neck ... it's just quiet for years and comes back once in a while.
    Since at the same time my D vitamin deficiency (and iron) was really bad, plus I had a virus, took cortisone, and blacked out and had injuries from the fall...and I was traveling for several weeks and not sleeping in my (very good) bed....I thought is was just a snow ball issue.
    So I took huge doses of d vitamin (doctor's orders), magnesium (for the stress) and arnica (for the pain). Plus more omega 3/6/9. Did some yoga/stretching. It was gone within a few weeks.
    Also that time was stressful for me, and I know for sure that major stress does take its toll on my back each time....
    SANDRA3,
    Thank you for the reply!
    It sounds like you had a rough go at first. I am glad you are doing better now. I have never heard of magnesium for stress. I have also never EVER heard of arnica. I will look into this. Omega is something I am supposed to take for my heart health and always forget. I am hearing a lot about yoga. I am going to have to look into this. Maybe my strength training was more harmful than helpful?
    Yoga is a lot so stretching, which us a good thing, and toning, which is also a good thing.

If it's a herniated disc, decompression will help. But only the MRI will see a disc. You could also try an inversion table to see if it helps before getting more pricey things done. People swear by them!
    [ I have never heard of magnesium for stress. I have also never EVER heard of arnica. I will look into this. Omega is something I am supposed to take for my heart health and always forget. [/QUOTE]
    I've been dealing with serious health issues my all life...basically starting from the age of 8. Conventional medicine and drugs did save my life more than once.
    But at some point early in my twenties I started to try phytotherapy and homeopathy because I always have issues with side effect when I take a medication. I also did acupuncture for months to help with my allergies, it did help a lot in just one year.
    Arnica is good for many issues, there is a gel (brand Boiron) to help with bruising. I always had a tube in my purse when the kids were younger. I take arnica in pellets or sublingual tablets for pain, but also to help with bruising or even after surgery.
    Magnesium is a great stress relief, but in my case because I have IBS, I need to take really small doses (I would take it in three times during the day with food) or I'm running...dark chocolate is also full of magnesium!
    Omegas are really important for your heart...but also many other body part: bones, skin etc...I currently take "Now Foods, Omega 3-6-9, 1000 mg" but also eat salmon often, and nuts everyday.
    To get you to take you pills everyday, you could get one of those pill organizer, stock it up once a week and keep it in your purse. That way you always have it with you. Just try to get it out for each meal, after a few days it will become natural.
    Strength training is not always good for your back, I did injure myself at the gym once. But you should ask a trainer about it because it will depend on what you are doing and how.
    I was swimming a lot after my car accident, and also taking ballet classes, but I had to stop tennis for sure.... yoga is slow impact, I did classes for years and now I usually follow a video because that way I can do it everywhere even when I travel. take care!
    Also, I forgot to add...but little things like a purse too heavy can damage my back. During my last three weeks trip, I decided to keep in a closet my (large) purse and switch for a backpack. I had to carry a few pounds with me all the time and that was a wise decision...